Saturday

oafcprozac

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting video. What it suggested to me was careful attention to media skills:

An articulate moderate sounding bloke with a silly none-threatening midlands accent, rather than interviewing random members of the crowd to see what they think

The pitifully obvious token black man

The PC nature of the banners - concern for womens liberation and gay rights (although to be fair homosexuality is frequently rife in far right movements, and I think none the worse of them for it)

The constant appeals towards victimisation - plainly hoping to provoke trouble but saying, "why can't we when they can blah blah blah."

Towards the end, I was thinking that, "Muslim bombers off our streets," was the new, "No Surrender," ie something that is impossible to argue against but that you understand the wider malicious nature of, but then they came through with the old favourite anyway.

The tactics are plain

Nail head smack bang wallop case closed.

Interesting video. What it suggested to me was careful attention to media skills:

An articulate moderate sounding bloke with a silly none-threatening midlands accent, rather than interviewing random members of the crowd to see what they think

The pitifully obvious token black man

The PC nature of the banners - concern for womens liberation and gay rights (although to be fair homosexuality is frequently rife in far right movements, and I think none the worse of them for it)

The constant appeals towards victimisation - plainly hoping to provoke trouble but saying, "why can't we when they can blah blah blah."

Towards the end, I was thinking that, "Muslim bombers off our streets," was the new, "No Surrender," ie something that is impossible to argue against but that you understand the wider malicious nature of, but then they came through with the old favourite anyway.

The tactics are plain

i know you are a lot brighter than that LL, the 'pitifull obvious token black man', is probably the youngest member of the EDL, who is there by choice, and wants the best for his country, which means protesting against 'clerics' who are brainwashing young (and old) muslims to fight the third and final jihad

Snooks, if it offends that much I'll remove it.

I'll take down the "Commie" transcript and leave the EDL joke of a video up - that will do more damage to their credibility than anything else.

I've realised I've personally spent far too much time talking about the EDL and their right wing fascist hangers on, they don't deserve one second more. Debate away, but I will not give either white or Islamic extremism another second of my time.

EDL = BNP = C18 = NF = ISLAMIC JIHAD = MUJAHIDHEEN

All the same hate.

i know you are a lot brighter than that LL, the 'pitifull obvious token black man', is probably the youngest member of the EDL, who is there by choice, and wants the best for his country, which means protesting against 'clerics' who are brainwashing young (and old) muslims to fight the third and final jihad

I'm not saying he isn't a member creepy. It's been an interesting dynamic in racist politic in the last couple of decades that the West Indian community has grown from the biggest hate figure (depending on your region I guess) to one which many whites are prepared to make common cause with against Muslims/Asians. They don't half make a big play of him in the video though, almost like they are protesting too much.

Snooks, if it offends that much I'll remove it.

I'll take down the "Commie" transcript and leave the EDL joke of a video up - that will do more damage to their credibility than anything else.

I've realised I've personally spent far too much time talking about the EDL and their right wing fascist hangers on, they don't deserve one second more. Debate away, but I will not give either white or Islamic extremism another second of my time.

EDL = BNP = C18 = NF = ISLAMIC JIHAD = MUJAHIDHEEN

All the same hate.

You could have saved both yourself and me a whole load of time tonight by adopting LL's approach, each to their own I suppose :grin:

I'm not saying he isn't a member creepy. It's been an interesting dynamic in racist politic in the last couple of decades that the West Indian community has grown from the biggest hate figure (depending on your region I guess) to one which many whites are prepared to make common cause with against Muslims/Asians. They don't half make a big play of him in the video though, almost like they are protesting too much.

The parallels to Cameron's speech today are uncanny - if you're watching QT now youll see what I mean...

I wasn't there so I may be well wide of the mark.....

But it looks like, as I suspected, that it was the students/UAF causing more of the trouble.

I wasn't there either. It looked to me like it was the Martians who caused it all :unsure:

Silly comment if I am honest YD. We know the routine. Nazis advertise presence. They go out and await response. Anti-Nazis/muslim groups/whoever turn up. A kick off ensues. It's at least a hundred years old.

If anyone is interested in the two side's arguments then have a listen to this 5live phone in which has Tommy Robinson (EDL) and Julie Keller (Oldham UAF) speaking. It starts at 1hr 38min.

To be honest, when you listen to the main players from the EDL in my opinion there's little to disagree with and quite a lot to agree with, but they have obviously attracted hard-line nationalists/racists to their protests and others who have ulterior motives (mainly fighting with Asians) and you can see why the UAF take the stance they do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070jd4/episodes/player