• Medium size Joe's....
    • Big Mac meal .......
    • Diego_Sideburn's .....
    • or simply .... blue, blue barmy army

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years it was never BFJ - I was there. Nothing to do with being PC - just read for a fact that he doesn't like it. Showing respect is not being PC.

Anything else you need explaining?

Everyone else seems to remember BFJ barmy army and I remember it...oh and I was there too by the way! As for your comments being to PC. They are because nobody else seems to be bothered and BFJ barmy army is alittle light hearted banter and by no way a dig at joe.

Anything else you need explaining pal let me know!

Bollox. seems you're the only one who thinks that. Perhaps your memory is clouded by being tiddley after some shandies and wine gums in your teenage years.

Defo sang Big Fat Joe's Blue and White Army back in the day

BFJ was the song I most remember the 1994 FA Cup Run and the later Premier League days for.

When the RRE was singing it for the five minutes or so prior to Tranmere's first goal on Saturday, that was the best atmosphere I have known inside Boundary Park for a very long time.

It's definitely Joe Royal's Blue and White Army.

How do you know he doesn't like it? Its done in an affectionate way, its obvious he's not fat.

This is the problem: some people feel that the people who chant, "Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army" are simply Johnny Come Latelys, or upstarts, because they chant that now thinking that people used to chant it back in the day. Back in the day, people chanted, "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army" for about half an hour of every match.

Here's another reason why not to sing "Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army." Supposing someone I do not know especially well is on the large side, if you will. Do I go up to him or her and say, "All right fatso" in an affectionate sense, or do I just say "Hello"? Why can't we just have "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army" just in case he doesn't like "Big Fat Joe"?

I should not have had to write that second paragraph, but some people just can't get to the right answer by themselves.

This is the problem: some people feel that the people who chant, "Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army" are simply Johnny Come Latelys, or upstarts, because they chant that now thinking that people used to chant it back in the day. Back in the day, people chanted, "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army" for about half an hour of every match.

Here's another reason why not to sing "Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army." Supposing someone I do not know especially well is on the large side, if you will. Do I go up to him or her and say, "All right fatso" in an affectionate sense, or do I just say "Hello"? Why can't we just have "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army" just in case he doesn't like "Big Fat Joe"?

I should not have had to write that second paragraph, but some people just can't get to the right answer by themselves.

More dribble...

I was certainly there all the way through those great days... It was sung.. So was blue white army..

I will ask you something.. If it was never sung where the hell did it come from then ?

More dribble...

I was certainly there all the way through those great days... It was sung.. So was blue white army..

I will ask you something.. If it was never sung where the hell did it come from then ?

Listen young 'un: I don't know where it came from, and I do not care. Probably it came from one of those people that always sings the wrong words to a song they don't know and then it just caught on with other like-minded idiots, in the usual banal fashion.

Why don't you write to the man himself and ask him whether he prefers "Big fat Joe's Barmy Army" or "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army"?

And how do we know Joe doesn't like it if it was never sung?

Big Fat Joe's barmy Army (usually started by one bloke in a stand shouting "Big Fat's Joe's!!!" over and over until people join in just with the "Barmy Army!!!".....repeat ad infinitum)

AND

Joe Royle's Blue and white army!

Both right.

PS, is Joe's skin really so thin he can't take a chant expressing banter and a fondness for him?

And how do we know Joe doesn't like it if it was never sung?

Big Fat Joe's barmy Army (usually started by one bloke in a stand shouting "Big Fat's Joe's!!!" over and over until people join in just with the "Barmy Army!!!".....repeat ad infinitum)

AND

Joe Royle's Blue and white army!

Both right.

PS, is Joe's skin really so thin he can't take a chant expressing banter and a fondness for him?

Yeah, both chants were sung by Latics fans.

At Ipswich the fans sang "Big fat Joe's" in respect of both "barmy army" and "blue and white army".

On the Ipswich link there is a reference at the end of the fifth paragraph to Joe not liking the "Big fat" bit.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s78/st97388.htm

For years it was never BFJ - I was there. Nothing to do with being PC - just read for a fact that he doesn't like it. Showing respect is not being PC.

Anything else you need explaining?

Utter twaddle! After the Southampton game the chant going around BP was Big Fat Joes Barmy Army! Your talking absolutely rubbish kidda!

Listen young 'un: I don't know where it came from, and I do not care. Probably it came from one of those people that always sings the wrong words to a song they don't know and then it just caught on with other like-minded idiots, in the usual banal fashion.

Why don't you write to the man himself and ask him whether he prefers "Big fat Joe's Barmy Army" or "Joe Royle's Blue and White Army"?

Youn'un ?? Your only a couple years older than me.... (although your memory seems to be that of a much older person)

Your full of it... It was defo sung as confirmed by many people on this thread...

Edited by oafc0000

I can remember it being sung and I was only young when Royle was in charge last time.

Even if it wasnt get a bloody grip things change if the fans today want to sing "BFJ Barmy Army" then tough s**t!!

I remember both being sang - and as someone said Big Fat Joe's coming in the Prem years (and I remember Joe not liking it) BUT at Wembley in 1994 we chanted "Blue! Blue! - Barmy Army" and that was special...

Been very busy at work at all day and see a thread already at 3 pages about no more Big Fat Joe, I feared the worst.

That he had seen all he could take and walked aready!!!! (and that was jsut the messages ont his messageboard no wonder he doesnl;t like them!_

Thank god it was just about whether Joe is a bit tubby or not.

Maybe that could be the compromise.

Tubby Joes Blue and White armyy.....

rubbish! It all depends in the context of how it is said.

as i remember, it was always joe royles blue and white army and then in the last few years bfj barmy army was sang also.

to be honest does it :censored: matter.

dont we have other things to worry about, im sure joe does.

and until he says dont sing it in an interview, then sing what you want ....within reason :grin:

and just coming to mind was a funny song (and i say this with respect for the man, world cup legend en all ) when we played exeter in the cup and for god knows how long but we sang alan ball has got no bollox clap, clap clap, clap over and over. felt like the whole game

im sure it never bothered him...thats football.