The (Now not so) Big Flag

Guest sheridans_world

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good chance that the Crest part of the flag will be making its reappearance tomorrow.

The two main pieces (The Crest and the "Keep The Faith" parts) are in the back of my car and I will be meeting OminousPoultry at BP tomorrow so that we can have a look at it. It does need washing (which we will get done) however it is now repaired and should be ok for its first airing tomorrow!

Fingers crossed that all goes well and we can see it riding across The Chaddy once again!!!

:ktf:

well done to all concerned!

hope you are not out of pocket for your efforts....

think i whip round is due!

There have been quite a few people involved in this and a lot of the credit should go to OminousPoultry for organising this and providing the funding for having it repaired and cut down. We have discussed reimbursing out of pocket costs however it is to his great credit that he doesn't want anything in return. I am sure though that he will have the broadest and proudest smile of all come 3pm tomorrow!

The plan for the future is to sell off the remaining pieces so that fans can have their own smaller flags made from a piece of Latics' history. Any money raised will be given to a local Oldham Charity.

I am sure that once this weekend is through, the full story will be told about how all this came about.

Just like the guys who run and moderate this fantastic messageboard, it is all about Latics fans getting together and expending time, money and effort for the team that they love.

There is a good chance that the Crest part of the flag will be making its reappearance tomorrow.

The two main pieces (The Crest and the "Keep The Faith" parts) are in the back of my car and I will be meeting OminousPoultry at BP tomorrow so that we can have a look at it. It does need washing (which we will get done) however it is now repaired and should be ok for its first airing tomorrow!

Fingers crossed that all goes well and we can see it riding across The Chaddy once again!!!

:ktf:

When washed, will it need to be treated again to make it fireproof, for safety reasons?

The plan for the future is to sell off the remaining pieces so that fans can have their own smaller flags made from a piece of Latics' history. Any money raised will be given to a local Oldham Charity.

Well done to all concerned. Your efforts are really appreciated. :applause1::imnotworthy: :thumb08:

oafc_ok would like one of the 6ft x 4ft pieces to make his own flag. He is still waiting for BT to sort out his internet connection, but I can pass on any advice about how he goes about getting one and paying for it.

Well done to all concerned. Your efforts are really appreciated. :applause1::imnotworthy: :thumb08:

oafc_ok would like one of the 6ft x 4ft pieces to make his own flag. He is still waiting for BT to sort out his internet connection, but I can pass on any advice about how he goes about getting one and paying for it.

I hope also that the idea of lots of smaller pieces being sold off hasn't been forgotten. I'll have the right arse if 10 people having 6x4 flags means 240+ people don't get the chance to get a square foot or smaller, to do whatever they like with as their own momento. I'd just like a little bit to make into some sort of memorial to put on the wall, I'm sure there are loads of other ideas, badges, mini flags, whatever.

Great work anyway guys, and well done all concerned for taking the initiative.

I hope also that the idea of lots of smaller pieces being sold off hasn't been forgotten. I'll have the right arse if 10 people having 6x4 flags means 240+ people don't get the chance to get a square foot or smaller, to do whatever they like with as their own momento. I'd just like a little bit to make into some sort of memorial to put on the wall, I'm sure there are loads of other ideas, badges, mini flags, whatever.

Great work anyway guys, and well done all concerned for taking the initiative.

keep the ideas coming - it may be that it's appropriate to do a few of the 6x4 ones and do some as smaller foot sq momentos. At the moment we don't know how many 6x4 pieces are going to be available, or how we are going to allocate them, or if it's for charity, which charity etc etc

keep the ideas coming - it may be that it's appropriate to do a few of the 6x4 ones and do some as smaller foot sq momentos. At the moment we don't know how many 6x4 pieces are going to be available, or how we are going to allocate them, or if it's for charity, which charity etc etc

Obviously it all has costs and I didn't want to sound negative about the work you guys are doing. I had it in mind that people might be happy to pay a quid or two for a bit of the original that had had no work at all done to it other than being chopped up, even a small off-cut would do fine for a badge for a scarf for example. It would be great for a few 6x4 flags to travel with us but what I meant to say was that I think these shouldn't be at the expense of spreading it far and wide for as many as possible to have a little bit of it. We'll have the remodelled crest flying high again after all, which is the main thing :latics:

Perhaps the starting point should be a 6" x 3` piece (scarf/banner?) hemmed and with a small embroidered endorsement? Might cost a couple of quid to get each piece done, but sell for £10 each in aid of Kershaws?

If there was more material available, people could pay more for a larger piece (3`x2`flag, 6x4` flag?)

I suppose it depends on how much spare there is?

Bear in mind as well that the club will lose out on scarf/flag sales to some degree with this, so maybe a donation via the trust would also be in order (once costs have been covered.)

The Club Badge part of the Flag looked great 'flying' across the Chaddy today as the players came out before today's match. For those players who've never seen it before, it must have really impressed them.

Well done once again to those lads who organised and paid for it. You must have been very proud today to see the fruit of your labours. The Channel 4 documentary camera team was in the Chaddy today, so hope they managed to catch the rebirth of the Flag.

Patched up a burn in the smaller flag this pm, and took some photos....

It measures 11ft by 60ft - I reckon we could get 'Oldham Athletic' or a crest on top of the KTF bit......

KTF

KTF again

It packs into a manageable bag

packed away

Is it going to Bratfud?

Edited by OminousPoultry

Just a quick post to say on behalf of all OWTB members, a big thank you to OminousPoultry, Inspiral Carpet, Peanuts, AA Flags and of course everybody at Oldham Athletic Football Club for all the hard work to make this dream a reality.

You kept the faith, and we thank you for it.

The Club Badge part of the Flag looked great 'flying' across the Chaddy today as the players came out before today's match. For those players who've never seen it before, it must have really impressed them.

Well done once again to those lads who organised and paid for it. You must have been very proud today to see the fruit of your labours. The Channel 4 documentary camera team was in the Chaddy today, so hope they managed to catch the rebirth of the Flag.

Has anyone got any piccies of the flag from Saturday?

Guest sheridans_world
Was I wrong to think that the flag(s) was being taken to Bradford? I didn't see it. Do you have to get permission in advance to take it into away grounds?

Chelski had theirs last night...

Was looking to take it to Bradford ..... but still to bloody heavy, nearly killed me and Joe getting it out/away

Anyone who may be available 15 mins before home games and sit in the Chaddy who are willing to help get out / put away the flag please PM me. Thanks

Was looking to take it to Bradford ..... but still to bloody heavy, nearly killed me and Joe getting it out/away

I'll vouch for that Mark. It was a struggle for 3 of us to carry it into the ground from my car and after we'd had a look at it, Ominous Poultry and myself had to carry it to the top of The Chaddy where I was demanding oxygen.

Can't see it getting to too many away matches because of the transport issues and then getting it into the ground. Let's see what happens though as it was fantastic to have it back - if only briefly.