Clarke Pen

Ackey

As a lad I played as a forward... I also scored a shed load of Pen's... but... if I ever took a stance like this to take one I'd have been screamed at for hours by the coach!!

His standing leg is out of shape and his bum is squatting, his chest is back, looking up, and his head is not straight over the ball!!

Jesus these guys get paid to do this, and goal or not, no wonder the 'keeper nearly saved it!

Have you seen the penalty? The LW commentary said he'd put it the top corner and that the keeper had got his fingers to it. It only went in the top corner(ish) because the keeper pushed it there. Looked a bit like he toe-poked it to me. He was very lucky to score. I'm not complaining, mind; it went in and, as long as Lidds is on the pitch, Clarke won't take another.

Guest sheridans_world

Clarke shouldnt have been on the pitch to take it, worst display of anyone i think he may have knew it, thats why he insisted on taking the penalty, oh the irony...

3 games 3 goals. If he hadn't been on the pitch we would have been 2 points worse off too. He's leaving soon isn't he, lets give the guy a break and be thankful we at least got a couple of goals out of him.......

Guest sheridans_world
3 games 3 goals. If he hadn't been on the pitch we would have been 2 points worse off too. He's leaving soon isn't he, lets give the guy a break and be thankful we at least got a couple of goals out of him.......

Sorry mate but i had alot of time for this bloke when he first came in against Carlisle. He was rubbish yesterday, Chris Taylor was behind him for the first goal so he could have slotted it in and Wellens or Gregan could have taken the penalty.

Leon Clarke was more of a hinderance than a help yesterday. He was trying to be too clever throughout, attempting to play champions league football, Warney had a right go at him and deservedly so, cant wait to get rid of him. He is a very lazy player.

Clarke shouldnt have been on the pitch to take it, worst display of anyone i think he may have knew it, thats why he insisted on taking the penalty, oh the irony...

I didn't go to the game so I can't really comment on clarke's performance. To state that clarke, however, had the worse display of anyone when he scored to goals, is a slight exaggeration I think. What about the defence? I haven't seen the goals but I can bet my bottom dollar that they messed up on one of the goals again. What happened to the rock solid defence that served us so well for the majority of the season.

Bring back Porter I say. don't care if he pisses of in the summer anymore I just want someone in there who can bang away the goals.

Guest sheridans_world

This has quickly turned into a slag Leon Clarke off thread for me.

I am always willing to give players chances. I was singing his praises last week because i thought that he had finally caught the promotion bug, he looked like he wanted to play in blue and he made several chances and had a goal disallowed. He was sprinting to pressure the keeper then sprinting back onside.

There was none of this yesterday. Reading around on other forums people are in two opinions, A. he's useless. B. He has done well.

I havent yet read a post that says he is the best since sliced bread and i dont think anyone thinks that.

I cannot understand that if you was at the game yesterday how he cannot win the crown of the worst player on the pitch. Please explain 'if you were there' are the operative words.

Two goals, granted, the first messy with Taylor stood waiting right behind him and the second a sloppy penalty. I'll give you this then, he played well for an 8 minute stretch at the very end of the game. The rest of it he would have been at home in the Turks Head sunday league team (No disrespect to the Turks Head). He was trying to be too clever, he was caught offside so many times and he generally didnt look interested.

Drop him for Yeovil, send him back to Wednesday, another inspired Brain Laws signing, can accompany JJ. Play Glombard, he came on and gave at least 80% more than Clarke had given for 82minutes of the game.

Edited by sheridans_world

It wasn't a great penalty. For a split second thought the keeper had saved it. Thought Clarke did OK at Carlisle and was unlucky not to score against Orient but yesterday he had a bad game. He needs to play it simple more often and learn to stay onside. Too many times he tried to be clever and gave the ball away. And that came after a glorious chance 1 on 1 which he messed up - at that time Brentford looked nervy at the back and if he scored i'm convinced we would have gone on to 3 points.

I agree that the defence is worrying - we're conceding too many from simple set pieces and even the cross-shots (Orient and Brentford) are going in at the moment!!

i agree mate, hes not been bad at all

I don't think he's been the best player in the team, but he's come in and done a job... we needed someone to take the pressure of Porter and 3 in 3 has done that for him... he'll go back and I think we'll see Porter suddenly regain his fittness and hopefully back another 10 goals before the end of the year (all in) and do himself and us proud.

Clarke has some weaknesses (aside from that awful stance on the Pen'), he does get himself offside a lot, he doesn't seem fully fit, he lacks that edge - but you can see why Wednesday have sent him here... he can score goals and just needs to get himself sharp.

On the up side, if he's worth £300k then Porter's worth £1m easy!

I'm not saying Clarke didn't have a bad game but what about the rest of the team! I guess what I am trying to say is that the WHOLE team should take collective responsibility for what all is, in fairness, a worringly poor result at this stage of the season. :(

Warne and Taylor were outstanding. Should we not give the whole team credit for that??

No, but I got told as a kid that there is no I in TEAM

There is in WIN! If you win us the game, you get your praise, if you lose us the game, we all lose the game!

Guest sheridans_world

Yes my last response was flippant on the cause of the whole team playing badly.

As for Porter upwards of a million, he wont pass a medical at club with that sort of money. Sad to say it... He trains once a week at best. I would gladly take the money we spent on him. If we can get more, even better but Porter cant make it through a season.

No i wasn't at the game, so i cant comment on his performance throughout the game, i'll trust your judgement on that. What i will say is if he is playing crap yet bagging two goals, just think what he would be like if he had a bit of confidence about him and was on top of his game? Anyway, as Sheridans World says, he's going anyway. Lets give the new blood a go.

Who needs Thierry Henry when we got Louise Lombard!!!!!!!!!!! Didnt she used to be on the telly, how we managed to sign her then.......

Servo Fides!!!!

Who needs Thierry Henry when we got Louise Lombard!!!!!!!!!!! Didnt she used to be on the telly, how we managed to sign her then.......

Servo Fides!!!!

She was in The House of Elliott years ago and is now back in CSI.

Anyway, Clarke is a strange one. He has touches of brilliance but most of the time he drives you crazy. Quick when he wants to be and plays the channels well with some great lay-offs. But then, he seems clueless in front of goal (spurned several good chances yesterday) and is slower than Duane Leverock when trying to get back from an off-side position.

He only has a maximum of one more game playing for us and so I was surprised when Shez left him on and instead brought off Lidds shoving Warney on to the wing. A tactical master stroke though as the Great One clearly knew that Liddell would have finally missed a penalty for Latics and so Leon the Lion was able to step up and spare all our blushes!

Guest sheridans_world
so I was surprised when Shez left him on and instead brought off Lidds shoving Warney on to the wing. A tactical master stroke though as the Great One clearly knew that Liddell would have finally missed a penalty for Latics and so Leon the Lion was able to step up and spare all our blushes!

I assume that Liddell needs the rest, he has played consecutiveley (sp?) for most of the season and he aint getting any younger

I think taking Lidds off made sense, we were lacking in construction in the Middle and whilst he can always pick out a ball he doesn't offer much else - Warney got at them and won two corners in two minutes which put us onto the front foot!

In the right team I think Lidds could come inside at his age, play a holding role with his passing he could be deadly, but he'd need the right kind of support from the middle, and with Rich it wouldn't really work.

I didn't go to the game so I can't really comment on clarke's performance. To state that clarke, however, had the worse display of anyone when he scored to goals, is a slight exaggeration I think. What about the defence? I haven't seen the goals but I can bet my bottom dollar that they messed up on one of the goals again. What happened to the rock solid defence that served us so well for the majority of the season.

Bring back Porter I say. don't care if he pisses of in the summer anymore I just want someone in there who can bang away the goals.

To state that Clarke had the worst game on the pitch, is the truth though.

No bones about it, he was gash beyond belief. Couldnt even do the basics right, and as for scoring two. One was a penalty, which he nearly missed. The other even my mum could have scored.

As for the defence. Pretty solid, especially Gregan. The lad from Plymouth was the weak link if anything at the back.

We badly miss Porter.

Gonna jump on the Clarke-haters bandaggon i'm afraid...

There were 2 points in the second half that summed him up... 1st, he tries a stupitd flick to warney, which went nowhere near him, then he jumped up and down shouting at warney, second, he tried a dummy which went straight to the defence - this is not the bloody champions league... do the basics and we will get behind you, do sod all except try a couple of flicks and we will hammer you... this boy has potential, but he will not be playing for us if he ever shows it... get rid... as SW says above, anyone on the pitch could have done what he contributed yesterday.... which was jack all, excpet a tap in and a bad penalty...

On a brighter note... I thought Glombard looked lively when he came on... and the left back played well in my opinion for his first game.... But we sooooo miss porter... only when you see lump such as clarke do you realise how hard he works.... please please can we see a miracle in medical science and finally find a cure for "Porters Knee"

Bring on Yeovil....

anyone on the pitch could have done what he contributed yesterday.... which was jack all, excpet a tap in and a bad penalty...

So why didn't they then? They all had 96 minutes to do similar things. Only he did.

He wouldn't have started Luigi G off one training session (although he did sign Dabo from that) and Clarke seemed to be getting better last week despite his offsides.

Who else have we got then? The way people are going at Clarke even though he's scoring I'm glad it's him in the team and not Smalley, Alessandra or Higginbotham. Can you imagine if they didn't score, they'd be hammered. That's do wonders for their confidence.

Porter's knee will never be cured. He seems to be one of those that has to be 100% or it's a no. All in the mind it seems. Understandable though considering the problems he has had in the past with it.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Guest sheridans_world
So why didn't they then? They all had 96 minutes to do similar things. Only he did.

I believe BFL was referring to anyone else playing upfront for 96 mins, anyone would have done a better job than Clarke.

Who else have we got then? The way people are going at Clarke even though he's scoring I'm glad it's him in the team and not Smalley, Alessandra or Higginbotham. Can you imagine if they didn't score, they'd be hammered. That's do wonders for their confidence.

This is true but people will give them the chance, one very simple reason, they have come through the reserve team and have to develop. Chris Hall has made 38 apperances and scored 4 goals. People have only started to write him off since December. Chris Hall made his debut for Oldham in October 2002/2003 against Peterborough. Thats means he has had 4 and a half years from making his debut to present day to force himself into the team. He hasnt done that.

So give or take people gave him 4 years to prove himself.

Smalley has already shown more promise than Chris Hall has, if we hadnt have been in the position that we are and we were in Mid-table i would have no doubts that Shez would be playing him now. As it goes we are in a reasonable place, sadly denying younger players the chance. The same applys to Alessandra and Higginbotham.

As for the 'Who else we got?' Eddie could have come on for Taylor, pushing Liddell into the middle. Glombard directly replaces Clarke leaving Warne, Glombard and Liddell up front.

Oh and dont forget, Wolfenden is on his way back. He may only be able to play ten minutes at the end of a game for the moment, but when he has played he has shown intelligence and got into some very good positions. Dont count Wolfy out, he played well against a higher division outfit called Wolves.

As for Porters Knee, scientists all over the universe are currently looking for a cure, none has been found yet.

As for the 'Who else we got?' Eddie could have come on for Taylor, pushing Liddell into the middle. Glombard directly replaces Clarke leaving Warne, Glombard and Liddell up front.

At what stage of the game would this have been done?

We got a point. It's all we ever come away from Griffin Park with, maximum. Besides the cup tie in 98 but then the actual game itself ended in a draw too.

Chris Hall made his debut for Oldham in October 2002/2003 against Peterborough. Thats means he has had 4 and a half years from making his debut to present day to force himself into the team. He hasnt done that.

That might be because he was 16 at the time and barely out of school. He didn't sign a pro deal until October 2005. There were rumours he'd been watched by United and City too. If this is true or not I don't know but I'm sure someone will say. So he did have some promise.

So give or take people gave him 4 years to prove himself.

Does that apply to all the youngsters we've had because Allott and Tipton barely got four games let alone four years.

Eddie could have come on for Taylor,

We'll just have to say we all have our opinions. :)

That's what it's about though!

Guest sheridans_world

Worded that wrong, didnt want Taylor to go off, wanted him to go to right wing.

Seems like i wanted 12 players :ph34r: