• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds to win the series:

Aussies 10/11 (Stan James)

England 15/8 (Bet Fred)

Draw 9/2 (William Hill)

The bookies clearly see the Aussies as favourites, and they have just beaten South Africa in South Africa.

That said, many of the Australians haven't played in English conditions before and I think that England match them man for man. Many experts think that our spinners, Swann and Panesar for the first test, may well be the difference between the two sides.

While I don't think the quality will be quite as good as 2005, I think it will be right up there as a sporting challenge with the likes of Ponting and Pieterson dominating the batting and Lee (injured for the first test) and Anderson (greatly improved over the last 18 months) the most exciting pace bowlers.

Listen out for some Ricky Ponting interviews. He must be the fastest talking man on the planet!

Edited by opinions4u

Almost upon us. Those in Manchester might like to note that they're showing the games in Spinningfields on the telly there. If the sun is out then it'll be a good spot I'd guess as they're serving beer!

Also, the BBC now as all the details of Lee missing the first Test.

Good shout. My mate mentioned this to me as well. Was in Spinningfields on Friday night and walked past the screen and that - the viewing area seemed pretty small though and won't fit many in.

A few of us are going to Spinningfields pre-Masters, despite my protests at drink prices compared to the Alpine in Sinclairs.

I think it will be a very close, with very little between the teams.

Australia have lost many of their star names Gilchrist, Langer, Hayden, Warne and McGrath.

Players of that quality are not easily replaced and losing Brett Lee for at least the first and possibly the second test is another big blow, also their lack of a decent spinner may prove a problem for them throughout the series.

England also have their problems, we need Flintoff and Pietersen to stay fit and both have had injury problems recently.

I'm sure it will be a very keenly fought series, but it is one that England can definately win.

I can't wait for this although I am still disgusted at the ECB for taking the money and having a test at Cardiff above Manchester.

I think it will be very close but with Lee out their bowling attack with the exception of Mitchell Johnson is pretty average, hopefully Pieterson will have a big series and Freddie stays fit.

I would have had Harminson in the squad above Onions, I know he has a heart the size of a pea but he does offer something different with the bounce he gets and if we don't go with 2 spinners I would definitely have played him.

I can't wait for this although I am still disgusted at the ECB for taking the money and having a test at Cardiff above Manchester.

I think it will be very close but with Lee out their bowling attack with the exception of Mitchell Johnson is pretty average, hopefully Pieterson will have a big series and Freddie stays fit.

I would have had Harminson in the squad above Onions, I know he has a heart the size of a pea but he does offer something different with the bounce he gets and if we don't go with 2 spinners I would definitely have played him.

I agree, would definately have gone with Harmison over Onions in the squad (although I think Onions will miss out anyway if we play 2 spinners).

Katich says in a piece in the Metro this morning the Aussies are quite pleased to see Harmison omitted, he roughed them up a bit with his short pitched stuff and they didn't really like it (especially Hughes) although I guess Freddie is also capable of doing that, if necessary.

Old Trafford isn't fit to host a Test match at the moment...saying that, I can't understand why Trent Bridge was overlooked. We won there in 2005, and it's a cracking cricket ground. Plus, Cardiff has never hosted a test, why do they get an Ashes one first? I bet Durham and Hampshire are fuming.

Old Trafford isn't fit to host a Test match at the moment...saying that, I can't understand why Trent Bridge was overlooked. We won there in 2005, and it's a cracking cricket ground. Plus, Cardiff has never hosted a test, why do they get an Ashes one first? I bet Durham and Hampshire are fuming.

Because the Welsh Assembly pumped in about 3 million towards Cardiff's bid meaning they could outbid everybody else.

Because the Welsh Assembly pumped in about 3 million towards Cardiff's bid meaning they could outbid everybody else.

So the English tax payer subsidises the Welsh Assembly, providing it with the funds to outbid the English counties to stage an England cricket home game!

Yay!

So the English tax payer subsidises the Welsh Assembly, providing it with the funds to outbid the English counties to stage an England cricket home game!

Yay!

The scandal is that Hampshire didn't get it, having been promised it by the ECB before Cardiff was out of the iron age (late last century).

I can see the Aussies completely stuffing us, and if we win, it will be way tight again. We'll have to be on it every ball if we're going to beat them.

I agree, would definately have gone with Harmison over Onions in the squad (although I think Onions will miss out anyway if we play 2 spinners).

More than likely to go to pieces when a nasty Convict reminds him that his mummy won't be there to tuck him in tonight.

Looking forward to it all starting tomorrow regardless of where it's being played. This series is going to be tight I feel, both sides not on top form so an excellent performance from one or two players could make all the difference.

Sure Harmison will be around should things not start so well. Hoping for a better start to this Ashes than I saw in the series down under, that was embarassing!

Am I the only one hoping the first test is a complete washout (followed by glorious sunshine for every other test)?

:ranting:

Why cos its in Cardiff? The forecast is quite decent, sunshine tomorrow, Thursday and Friday

Why cos its in Cardiff?

Yes. It's a disgrace how they got hold of that test and sent out a dangerous message. No matter what the condition of your stadium you can bribe the ECB into giving you an Ashes test. This is in direct contrast to the idea they like to put out that good grounds, be them new, will get a fair chance to hold an Ashes Test (see Hampshire and Durham).

So I hope it is rained out, at a terrific loss to all parties involved in this sham.

*Actually, I hope the Welsh revert to their old ways and burn it down.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Am I the only one who thinks that having an ashes test in Cardiff is a good idea. Yes, its a new ground and yes the tax subisdised Welsh assembly gave them them the cash for it but lets compare it with the three grounds which didn't get a test (OT, Hampshire and Durham). The capacities of all 4 are about the same, around the 15,000 mark but with Durham relying on temporary seats to make that number up. The transport links- Cardiff's ground is by the equivalent of Shudehill and is walkable from the main station, OT- the met's :censored: at the mo you have to walk/get a bus (which is slower) to St. Peter's Sq and get the met from there from Victoria or Piccadilly. Durham's ground is a good mile away from Chester-Le-Street station and there's very few trains that stop there (its a 20 min bus ride from Durham station). Hampshire (although I've never been), I've heard has a big problem with access as its out in the sticks. Hotels and the like- Cardiff has loads as has Manchester but Durham doesn't have that many (although Newcastle isn't that far away) and I've no idea about what its like round the Rose Bowl but I can't imagine it has that many. What missing out on the ashes has done is force OT to buck its ideas up and have a much better ground in a few years. I can't see OT being overlooked for the next ashes series but I can see Cardiff out competing Durham and Hampshire (especially if the attendances at the Durham test were anything to go by).

Oh and Trent Bridge can't complain it was used for the 20/20 which in combination with its two one-dayers will probably bring in more money than one ashes test.

But the main problem is that Cardiff was a :censored:hole. It wasn't upgraded, it did that on the back of the Ashes Test.

I have no problem with an upgraded Cardiff being given the test, on a level playing field. But when they bribe the ECB into giving it them with unfulfilled promises (at the time), then it is hardly fair.

The reasons against Hampshire would be the parking fiasco. Fair enough. Well not really, as it is hardly unsurmountable.

The reasons against Durham, I don't know. They stick on transport from the Park & Ride when big matches are on. There is plenty of travel from Durham to Chester. They have spent loads on doing up the stadium on the back of the aforementioned 'level playing field'. All that has happened is they have been :censored: on from a great height. They got the West Indies in Winter. Brilliant. That'll pack them in.

Am I the only one who thinks that having an ashes test in Cardiff is a good idea. Yes, its a new ground and yes the tax subisdised Welsh assembly gave them them the cash for it but lets compare it with the three grounds which didn't get a test (OT, Hampshire and Durham). The capacities of all 4 are about the same, around the 15,000 mark but with Durham relying on temporary seats to make that number up. The transport links- Cardiff's ground is by the equivalent of Shudehill and is walkable from the main station, OT- the met's :censored: at the mo you have to walk/get a bus (which is slower) to St. Peter's Sq and get the met from there from Victoria or Piccadilly. Durham's ground is a good mile away from Chester-Le-Street station and there's very few trains that stop there (its a 20 min bus ride from Durham station). Hampshire (although I've never been), I've heard has a big problem with access as its out in the sticks. Hotels and the like- Cardiff has loads as has Manchester but Durham doesn't have that many (although Newcastle isn't that far away) and I've no idea about what its like round the Rose Bowl but I can't imagine it has that many. What missing out on the ashes has done is force OT to buck its ideas up and have a much better ground in a few years. I can't see OT being overlooked for the next ashes series but I can see Cardiff out competing Durham and Hampshire (especially if the attendances at the Durham test were anything to go by).

Oh and Trent Bridge can't complain it was used for the 20/20 which in combination with its two one-dayers will probably bring in more money than one ashes test.

There are many arguments why OT should have a ashes test over Cardiff:

Lancashire has the largest membership of all the counties,

The biggest star of English cricket plays for the county,

Last time we had an ashes test at OT there was 10,000 people locked out on the last day,

It has a fantastic test match wicket which always provides something for the bowlers and batters if you play well,

The most important thing by a country mile is that England do well there, if it wasn't for the rain we would have beat them easily in 2005, I could never imagine the aussies not playing in Perth because the Wollogong tourist board had chucked some money at cricket Australia.

I still hope we give them a good beating wherever it's played but I do think its wrong that take that are the biggest attraction at Old Trafford this summer is take that

Edited by Horlicks

Old Trafford was way down the list as it was turning into a :censored:hole and there had to be something done about it. Fair enough. But to award it to a smaller :censored:hole, at the time, was a disgrace.

Where will the next Ashes tests be?

Lords

Oval

Headingly

Cardiff (as they will bribe them again)

are the certainties.

That leaves the Riverside, Rose Bowl, Edgebaston, Trent Bridge and Old Trafford fighting for one test. From a nigh on certainty, I'd say it is getting less than likely that a done up Old Trafford will get a test now.

OT has been deem unfit to host an ashes test by ECB.

i'm sure the local authorities had a word in ECB's shell like ear about it also-they provide the certificate for safety etc etc-maybe there were problems?

also ,what i do know is OT has its more than a fair share of arseholes who like to run on the pitch whilst play is in progress-plenty of noises from ECB when this became a regular occurrence..so maybe that has a factor in it?

don't get me wrong,i'm fecked off as much as most that OT has missed out,but theres more to it than we care to see.

ECB would have made far more by selling the extra seats etc at OT towards cardiff.."outbidding" hasn't come into it IMO.

it'll all come good in a few years when OT is sorted out and facilities are second to none.