PLEASE get a grip..............

Come on folks.

OK I wasnt at BP yesterday (Hands Up!) wish I was. but

reading the posts on here....wow...what do you honestly expect. Tranmere have been doing really well bar the odd result. We have been poor. But some of the posts are simply ridiculous. What most appear to expect are miracles rather than progress.

OK its sad we lost but its hardly new for latics to do something like that. Players too inconsistent for ANY manager. Its happened for many years long before I was born. Joe is hardly going to stop beyond May if the reaction is as bad as this. Who the hell do you want in charge....give the bloke a chance for success. Its far from certain it can be done but we would be challenging next year even if its hard to accept for now. Its not over until the points say different this season but the D&G is crazy.

Posts like "Westlake no better than Maher" etc Cocos usual one lines, Lukers negativity so it goes on. Not going again...blah de Blah....No wonder we have a reputation for being crap fans because we are. The away following generally great but at home ....well we arent Barcelona are we?

GET A GRIP

Joes remarks

He added: "I wouldn't say it's a reality check because all the surreal stuff has come from other people rather than from myself.

"The pre-match carnival and nostalgia is really not my style, I would much rather have that after we've won.

"To be honest I'm glad it's out of the way. I wouldn't have said it beforehand, but if you'd have offered me a draw before today I would've taken it.

"We had all the build-up and expectation which made things difficult, but these are things you have to do sometimes.

"We'll come in and have a warm-down tomorrow and then look ahead to two very important away games."

Edited by HallamBlue

I agree about all the nostalgia pre-match. The Stuart Pike commentary was great to hear but it turned it even more into the Joe Royle Show. Time and a place and I don't think that was the time, we had business to attend to.

The players went for it from the off and I feel burnt themselves out early on trying too hard.

I hope getting saturday out of the will focus our minds on the team rather than on Joe.

you are wrong as our players have been consistent recently. consistently bad!

tranmere lost to the bottle of the table midweek. we didn't look like scoring yesterday. hughes hit the bar but it was totally out of the blue. the rest were snap shots way wide of the target. their keeper made one good reaction save.

first time i have ever left early

The players went for it from the off and I feel burnt themselves out early on trying too hard.

I think this is a fair point. They started with great tempo and had Hughes been a little luckier with the size of the net, or Taylor not had his legs removed as he was about to shoot (no card, but denying a shot on goal - odd decision) and the resulting free kick not being a shocker the state of the game could have been different.

I did see more of a plan at corners - but not the necessary delivery (bring back Maher?) and I also saw more than one player wanting to receive a throw-in most of the time. On their own, they mean little, but if other areas of the game can overlay these changes too, there is hope.

Yes, the heads dropped once we went behind. Despite Westlake currently leading the MotM poll, he looked invisible to me - not singling him out, but making mass changes is less likely to work than improving the attitude and tactics of what we've got. Yes, Joe doesn't have long to turn it round and it's probably too big an ask.

But Shez was never going to do it.

Edited by opinions4u

I really can't believe the reaction of some people on this board. Did they really think we would walk it 6.0? We lost to a better team on the day. Tranmere played well and looked a good side. It now looks like it will be another season of "what might have been" and the form since Christmas indicates a mid-table finish. Too many people where too over nostalgic.

MEN quote:

And Moore, who was sacked at the end of the 2005-06 season despite a fire-fighting job which had kept Latics up the previous season, could not contain his glee.

He suffered from living in the shadow which Royle's unprecedented success brought in the early 90s, and he says a dose of reality is now needed.

"Without doubt the nostalgia here makes a manager's job harder," said Moore, whose team opened a four-point gap over Oldham with a Charlie Barnbett strike and a penalty from his son Ian.

"Joe did a magnificent job. Taking this club where he took them was fantastic, but times have changed and it's a pity the supporters haven't changed with them."

John Sheridan was the latest victim of exulted expectation, and Moore was quick to point that out: "Shez going was a surprise, wasn't it? He's another one.

Hype

"Got them to the play-offs, finished eighth last year, never been out of the top six this season, and gets the sack. Maybe they don't want successful managers here. Something is not quite right."

Well this sums it up really.

MEN quote:

And Moore, who was sacked at the end of the 2005-06 season despite a fire-fighting job which had kept Latics up the previous season, could not contain his glee.

He suffered from living in the shadow which Royle's unprecedented success brought in the early 90s, and he says a dose of reality is now needed.

"Without doubt the nostalgia here makes a manager's job harder," said Moore, whose team opened a four-point gap over Oldham with a Charlie Barnbett strike and a penalty from his son Ian.

"Joe did a magnificent job. Taking this club where he took them was fantastic, but times have changed and it's a pity the supporters haven't changed with them."

John Sheridan was the latest victim of exulted expectation, and Moore was quick to point that out: "Shez going was a surprise, wasn't it? He's another one.

Hype

"Got them to the play-offs, finished eighth last year, never been out of the top six this season, and gets the sack. Maybe they don't want successful managers here. Something is not quite right."

What were taking notice of Moore has to say ? He's rubbing it in lol Shez had to go we were :censored:e FACT

The supporters have changed with the times. Thousands drifted away after 1994, some came back during the false dawn Chris Moore gifted us, but are increasingly giving up the ghost, as this season's average attendance shows us. The remaining diehards, at least if this board is anything to go by, are increasingly coming to see where we are now as 'being our level' (while ignoring that accpting a clubs supposed natural level inevitably invites further decline).

That seems like acknowledgement of changed times to me, Ronald.

MEN quote:

Hype

You can't really argue with it can you? I wasn't too aware of Moore being hounded out at the time as I had nothing to do with messageboards and very few of my mates are Latics fans (none actually :( - that is what has led me to being such a regular on here) so for me it was just a case of turn up and watch the game. The results (it's a 'results business' isn't it?) were better than usual and the football wasn't as bad as some now profess. Therefore I was surprised and a touch disapointed when he was sacked and only appeased when his successor was announced.......which is how I have felt this time.

I hope Joe takes the job full-time. Otherwise, after yesterdays loss, it's almost a waste of time having him here.....

You can't really argue with it can you? I wasn't too aware of Moore being hounded out at the time as I had nothing to do with messageboards and very few of my mates are Latics fans (none actually :( - that is what has led me to being such a regular on here) so for me it was just a case of turn up and watch the game. The results (it's a 'results business' isn't it?) were better than usual and the football wasn't as bad as some now profess. Therefore I was surprised and a touch disapointed when he was sacked and only appeased when his successor was announced.......which is how I have felt this time.

I hope Joe takes the job full-time. Otherwise, after yesterdays loss, it's almost a waste of time having him here.....

Of course you can argue with it. It assumes that no club's supporters should harbour ambitions to recreate the good times.

Ronnie typifies everything the third division is about, but he shouldn't be so down on those who remember something better and continue to foolishly strive for it. We might be in the gutter, but we can still look at the stars. The Ronnies of this world earn their good living from maintaining the gutter in all its squalor. So do most of the divisons players, including ours, unfortunately.

Of course you can argue with it. It assumes that no club's supporters should harbour ambitions to recreate the good times.

Ronnie typifies everything the third division is about, but he shouldn't be so down on those who remember something better and continue to foolishly strive for it. We might be in the gutter, but we can still look at the stars. The Ronnies of this world earn their good living from maintaining the gutter in all its squalor. So do most of the divisons players, including ours, unfortunately.

Sorry I only meant his sentiment that we're a bit quick to sack managers.

I have no problem with striving for success - indeed I insist on it as there would be no point in going if we didn't. I'm not a member of the 'I'll support Latics even if they end up playing on Clayton' club. I just believe that managerial stability is the way forward for clubs like us and Tranmere who can't buy a way out of the division. Many others clearly don't.

I agree about all the nostalgia pre-match. The Stuart Pike commentary was great to hear but it turned it even more into the Joe Royle Show. Time and a place and I don't think that was the time, we had business to attend to.

I hope getting saturday out of the will focus our minds on the team rather than on Joe.

Was it? glad you enjoyed it. I was in the RRE as usual and guess what....the feckin drum was banging whilst the players came out....AGAIN.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a drum fan, it creates atmosphere.....but come on mate, use a bit of sense, sometimes you arent needed.

MEN quote:

Hype

Mick Wadsworth got us to 9th place, was he a successful manager? :huh:

With the funds Moore and Sheridan had available to them and the quality of some of the players, we fell short. For me that isn't the mark of a successful manager.

Moores comments about Sheridan, other factors probably led to his sacking not just poor results on the pitch. Surprise to people who aren't Oldham fans yes. Surprise to us lot? Not really.

Sheridans teams have tailed off when the pressure is on, the only time we have finished a season strongly- last season. We were in the comfort zone with no chance of either promotion or relegation. Players to blame yes, but the buck stops with the manager as they say.

I do agree we are a little hasty in getting rid of managers, but i'd rather have a pro active board having the balls to change things around, rather than sitting around doing fuk all and letting the team and fans go through the motions.

Edited by Butter

I do agree we are a little hasty in getting rid of managers, but i'd rather have a pro active board having the balls to change things around, rather than sitting around doing fuk all and letting the team and fans go through the motions.

If this chopping and changing had lead to success then I would agree with you... Last time I checked we are still playign league one football...

The sacking of both Ronnie and John was wrong... The fans and the board need to grow some balls sometimes...which dosent mean sacking! means standing by your man!

Edited by oafc0000

Both Sheridan and Royle have now complained about the pre match stuff in the past few weeks.

I only get in around ten minutes before kick off. What goes on before? I know the circus starts at 3pm but what happens before?

Nothing that could or should be used as an excuse for the poor performances we have been witnessing.