Incident on Broadway

I definitely remember coming across a couple of questions asking about taking illegal substances on my mortgage & insurance application forms....naturally I answered 'no' :wink:

Truthfully, I hope ;) Most jobs I have taken they ask the, "units of alcohol," question. I have given up dividing by 4, then 8, then 72, and tend to just say that I don't... A friend of mine nearly didn't get a quite senior job at one of London's more, "old-school loony left PC," councils purely because he answered that question honestly. The nurse taking the questionaire couldn't quite handle the idea that he could function perfectly well having drank 10-12 bottles of beer a night, and assuring her that he was now in a stable place, having previously been a heavy drinker.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha ... 10 -12 bottles of beer per night !! I hope they were them little bottles of French Biere...

Actually, I suppose 10 330ml bottles of, erm, Becks or summat is probably equilavent to about 2 1.5l of Wine which most of my staff seem to confess to quashing each night....must be working for me what drives them to it..

Ha ha ... 10 -12 bottles of beer per night !! I hope they were them little bottles of French Biere...

Actually, I suppose 10 330ml bottles of, erm, Becks or summat is probably equilavent to about 2 1.5l of Wine which most of my staff seem to confess to quashing each night....must be working for me what drives them to it..

I rather think he meant full sized bottles of proper beer, and that was in contrast to his heavy drinking days... I think the nurse nearly shar herslef in horror. I will never forget a senior manager at my place who summarrised his day in terms of how many bottles of red he needed to get over, it saying in response to the 14p tax hike on wine to curb the deadly tendancy towards Middle Class Binge Drinking by saying that it would take more than 42p a day to make him change his ways.

Sorry, but this is bollocks. The situation you describe is exactly the present one - smackheads going along to the GP and being given sone gear. The vast majority of drug takers are never going to do that, they aren't addicts and would prefer not to to have it made out that they are on their medical records for the next time they apply for a mortgage or think about adopting a child, getting BUPA cover etc. The fact that those getting more than their prescription have to pay black market rates is because Prohibition creates the black market. The fact that 50% of UK crime is caused by people funding drug habits shows that the addicts will do anything to fund their usage anyway.

What is the rally harsh truth, is that everyone should have the right to go to Hell in their own way. A small proportion of drinkers, drug takers, adulterers, gamblers, racer boys, rugby players etc will ruin their lives through it. It's their choice, they should be allowed to make it. Others shouldn't beqr the costs of their choices any more than can be helped, either via criminalising their behaviour or through subsidising lifestyle choices via benefit money

I have an idea about that too...

Read my post again I quite clearly state that those people addicted to legal drugs aren't adverse to resorting to criminal activity so they can get hold of some of their legal drugs so although prohibition does fund a black market and that black market is funded with some criminal activity a legal market is funded with criminal activity. Yes people don't like going to GPs and asking for some smack (most GPs have trouble prescribing methadone- but they will know where to send you), but if you get admitted to hospital or register with a GP you should be asked do you use illegal drugs- a few people might lie and a few people might own up and the majority won't have to but if you lie and the insurance company finds out you could be up :censored: creek, its the same as if you lie about how much you drink. Its very very rare for someone to get alcoholic liver disease by drinking less than recommended weekly limit for a good decade. Its also very rare for those who go on a bender for a year or so to get alcoholic liver disease, you have to be a heavy drinker for a good number of years before you have a problem. If you say on any form (be it employment or insurance) something which is later proved to be untrue you can get into serious trouble- I'm talking fraud and prision here.

Legalising drugs no matter what the taxation benefits are and the sociological benefits will probably place an increased drain on the resources in the NHS to cancel out any beneficial effect. In all honesty I can't see the price of a lot of drugs coming down so those people financially challenged who are addicted will still be financially challenged and addcited but this time to a legal drug and that doesn't stop them stealing.

You are obviously for the legalisation of a lot of drugs (I'm not sure which) whereas I feel that the status quo is fairly average and that the government should be looking for ways to stop addiction fuelled crime. I do feel there would be benefit to legalising quite a few drugs but that the negatives are just as problematic so why bother spending money debating it.

The Queen Mother would certainly have been around back in the days when the Balmoral chemist shop regularly delivered enough coke, morphine, laudinum and god knows what else to have powered Ozzy Osbourne through the 1970's, and it never did her any harm, Gawd Bless 'er. And Diana, the People's Princess, managed to carry on being a complete gak-head without turning into a massively paranoid basketcase.

Well, scratch part two of that from my argument.