MP Claims and Expenses

Macca

To be fair, I'd say me voting UKIP would be a complete protest vote.

I don't want to be any closer to Europe deciding everything (or passing further legislation to that extent without promised referendum). I want the main parties to know this, so can only really do it in one way.

Whilst I don't despute Europe's weaknesses, without embracing Europe the UK economy (already rotten) has nothing going for it. We can't compete with the East for production and we can't compete with the US for size so we have to embrace the EU.

Simples. :wink:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I don't despute Europe's weaknesses, without embracing Europe the UK economy (already rotten) has nothing going for it. We can't compete with the East for production and we can't compete with the US for size so we have to embrace the EU.

Simples. :wink:

Do we?

Not a raging expert on this, but I've always liked the look of Norways single market agreements whilst remaining external to the EU.

Not a raging expert on this, but I've always liked the look of Norways single market agreements whilst remaining external to the EU.

I would also like to add Switzerland to that list.

And if we'd had the conversation 12 months ago, Iceland.

But I prefer the first two examples to prove a point, so we'll leave Iceland out of it :wink: .

Edited by opinions4u

I would also like to add Switzerland to that list.

And if we'd had the conversation 12 months ago, Iceland.

But I prefer the first two examples to prove a point, so we'll leave Iceland out of it :wink: .

Even though there are free market agreements, there’s still a lot more paperwork involved when none-eu “trade preference” countries want to claim the benefits of the free market agreement. This has served to be a major barrier for smaller businesses who perhaps do not have the skill or resource to deal with such matters.

Norway and Switzerland can be held as good models but then they are cash rich with good education, not to mention relatively small populations. The same cannot necessarily be applied to the UK, Germany or France.

The fact they can enjoy such a nice lifestyle is also fundamentally to do with the existence of the EU and the security it provides. The main reason why the EU came about was to ensure that its member states never get invading by an force such as the Nazi’s or Soviet Union. The stability that resulted from gave Europe and the US the foundation on which to trade and improve our economies. If the EU was to disband, this security would disappear and the UK, with its diminishing forces, could be susceptible to attack.

The fact they can enjoy such a nice lifestyle is also fundamentally to do with the existence of the EU and the security it provides. The main reason why the EU came about was to ensure that its member states never get invading by an force such as the Nazi’s or Soviet Union.

And there was me thinking it was the Germans seeking world domination via a different method. :grin:

If the EU was to disband, this security would disappear and the UK, with its diminishing forces, could be susceptible to attack.
If you replaced EU with NATO in that sentence, I'd agree with it.

In The Times today there is a story abot the BNP selling a range of folk albums on its website, but many of the musicians featured claim they are powerless to stop their work financing the party.

Billy Bragg, drummers Dave Rowntree from Blur and Nick Mason from Pink Floyd have teamed up with the Musicians' Union and Featured Artists' Coalition, saying they object to the BNP's "politics and morals".