Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#11 - Yeovil Town

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

On Saturday, Latics host visitors Yeovil Town at Boundary Park. As such, I tracked down some friendly Glovers fans to answer our questions...

1) Terry Skiverton has been a loyal player for Yeovil over the past decade and has now made the step up to manager. What are your opinions of him and what is his general style of play?

- Well, when appointed, I thought he was offered it by our much maligned Chairman, John Fry, as he was a clear cheap option. Whilst that opinion has not changed, I feel he does try to play entertaining football. I think some of our games have been crackers and that is a credit to Skivo.

- Terry is a brilliant player but it has to be said that his progress as a manager has been less than steady. We usually play a high-tempo passing game.

- I think Terry was brave to take the job, although given his performances for the club in his playing days this will come as no surprise. He is new to the managerial job, so people shouldn't be too hard on him. Given his available budget he has done well pre-season to assemble a young squad with a few experienced heads. The team have started to click in recent weeks, so if we can keep a settled team on the field we may progress.

- During our win against Brentford, our fans started to chat 'On the p**s with Skivo' we had to sacrifice Gary Roberts and recently brought in Craig Davies from Brighton (Yes him, nights out in Cheadle, wink wink) So you get the picture one of the lads.

2) Have you made any signings to your squad this season so far? If so, how have they been?

- Yes, quite a lot! I won’t go through them all but I will mention these few: Steven Caulker is a tall 17 year old central defender signed on loan from Tottenham. He is simply immense and every game he gets better and better. I will go as far as to say, if he is not a Tottenham regular by the time he is 20, then there is something seriously wrong somewhere. Ryan Mason is a 17 year old forward (though we have been playing him in midfield until our win over Brentford.) signed on loan, also from Spurs. Excellent addition, a real tryer and another with a terrific future. We also signed Scott Murray on a permanent deal from Bristol City and he is also superb...at warming the bench.

- Sam Williams is a striker and makes a noticeable difference when he is on the pitch.

- The loan signings from Spurs (Mason & Caulker) have been good thus far, given their ages. Sam Williams has started to settle after being given a run of games. Dean Bowditch made a great start but unfortunately got hacked out of the first game. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again.

- After missing out to Real Madrid's 11th hour bid to sign Kaka, our board decided to do nothing. Too many changes, not enough foresight, instead our only hope rests on others teams futures - loan players.

3) Last season, you finished 17th in League One. How do you think you will do in League One this season?

- I would take 17th again to be honest. So 17th.

- With two inexperienced managers, you would not raise your expectations but I would be surprised if we were relegated due to our new striking power which we were lacking last season.

- Given the Great Escape last season and our relatively small budget, Skivo's lack of experience, I would be glad with 17th again. Anything more would be a bonus.

- Please use the same answer, the Stockport fans would have submitted earlier this season or for a more accurate answers used two years ago.

4) Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing?

- Exeter plus the ones you would expect: Charlton, Southampton and Norwich.

- Exeter is our new local derby and as a team who have never been higher than league one it is nice to go to teams like Southampton and Charlton to experience the stadium atmosphere.

- Saints at home (my Cousin and Uncle are Saints fans), Exeter, Charlton.

- We're looking forward to playing any team in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, as long it’s televised. We need the cash to help pay for our Chairmen's next set of grandioso architect plans for a new 12 thousand seater stadium.

5) What tactics are you likely to employ and have played with this season?

- We have tried to play a passing game using Andy Welsh down the left flank. Whilst pretty, we went 9 games without a win so Skivo changed to a 4-5-1 (Or 4-4-1-1 depending on who you speak to!) and very effective it was too.

- As I say, most of our tactics are mostly passing quickly, but we have started to make link-ups with Nathan Jones (right-back) and Andy Welsh but occasionally we make long passes up the pitch.

- 4-2-3-1 seems to be the tactic de jour.

- You know all those options they offer you on LMA 09 under tactics, where the most wacky formation on the pull-down menu gets you a 2-0 win against Man City , so you retain the formation for the next game and get hammered 3-0 in the cup to Bradford Park Avenue - one of them.

6) Yeovil currently have 10 points and go into Saturday’s fixture in 17th place. What are Yeovil’s strengths and weakness both on and off the pitch?

- Strengths - Caulker at the back. He will have the beating of almost every forward in the league. We will also get chances in the match. Weaknesses - Despite Caulker, we concede a few. Off the pitch, unfortunately we are very non league.

- Our strikers are brilliant but usually the defence lets us down.

- As has been stated before, the non league attitude of the club off the pitch, lack of a playing budget. On the pitch, we are starting to be a bit stingy in defence which is nice. The two holding midfielders are doing a great job in front of the back four. Give us a 20 goal striker and we'd be sorted! Hopefully Deano or Sam can fill that role!

- Watching Yeovil is a true reflection of life, its dour struggles and its miseries and its injustices and its very fleeting moments in the light. Yeovil will be one point off the drop.

7) Who is Yeovil’s key player who we should look out for ahead of Saturday’s fixture and for the rest of the season?

- Steven Caulker at the back and since he returned to the club, Jean-Paul Kalala has played brilliantly. He is a holding midfielder.

- It's hard to tell at this moment in time but Andy Welsh seems to be picking up form and Sam Williams is making and scoring goal.

- Steven Caulker is being immense at the back, as is Terrell Forbes. Ryan Mason is also one for the future (Spurs's not ours!).

- They say anything that polarises opinion is key to the final answer, therefore, I offer Gavin Tomlin. However, depending on the state of your pitch it should be Ryan Mason, if he's allowed to play. Steven Caulker is going to be heavily watched by a cast of scouts this weekend, so it's unlikely we'll seen him next year.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Charlton or Leeds. Outsiders - always at least one. I just hope the arrogant arses called Leeds United stay down for at least another year. The cheating :censored: .

- I don't think it's very likely to be any surprises. Winners - probably Norwich or Leeds.

- Leeds or Charlton probably, however (and it pains me to say it) Brizzle Rovers have started very well.

- Leeds would win the league if quality of football was the gauge, but Charlton should have the experience to pip them. The surprise will be Tranmere if Robbie Fowler does return.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Before the season began, I had you in the top 8 and pushing for a playoff spot.

- I think it's quite unlikely that they will finish in the bottom half of the table.

- We've always had good games, I reckon the last play off place would suit you!

- If Chris Taylor runs hot rather than cold and old man Abbott stays fit - top ten; squad is too thin for a play-off position.

10) And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- Heart says 2-1 Yeovil but head says 2-1 Oldham.

- I'm not sure about your strikers but if they do well I think 2 - 2.

- 0-0. Sorry, but then I'm not coming so a boring 0-0 will suit me!

- 0-0 as I'm going.

Many thanks to the Yeovil fans that took part in the interviews this week. It seems the Yeovil fans have low expectations for the season ahead, and predict a draw this coming Saturday. But can Latics capitalise on their splendid mid-week performance against MK Dons and make it 4 wins on the trot?