Hillsborough disaster - 20 years on

Anyone noticed that the scousers are trying to rearrange a possible clash of a 2nd leg champions league tie with the anniversary date of this?

Im unsure whether they should, i think it would be good for them to play on this day, then again i was'nt invovled in the disaster so i could feel differently to the game being played that day. I just feel due to the emotional feeling swirling around that day it could spur the liverpool players on and also use the game as a tribute to those who died! what do others think?

found this interesting article also:

Guardian Article

Edited by Oafc88

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the reason they don't want to play on the 15th is that they usually hold the memorial service at Anfield,and if Liverpool are playing that day they'll have to move it to one of the cathedrals,neither of which are big enough to accomodate how many people will want to go. But also most Liverpool fans don't want the match that day because it'll be too upsetting. i had family at Hillsborough and they're always in bits on the anniversary, and it'll be even worse this year with it being the 20th and all the media coverage. obviously it'll still be in people's minds if the match is moved to the 14th or 16th,and you're right,it might spur the players on, but it's not fair on the fans to play it on the anniversary itself.

Excellent article in the Guardian,horrible to read.it's sickening that even after the crush happened,lives could still have been saved if ambulances and the fire brigade (who had wire cutters to cut the fence) had been allowed onto the pitch,the police had concentrated on getting people out of the pens rather than stopping fans fighting (which they weren't),the major incident plan had been activated by the emergency services....It was so preventable, at every stage, and no-one's ever been held accountable for it.

Part of the reason they don't want to play on the 15th is that they usually hold the memorial service at Anfield,and if Liverpool are playing that day they'll have to move it to one of the cathedrals,neither of which are big enough to accomodate how many people will want to go. But also most Liverpool fans don't want the match that day because it'll be too upsetting. i had family at Hillsborough and they're always in bits on the anniversary, and it'll be even worse this year with it being the 20th and all the media coverage. obviously it'll still be in people's minds if the match is moved to the 14th or 16th,and you're right,it might spur the players on, but it's not fair on the fans to play it on the anniversary itself.

Excellent article in the Guardian,horrible to read.it's sickening that even after the crush happened,lives could still have been saved if ambulances and the fire brigade (who had wire cutters to cut the fence) had been allowed onto the pitch,the police had concentrated on getting people out of the pens rather than stopping fans fighting (which they weren't),the major incident plan had been activated by the emergency services....It was so preventable, at every stage, and no-one's ever been held accountable for it.

Ah okay, that is probably the best idea to get the game moved, i hope uefa dont make them play on that date and they pull their finger out, as their current stance seems to be "we'll do the best we can" which still leaves it open!

With the guardian article, certainly reveals a little more to what happened that day, with myself not being old enough to remember it (i was 1) it sickening to think there was people dead while they were stood! madness that no one has ever been held accountable for it, it could at least provide some sort of justice for the lost loved ones and their families and also the survivors and their mental scars which they have had to bear along with the problems this has brought their own families.

Gerrards cousin died at Hillsborough... Would be tough for him to play...

It should be moved... Some things are more important than playing a game... Respect to the dead and all that...

Will never forget that day, awful... :(

Yeah, I remember the news filtering through at Half Time when we played Sunderland on that day. Then getting home to see it unfolding more. "Around 15 confirmed dead" the news said at teatime. So many more to follow.

I think what rammed it home even more, was going to Hillsborough for our game with Wednesday in October 1990 (Huge Latics following, 2-0 lead turned into 2-2 by two Sheridan penalties, great day!). I had a seat on the front row of the Leppings Lane stand, which hung over the paddock below where the disaster was, and seeing the crush barriers warped and bent all out of shape just hit me like a bombshell. Horrible to see 3 years after the event, but to be there, stuck in the middle of it must truly have been dreadful.

Oh, and the Jimmy McGovern dramatisation starring Christopher Eccleson is mindblowingly brilliant too. Even though Eccleson is a huge Man United fan, he played that part to perfection.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Yeah, I remember the news filtering through at Half Time when we played Sunderland on that day. Then getting home to see it unfolding more. "Around 15 confirmed dead" the news said at teatime. So many more to follow.

I think what rammed it home even more, was going to Hillsborough for our game with Wednesday in October 1990 (Huge Latics following, 2-0 lead turned into 2-2 by two Sheridan penalties, great day!). I had a seat on the front row of the Leppings Lane stand, which hung over the paddock below where the disaster was, and seeing the crush barriers warped and bent all out of shape just hit me like a bombshell. Horrible to see 3 years after the event, but to be there, stuck in the middle of it must truly have been dreadful.

Oh, and the Jimmy McGovern dramatisation starring Christopher Eccleson is mindblowingly brilliant too. Even though Eccleson is a huge Man United fan, he played that part to perfection.

remember when that was on telly - was amazing, can you get it on DVD?

fair do's to UEFA - needed to be done - my old man took me on boxing day when we drew 1-1 in first div and the lower tier was still untouched then, I remember the Wayne....(Franklin was it) testimonial when we played Liverpool, i was stood in the main stand paddock talking to an 'older boy' and make a remark about hillsborough that i thought was football banter without even understanding as a 7 year old or something - needless to say he was not happy and i have always felt bad about that, he was a scouse lad and his reaction made me realise how out of order it was...live and learn

I always wondered what happened with that section just after the disaster, I know eventually it became seated. Also was the match meant to be live on TV?

I always wondered what happened with that section just after the disaster, I know eventually it became seated. Also was the match meant to be live on TV?

It was left dormant until around 1991/92 I think, as when we played them at the game Longtimeblue mentioned (It was NYD actually, not Boxing Day) it was then seated (I think). In any case they were playing Semi Finals there again from 1992 onwards and woudn't have done if that was still a terrace).

I'm not sure the game was live on TV was it? I know the re-arranged game at Old Trafford was (a Sunday) but the initial game was on a Saturday afternoon which didn't normally have televised games on.

We drew 2-2 at home to Sunderland that day. Remember the Match announcer of the time Chris Henthorne? Relaying the half-times and simply saying there had been a number of crush injuries at Hillsborough and nothing else really. It was only when I got home the true horror began to unfold. A day I will never forget and one unfortunately that had been an accident waiting to happen. When I think of the :censored:-holes I've been to over the years following Latics and how crowded some of those crumbling ends must have been when the big-biys rolled in makes it all the more surprising it hadn't happened time and time again. peopole penned in like animals and treated with contempt. West Brom, Middlesbrough and Notts County immediately spring to mind.

Oh and the McGovern drama - harrowing! Watched it and it moved me to tears...

No, Semi-Finals were not televised live at the time - just shown on Match of the day that night. The replayed match was indeed televised live from Old Trafford, a month after the disaster. The first year they televised both live was 89/90.

remember when that was on telly - was amazing, can you get it on DVD?

Not available on DVD but you can download it. i wouldn't be surprised if it was repeated on ITV in April. Really important programme, i remember people from the Hillsborough Family Support Group saying at the time that it had achieved more in 2 hours than they'd managed in 7 years.

When I think of the :censored:-holes I've been to over the years following Latics and how crowded some of those crumbling ends must have been when the big-biys rolled in makes it all the more surprising it hadn't happened time and time again. peopole penned in like animals and treated with contempt. West Brom, Middlesbrough and Notts County immediately spring to mind.

Southampton away in the Littlewoods Cup quarter finals when about 1,000 got locked out of the ground. I was lucky being 14 and a kind steward let me stand on the steps at the back in the middle pen giving me a fantastic view. The Latics fans below me looked absolutely packed - ramjammed. I'm positive a few Tics jumped the turnstiles that evening.

• 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine was in the Forest section that day, and said they could see full well what was going on whilst the authorities did nothing. Scary.

Authorities who were far to focused on the hooligan potential and not on the basic safety of fans.

Total incomeptence killed people. Not terracing.

I remember driving back to Kendal that evening. The M61 & M62 were full of Liverpool fans returning from Hillsborough. The service station (Birch?) was eerily quiet as hundreds queued to use the public telephones.

An awful day.

This Wednesday at 9pm on ITV 3.

Hillsborough

Docu-drama, first shown in 1999, following three families through the catastrophe and subsequent legal struggles following the deaths of 96 people as a result of overcrowding on the terraces during the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday. Christopher Eccleston stars, with Ricky Tomlinson, Annabelle Apsion, Rachel Davies, Tracey Wilkinson and Mark Womack SUB

Very sad day indeed. No matter who you think was to blame, it must have been truly awful for those Liverpool fans. I was about 9 at the time and coming back from Butlins - we had the game tuned in on the radio and the commentators were relaying the horrific events as it unfolded..we knew it was bad, but the next day reading the papers was worse. Remember it like it was yesterday. I think it affected a lot of people at the time, even non-football fans. I was too young to remember the Bradford City fire but that must have been awful as well - I've seen footage of the fire and it's horrifying.

Edited by Yard Dog

Lots of people where at fault for what happened at Hillsborough:

• The Police (the vast majority of the blame has to rest here)
  • The FA
  • The Clubs
  • The Fans - (I am talking about the general behaviour of Football fans at that time aka the reason for the fences in the first place)

Thankfully for everyone the Taylor report put right many of these issues even if it might be time for a bit of a review in regards to it.

Will never forget the day... Shock me to the core and had a lasting effect...

RIP the 96

Lots of people where at fault for what happened at Hillsborough:

• The Police (the vast majority of the blame has to rest here)
  • The FA
  • The Clubs
  • The Fans - (I am talking about the general behaviour of Football fans at that time aka the reason for the fences in the first place)

Thankfully for everyone the Taylor report put right many of these issues even if it might be time for a bit of a review in regards to it.

Will never forget the day... Shock me to the core and had a lasting effect...

RIP the 96