A WORD WITH THE TRUST

A WORD WITH THE TRUST

As we embark on a season that sees Athletic with a new manager, as well as a reduced playing budget and a plan to relocate the club to Failsworth, OWTB caught up with Trust Chairman and Club Director, Barry Owen, to get his view on all things, both on and off-the-field. Much has changed at the club over the five years that Owen has been in post, beginning during the days of uncertainty over Athletic’s existence, through to the current balancing act of cutting costs whilst trying to progress the club to a level of financial self-sufficiency.

THE SEASON

I begun by quizzing Owen over his thoughts on the new season – the new backroom team; a whole host of new players; and a reduced budget for bringing those players in. He was enthusiastic with regard to Dave Penney’s appointment as manager stating that, during the selection process, it very quickly became clear that Penney was the man for the job: “His work ethic is second to none and he comes with an excellent work record. He is respected throughout the game.” Owen is also impressed with the new gaffer as a strong disciplinarian, “His has such energy for work and he does not suffer fools gladly. He is a fans’ manager.” Discipline had been an area of concern to many following the departure from the hotseat of former Latics player, John Sheridan. Many would have been surprised then to see Sean Gregan back at the club, since he is widely believed to have been the player most heavily reprimanded over the Doggygate incident last season, and especially after Penney had initially released the club captain.

Owen tells me that he believes the playing squad is for the new season is complete, with the exception of further defensive cover. He is keen to point out that the budget is strict, however, and that the club has no intention of overstretching on this front. He can’t help but go on to stress that, without the current owners, the budget would be very much reduced, which one would assume is quite an understatement given the very significant losses they soaked up during their tenure, “Thanks to them, our budget is far better than a lot of other clubs at this level and they are committed to success.”

It is always difficult to predict anything pre-season, especially when it comes to Athletic, but I posed the difficult question nevertheless. I was a little surprised that Owen did not employ an answer about consolidation rather than promotion, “I really am hopeful that when the side settles we are good enough for a top six place. It certainly will not be through a lack of trying.” You can sense that Owen is quietly excited by what Dave Penney’s Athletic might achieve, in spite of relatively low expectations from other quarters.

THE STADIUM

We discussed Athletic’s intention to move to the periphery of Oldham to a £20 million stadium in Failsworth. Owen was adamant that these plans are crucial to Athletic in terms of progress of the club for both its immediate and long-term future. He concedes that the location is not ideal and that he has mixed feelings about leaving Boundary Park, “it [the planned location] leads to many meaningful questions from fans but, overall, the pluses more than outweigh the minuses. I, like many others, don’t want to leave Boundary Park because I have enjoyed my football there for over forty years. But we have to move.” He cites that the new Metrolink will help in terms of accessibility to the ground for fans and he believes that the development will create more scope for investment and move Athletic closer to that all-important state of self-sufficient finances, “Football clubs need to have daily income streams. I do believe that Boundary Park is limited in that respect and that reality has to hit home for us all.”

Some fans claim that the planned capacity of 12,000 demonstrates a lack of ambition, or even a backwards step since pre-demolition of the Broadway Stand, Boundary Park could house 1,500 more than that. Owen retorts, “12,000 is sufficient and, I believe, is important in terms of obtaining planning consent. It will serve our current needs and will be large enough to cater for events such as concerts.” He accepts the importance of the new stadium being built with scope to extend in the future, should the club’s progress warrant that. For now though, “The size of the stadium has got to fit into a budget plan for the development.”

It is very early days for this venture and, perhaps not surprisingly, Owen, who has been candid in his answers up to this point, will not be drawn as to whether there is any aspect of the plan he would change, “I haven’t seen detailed plans yet, so I can’t comment, but I do know what is proposed and I am happy. I think it will be an excellent venue for our supporters and their families.” I get the distinct impression that Owen’s refusal to say anything negative is symptomatic of a staunch belief that the new stadium is critical to Athletic’s long-term future.

THE TRUST

Owen has now been Trust Chairman for five years and, during that time, has taken a certain about of criticism, some arguably constructive but much of it undoubtedly unfair. It is surprising, therefore, that this period has not blighted his passion for the club. Sure, I expected the ‘No, not at all’ response when I asked if that was the case, but the answer I got was more difficult to disbelieve. “My passion as a Latics supporter will never be dented. On the other hand, there are times when the sparkle is not quite the same, as I tend to worry about club matters.” This reinforces my impression of Owen as something of a worrier, striving to further the club. Clearly, a part of him, though, craves to be back out on the terraces, rather than agonising over boardroom matters, “I’m sure my wife is glad she does not have to put up with my constant shouting at matches nowadays! But I do enjoy away games because, above all else, I like the crowd atmosphere with the fans. That is what I miss most about being a regular supporter.”

Much has changed for Athletic since the Trust’s inception during the dark days of seeking to keep the club alive, post-Chris Moore, and, likewise, the aims and objectives of the Trust have had to evolve. “The difficult position for any Trust is its status in a club that is in private ownership” says Owen, hinting that he is torn between appreciation and pride for the Trust’s position at the club, all the while pining for the Trust to have a more prominent standing. As for what he believes the goals of the Trust should be: “The Trust aim should always be to support the club in any and every way possible. I have heard it said that the money raised should not be given to the club and should be saved for that ‘rainy day’ that might come.” Whilst having a propensity to worry, Owen is not so risk averse to believe that the Trust’s primary concern in the current climate should be the ‘what if…?’ “That’s totally negative and we should be assisting Oldham Athletic Football Club in any way we can now.” It is difficult not to agree with him, since a Trust that chose not to support the owners plans, and arguably showing a distinct lack of faith, would not be afforded the endorsement the Trust currently enjoys from the club’s owners and, in turn, the supporters.

Owen makes no apologies for how the Trust chooses to utilize its funds and is full of pride for the financial assistance the Trust has offered the club during the time he has been in office. “Some might believe that we have not done enough but, aside from the £200,000 that was originally donated, a further £56,000 has been handed over to the club, at an average of nearly £1,000 per month.”

Without me having to push him as to whether the Trust should do more to market itself and increase membership he concedes, “We are criticised for not doing enough by some supporters and perhaps there are some valid arguments. However, Trust Directors are volunteers and do their best. I do believe however that the Trust could be better marketed and that, apart from event fundraising, we should be a more solvent as a business with constant revenue streams coming in. Some of the new directors we have recruited recently will look to help to drive this initiative forward.”

Until the club reaches the stage of being self-sufficient, if indeed it ever can, there will no doubt remain, in the back of every Athletic supporter’s mind, that question of what if the owners desert in the fashion Chris Moore did a few years ago. I put this to Owen: “If the owners were to leave, and I have no reason to believe they would ‘jump ship’ as you put it, the Trust would do its best to ensure Oldham Athletic would continue.” He goes on to speak of his envy of the firm backing that Trust organisations at some other clubs enjoy, compared to Trust Oldham. I had not realised that the PlayerShare initiative that the Trust started up a couple of years ago was still going but Owen informs me that he is still flogging what may well be a dead horse, “Times are hard and nobody seems to participate in anything to do with fundraising. The PlayerShare scheme got little support and, although it is still running, it needs far more members if it is to help the club.”

So what does Barry Owen have to offer as Trust Chairman and Director at the club? “That’s a difficult one. I want to be modest in every sense because first and foremost I care deeply about our club and its supporters. I enjoy getting involved with supporters on a personal level and I always like to believe that I represent them all well in the boardroom.” Like him or loathe him, and whether you agree with his and the Trust’s views and actions, it would be altogether unfair to say that Owen does not have the Athletic’s best interests at heart. “In the past five years I have tried my best to become more aware of fans’ thoughts and feelings which vary so much.” His thoughts on how his successor will have to equipped tell you that he has often found it difficult to manage the expectations of his fellow directors and those of the fans, whilst doing what he believes to be best, “Whoever takes over from me in the future will have to be very thick-skinned. Along the way you are either upsetting your colleagues in the club or the fans are not happy with your actions. I carry out my duties with the primary intention that the Trust must survive whatever the circumstances.”

I was interested to hear Owen’s thoughts on how the club’s owners have embraced both his position as fans’ representative on the board and the club’s fans at large. “As with anything there is always room for improvement but, generally, I think the club makes an effort to consider fans’ views and the owners have always been keen to encourage participation.” It is pleasantly surprising that he does not feel so indebted for his position to be unwilling to rock the boat by pointing out where he think improvements might be made. Overall, though, he commends the club’s interaction with its fans, “I know fans have been particularly vocal in their appreciation that they always get an answer to their queries. I do believe that if people have issues to raise they should do so, and as their representative they can always do that through me if they choose.”

“As for my position on the board, the owners have been fantastic in their dealings with me. As time has gone on, I think they have gained a greater awareness of my intentions and I would hope I have earned their respect. We have a good board and individuals aren’t frightened to air different views.”

Recently, some fans have suggested that Owen’s position should be an elected one: “I think fans that suggested that have poor memories. In those bleak early days, a Trust had to be formed and nominations were asked for. A public vote of all members was held and ten of us were elected and I eventually became Chairman. It was agreed by the Trust that the Chairman would be the representative on the club board after discussions with the club.” One might suggest that rather than a poor memory, those fans may in fact have a lack of knowledge of the Trust’s activity; something for which the under-marketed organization is arguably culpable. Certainly, it came as news to me when Owen told me, “There have been elections at the AGM and, at the most recent one, I was up for re-election and returned unanimously.”

I went on to ask what his best and worst times as Trust Chairman have been: “This may cause some consternation amongst some of my colleagues but my best time as a director was when I spent over six months dealing with the Lee Hughes matter and eventually seeing him signed. I never believed in my wildest dreams we could get him, despite the baggage.”

“The worst times followed that when he left us. I accept I am biased about Hughes but I believe his football skill will never be matched at our club for many years to come. I don’t believe we ever saw the best of him but you could be sure of one thing, he was the centre of conversation with rival managers and directors alike.” I am somewhat taken a back when Owen, a former police officer, claims that much of criticism of Hughes is unwarranted, but clearly the Trust man has formed something of a bond with the striker, “My feelings about signing him are well documented and, whilst I respect the opinion of those who disagree, I make no apology for my own. I wish Lee Hughes well and will continue to keep in touch with him.”

As the role probably requires, Owen in unapologetic about his efforts as Trust Chairman and club director and, whatever your views on the Trusts effectiveness, it is hard not to believe that the club’s best interests are his main concern. Whilst the Trust struggles for backing amongst the Athletic fanbase, and often faces much criticism, Owen is determined in his efforts to maintain a fan’s voice in the club’s boardroom.

And what about when his days on the board are done? Don’t expect him to desert Athletic – “I will always be there for anyone who wants me, even if that means I’m rattling a bucket outside the ground on matchday.”

OWTB would like to extend its thanks to Barry Owen for taking the time to complete this interview.

Well the Trust certainly kept that election very very quiet. How many of it's members knew and indeed voted. Stinks. I wonder if I'll hear when subs are due again? This is not a Barry out by the way but utterly disgusted that such an important event goes un-noticed.

Well the Trust certainly kept that election very very quiet. How many of it's members knew and indeed voted. Stinks. I wonder if I'll hear when subs are due again? This is not a Barry out by the way but utterly disgusted that such an important event goes un-noticed.

Yeah exactly... I do not remember that election being advertised ???

In fact I remember asking people on here when is Barry up for re-election and got no answer....

Edited by oafc0000

Great interview. Good to see poor Governance of the Trust abounds and Barry in effect represents himself and the Committee only. He had a Rolly Royce and has turned it into a Ford Anglia. He may look enviously at other clubs Trusts.... but he has designed and delivered what we have.

Great interview. Good to see poor Governance of the Trust abounds and Barry in effect represents himself and the Committee only. He had a Rolly Royce and has turned it into a Ford Anglia. He may look enviously at other clubs Trusts.... but he has designed and delivered what we have.

I suspect we shouldn't be too envious of the Trust that owned Stockport.