Player Of The Season

Now the dust has settled on yesterdays great result, i was just thinking how Shezza has managed to get out of Warney what Mr Moore could not accomplish.

Warney was immense again yesterday, just as he has been all season and wins my vote for Player Of The Season by a country mile.

Appreciate everyone sees things in different ways, but who would you give the nod for the award?

I'll give you a clue... it begins with "W"

and ends with "ARNEY"!!! (sorry just being a bit biased there)

Warney by a mile.

Everyone else has off games but he is Mr. Consistency. His commitment to the cause is never in doubt. He works tirelessly and believes that even a bad ball is worth chasing, in case he can retrieve it, or force an error from an opponent. He's also come up with the goals and his fair share of assists.

When he went in to sort out the Brentford fans and retrieve the ball last Sunday, it typified the man. Fantastic! It also helped us to salvage a point that could prove priceless.

My vote goes to Sir Paul of Warne.

Warne for me too. Gives everything in every game he plays and is a right royal pain in the 'arris to the opposing defenders. I think he is a major reason why Ports has come on leaps and bounds this season too, pulling defenders around and giving Ports space to do the biz.

Taylor is a good shout but still often lacks the killer pass/final ball to capitalise on his wing-play. He'll get better with age though and will be a force to be reckoned with in 2-3 years time.

I think I'd have to go for Warney too, he's been there all season and he's never given up fighting for the cause. The Brentford example is just typical of him. If Gregan had been here longer though it would be him by a country mile, he just oozes class!

Warney for the main player of the season. Taylor for everything else.

I'll be pretty baffled if it doesnt end up like that.

Warney deserves it. Never going to be a 20 a season striker, but you always know what to expect from him, week in, week out.

I'll cast my vote later, but :blink::curtains:

I also thought Warney was great last season for exactly the same reasons he has been this one. Obviously the system of play suited nobody except Guy AntiChrist-Branston, but Warney still worked his knackers off. Not wishing to re-open old fueds but his effort and commitment was sometimes overlooked because of the Rotherham connection. Good to see that Warney himself has since said how much more he enjoys it now under Shez, even though he knew as well as we did that he would have been the one to go if we'd been successful in getting a top notch forward in when we were trying to at various points.

I'm tempted to say whoever scores the winner in the playoff final at Wembley but otherwise I would agree that Warney has without doubt been our most consistant performer this season. I'm sure Porter will get plenty of votes as he is the first striker to get 20 goals in a season for us for ages; Taylor obviously for the way he has improved and the fact he is a local hero; and Gregan for the difference he has made since he came. But on balance my vote would be Warney.

I have to say I've been rather dissapointed with Richie Wellens this season. I think he is a class act and on his day the best midfielder in this division but he has not been at his best often enough this season for me.

I agree Warney has had a great season and been a model of consistency, but my vote a this stage for player of the season would have to be Richie Wellens.

I think he has been outstanding all season, he is by far our most creative player as can clearly be seen when he does not play.

He is also very consistent and very rarely turns in below par performances.

I shudder to think were we would be without his creativity this season, he really does run the show and makes the whole team tick.

A mention to for Will Haining, and Sean Gregan who has made a massive difference since he arrived.

:ktf:

Edited by Hometownclub

YAY! Someone else who agrees with me on the Richie Wellens topic. I think of him as the best midfielder in this league, if not one of the best outside the Premiership, and one of the few players who could actually cut it when we go up. :)

He, along with Sir Paul of Warne, tries his heart out. It is so clear when he isn't playing that something quite noticeable isn't present in the team, and without him we would not be anywhere near as high up the table as we have been this season.

Agreeing with Hometownclub as far as praise for Gregan and Haining, who is captain as he has deserved for so long.

Young player of the season is Taylor's, without question. Though Eardley isn't far behind. B)

Keep the Faith

Edited by seasidelatic

No doubting Wellens ability, but I think this year you could see he's carrying a knock, some games he's been a little bit in and out of. On his day undoubtedly one of the most leathal players in the league, can destroy a team, but to me there is no one who comes close to Warne for player of the year... his effort has been above and beyond... I know of only one player who runs as much, as fast and as hard as Warne, and thats Rooney at Manure, and to be compared to him, Red or not, is a compliment above any other... especially when you're 12 years older - impressive!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking nothing away from Warne as a player, his effort and consistency are undoubtable. I just prefer to see those killer 60-yard balls and one touch passes from Wellens more than anything else I see at BP. Except from Eyresy's free kicks, but they're just a distant memory now *sniff*

I've no doubt that Warne will win player of the season, and he'll deserve it, but I'll vote for Wellens. (Because I love the fact he left Blackpool to come to us, and I will be forever in his debt for letting me wear an Oldham shirt with "Wellens 7" on the back around the streets of Blackpool) :):):)

And the fact that I love him...... :grin:

Keep the Faith

I couldn't knock anyone for voting Warney as player of the season, great performances week in week out, and Nobody tries harder.

But these things are all about opinions though and I would still vote Richie as my player of the season in the main because of his overall influence on a game.

IMO he is the difference between 3 points and 1 or 0 points on a regular basis, for me if he's not in the team then my expectations for that game are greatly reduced.

:comeon:

Guest jet_dd34

WELLENS :dance:

Great vision, great touch, midfield general, I forgive the "blip" when he saw red and he's such a cutie pie :wub:

The Official OWTB poll will be posted after the last game of the season.

You will then have 7 days to vote for the

OWTB fans Player Of The Year.

:aplayer1:

An award will then be presented to the winning player at the clubs Awards dinner.

Your votes will count and we at OWTB promise no TEXT or PHONE cost scandals .. :grin:

You click for the Player to win.

I don't know how anyone can look any further than Warney. He plays is heart out and is a major influence in every game. There is no other player in the team with his consistency or who puts in as much effort. I agree with the earlier post saying that its a shame he's not a bit younger, but I think he can cut it in the championship, and still has a couple of good seasons left in him.

It just has to be!!

KtF

Edited by lincoln_latic

I don't know how anyone can look any further than Warney. He plays is heart out and is a major influence in every game. There is no other player in the team with his consistency or who puts in as much effort. I agree with the earlier post saying that its a shame he's not a bit younger, but I think he can cut it in the championship, and still has a couple of good seasons left in him.

It just has to be!!

KtF

i'll second that!!!

he opitimises everything we look for in a player..... most importantly the 'never say die' attitude he has!!!

Certainly is a bit of a more difficult choice than the last couple of seasons when one has definately stood out. I guess it will probably go to Warney for the sheer fact that he just never stops. Controversial bit, though it would've been interesting to see what would've happened if we had had a really really pacey striker. I do think Wellens is a class above, and Gregan made a huge difference no only to the defence but the entire team with his approach/leadership. Also, would be remiss of me not to mention Will, who has led the team superbly and got on with things without the plaudits both Gregan and Stam have had.

Not sure Wellens has been consistent enough to be player of the season. Same for Chris Taylor although he's a shoe in for young player and most improved player. Porter I don't think has played enough games, although if he scores another five or six before the end of the season then maybe. At the mo my player of the season would be

WARNEY

Top effort every game, 11 goals so far can't beat him.

Gregan second and then take your pick from Haining or Taylor for third place.

Guest jet_dd34
Your votes will count and we at OWTB promise no TEXT or PHONE cost scandals .. :grin:

Oooohhhh! I LOVE a good scandal! :grin::wink:^_^