LOTW - 29-03-07 - Alan Groves, Latics Legend of the Week

Stevie_J

lotwgroveskl0.jpg

Welcome to the second Latics Legend of the Week

We're looking for you our members to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend!!!

Met him in a pub? Go to school with their Mrs? Go to school with them? Get hit by their car?
Anything and Everything!

If you have access to some season stat's or career stat's then post them too, pictures, videos, songs!?
Post them all!!

So, Get Posting!!

A couple of very simple rules
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it will become apparent why over time.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB can not be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

There was some discussion of Grovesy a couple of weeks back and many, including myself, will never have seen him play. I'm sure one of my uncles once told me that there was a game in which Grovesy beat a defender and then sat on the ball until he recovered and came back to try and win the ball. Anyone remember that?

Guest oa_exile

I do have memories of Grovesy , i can remember him being signed half way through our promotion season of 1973-74 and my Dad telling me what a good player he was.That was soon to be proved right.

As a youngster of 11 i can remember the excitement of watching his runs on the left wing , pacey , taking the full back on getting the crosses in for Andy Lockhead and George Jones.

The guy was a genious with the ball in the days of the flamboyant players.

Infact i met him once outside the main entrance at BP with my Dad and i still have his autograph !

You know what its like to meet a hero in real life , well that is one of them moments.

Happy Days , RIP Alan a true Latics Legend !

I'm sure one of my uncles once told me that there was a game in which Grovesy beat a defender and then sat on the ball until he recovered and came back to try and win the ball. Anyone remember that?

A couple of older old timers have told me that too Mr J.

I was in the NSM (then Ford Paddock) with my Dad on Grovesy's debut against Aldershot. Latics won 2 -0 (I think) Grovesey scoring one.

At first it was a sort of stunned into silence reaction to his skills , then wow what a player this lad is .

Best present day equivalent I can think of would be if this season we had not seen Chris Taylor play, and then signed him after, say, the forest game, but with Chris Taylor having two more years savvy and experience to enhance his undoubted talent.

Mazy runs, skill on the ball sharks teeth necklace and fun type character...Grovesy had the lot and is indeed a Latics legend. In my 40+ years of watching Latics the Grovesy years rank up there with the most exciting times.

Sadly missed and enjoy the hereafter on the left wing of the great footy pitch in the sky

There was some discussion of Grovesy a couple of weeks back and many, including myself, will never have seen him play. I'm sure one of my uncles once told me that there was a game in which Grovesy beat a defender and then sat on the ball until he recovered and came back to try and win the ball. Anyone remember that?

Stevie,

Your uncles told you correctly - Grovesy did indeed do the - beat the defender, stop, sit on the ball while the defender got up off the floor and got back, then beat him again. I can`t remember who it was against but it definately happened just like that. If anyone deserved God-like status it was grovesy.

He used to go in Baileys nite club on a Sunday night, but only drink cokes. Always dead smart, wide lapel jackets, Kipper tie shiney shoes. He always seemed a bit lonely though - he must have been lonely if he spent a few nights with me in the said establishment. Always had a good eye for the women though, this was well before he got married. The guy was a really nice bloke and is sadly missed.

KTF

Stevie,

Your uncles told you correctly - Grovesy did indeed do the - beat the defender, stop, sit on the ball while the defender got up off the floor and got back, then beat him again. I can`t remember who it was against but it definately happened just like that. If anyone deserved God-like status it was grovesy.

He used to go in Baileys nite club on a Sunday night, but only drink cokes. Always dead smart, wide lapel jackets, Kipper tie shiney shoes. He always seemed a bit lonely though - he must have been lonely if he spent a few nights with me in the said establishment. Always had a good eye for the women though, this was well before he got married. The guy was a really nice bloke and is sadly missed.

KTF

Thanks, SL. Nice to know it wasn't just a myth.

I wish there was TV footage of it though, you could stick your Soccer AM showboaters up yer arse.

i knew grovesy from my cousin ,grovesy girlfriend debbie was a good friend of my cousin and when i went over to visit i met him and chappy at they house ,i also remember buying a latics tangerine scarf from laticque (grovesy shop) and i still have it today ,i also remember the sad day he died ,i was at the dentish and i heard on the radio that he died ,a sad day for us all latics fans .. rest in peace alan

When i mentioned Alan Groves to my dad he was quick to tell me how good he was with local kid.

Now i cant remember whether it was Stoneleigh or Copsterhill Park, but he used to train on there on his own, and if there were kids about he would join in.

My mum remembers him as a "Luvvly Fella!"

Its times like this i wish i was born 15/20 years earlier.

Can anyone please confirm Alan's date of birth and the date that he died?

A true legend indeed. What I remember is the flamboyant appearance, hairstyle and dress sense, but most of all the natural talent he had as a footballer. He taunted the opposition with his tricks and skill, but was strong and could score goals as well. Also what a lot of people forget is unlike today's players, he was usually performing on a muddy pitch, with a heavier ball and defenders who were allowed to kick lumps out of him.

Two words to sum him up.....NATURAL ENTERTAINER

He scored a 30 yarder in the last minute for a 1-0 win at Blackburn once - that alone qualifies him for legend status.

Jimmy Frizz hit the nail on the head when he died and was clearly devestated when he said "The game of football is ill-equipped to suffer the loss of Alan Groves." Never a truer word.

my first tru latics favourite absoloutly amazing player to watch re the sitting on the ball didnt he once do it whilst he tied his laces or maybe thats an embelishment absoloutly gutted when he passed away would have god like status now though i dont think we would be able to afford him think of ronaldo with out the diving x 10 and that is grovesy .