World Twenty20

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Twenty20 coming up so here's the thread.

Less than amazing performance from England against the Scots today, but it was a nothing game.

Very average, at least the egocentric South African bagged a half-century but with both bat and ball that was poor. I think we'll finish bottom of the group.

Very average, at least the egocentric South African bagged a half-century but with both bat and ball that was poor. I think we'll finish bottom of the group.

I wouldn't go that far. But I don't see us winning the thing either...

You think Holland will beat us?

If that's the sum of our challenge tonight they'll give us a game and Lancashire would probably destroy us! We're so tentative in the shortened formats and it's so frustrating when you see the Aussies, South Africans and even Bangladesh whacking it around the park.

England looked very ordinary today although it was good to see Eoin Morgan get a decent knock as he could be in the England set-up (especially at one-day level) for a good 10 years. KP did alright- good to see him get a knock coming back from injury and his first over showed he can turn his arm over for one over if we need something a bit different (I think his second was an over too far). But England do sometimes struggle to get up for nothing games and today's was the nothingest of nothing games (against a minnow, in 20/20, in a practice game).

As to Holland they had someone bowl in the IPL, did we (i know Freddy, Dimi and Napier played but they are all rounders)? I can see one of the big 8 not making it to the super 8s and Ireland, Holland and Scotland will give someone a good game minimum. We've got a sniff of doing something in this tournament, but we definately need to improve today's performance (even with some players being 'rested').

I can't figure out why anyone can get worked up about a game of kids cricket? It's just watchable rubbish. All it is is a bit of fun to entertain five year olds. Hopefully the fuss will die down to the level it deserves, and proper cricket can take over again soon.

I can certainly see one of the 'Big 8' not making it, as the groups dictate as such (what with one group being Aus/WI/SL and another Ind/Ban/Ire).

England do sometimes struggle to get up for nothing games

Waste of a word, some would argue?

Until an England batting line up goes out looking to score 10-20 runs from the first over they can forget this form of cricket. The sums just don't add up looking to play yourself into an innings, by the time they theoretically would be cutting loose they are way behind and the opposition are still going to be giving it the long handles at the same time. They have to play with enough risks that there is a chance that they will be down to No 11 or bowled out if the chances go against them, they may as well because they will win :censored: all otherwise against teams pushing it all the way.

Until an England batting line up goes out looking to score 10-20 runs from the first over they can forget this form of cricket.

Would agree, except ...

The only problem we have from these warm-up games is batting second chasing a soft target.

In those circumstances is it right to go off like a house on fire?

The test will really come when batting first ... then we should be looking to impose ourselves from the first delivery.

If that's the sum of our challenge tonight they'll (Holland) give us a game and Lancashire would probably destroy us! We're so tentative in the shortened formats and it's so frustrating when you see the Aussies, South Africans and even Bangladesh whacking it around the park.

Embarassing!