Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#14 - Brighton

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics make the long trip to the south coast to face Brighton. As usual, we found some Brighton fans to answer a selection of our questions...

1) So this is Russell Slades first season, were you happy with his appointment and what is the fans opinion of him so far?

- Yes. He's a nice guy but the jury is out on his ability to achieve 'the project' getting us to The Championship by the 2011/12 season.

- Delighted with what he managed to achieve last season and pleased he got appointed. This season has started slowly, but starting to look (slightly) on the up. He seems to have got us playing good, passing football. Something that's been missing from Withdean for quite awhile.

- He seems a nice guy, which maybe the problem. After rescuing us last year, the results this year have not shown us any change in our fortunes

- Delighted with his appointment, has a proven track record in the lower leagues and saved us from the drop in great style at the end of last season. Slightly disappointing start to this season but the majority of Albion fans are right behind him still.

- Pleased with his appointment after saving us from almost certain relegation last season, but confidence in his ability is fading after a poor start.

2) How was your transfer activity in the window? Did you sign many players? If so how have they been? Also you signed Craig Davies from Oldham and have since loaned him out to Yeovil. How come?

- We signed a few, for me Elliott Bennett seems to have been the best capture. Craig Davies? Very low on confidence/ability to score at the present time

- Had a big clear out, and signed some promising names, in promising positions. Stand out players have been Elliott Bennett and Gary Dicker. Would like to see more of Graeme Smith. A goal keeper who spent last year at Motherwell. Craig Davies career at Brighton has yet to really begin. Low on confidence after being taunted by our fans, in an already terrible season. Felt it was a good idea to loan him out, but his performances for Yeovil don't sound great.

- We signed a few players who are still to look the part. Craig Davis needs confidence and he is not getting it playing here at the moment.

- Davies is a great player on his day but lacks confidence, he needs a run of games and a few goals and hopefully Yeovil can provide that for him and he can return a more confident player. We signed a few in the transfer window and we are still letting them bed in to our style of play but have high hopes, particularly of Elliott Bennett and James Tunicliffe.

- We have signed a ridiculous number of players after releasing about 15 pre-season. In fact about 10 of our squad of 18 at Tranmere are new signings. Craig 'Barndoor' Davies has been loaned out to try and score, something he hasn’t done for the first team since his debut in February!

3) After finishing 16th last season what realistically are your hopes this year?

- Just outside the playoffs, if not inside them!

- Personally, I'd be happy with a top half finish this season. Playoffs next season.

- Realistically, avoid relegation.

- An improvement on last season, our younger players to come on and hopefully in a position this time next season to challenge the top sides in this division for our move to our new home at Falmer.

- With our budget, I would have hoped for a play-off spot but now I would be content with a top half finish.

4) Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing or not playing (or have played)?

- Leeds, Southampton.

- Southampton.

- Huddersfield Town and Southampton.

- We are all looking forward to our games against the big ex-Premier League clubs of Charlton, Norwich and Southampton who grace our division.

- Looking forward to Southampton and Charlton.

5) What has been your general style of play/tactics this year? Is this likely to change for the trip of Oldham?

- Seem to be playing more football this year, although we still have hoofball central defenders.

- Playing a lot more passing football as mentioned above. Still moments of long ball passing, but a lot less than last season. Can't imagine our tactics will change much for the trip to Oldham. Nicky Forster should hopefully be coming back into the team after missing our last match with an injury.

- Tactics....mmmmmm I remember them. Not sure that they work though.

- Slade likes us to play attractive football which is easy on the eye, I expect we will play like this on Saturday, particularly after demolishing Gillingham impressively in our last home game.

- There's no one style of play this season, but our wingers seem to be seeing a lot more of the ball than I remember last season.

6) You currently lie 19th after the defeat to Tranmere on Saturday their first win for a while, was it a fair result?

- Didn't go, but the general consensus was, yes, it was a fair result on the day.

- Yes, but could have snatched a draw if Glenn Murray didn't get stupidly sent off for two handballs.

- From those who were there, we were crap!

- No, we bossed the majority of the game and were at least worth a point, however sloppy defending, poor finishing and some incorrect refereeing decisions conspired against us.

- I was there and honestly thought we did enough to get a point. We wasted some good opportunities against a poor Tranmere side.

7) Who are Brighton's key player/players? Who should the Oldham fans keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- Nicky Forster, Elliott Bennett.

- Nicky Forster and Elliott Bennett. Keep an eye on Dickinson if he starts. I have a feeling this lad will come good sooner rather than later.

- Well, Bennett is our one player who can turn a game, so him really.

- Elliott Bennett is a flying winger with an eye for goal. Liam Dickinson has a great shot on him and on his day can be as good as any striker in the division.

- With Forster 50/50 to start, our Right winger Elliott Bennett has to be the man to watch. Lightning quick with a great right foot.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- It looks like Leeds if they hold their nerve!

- Leeds. Unfortunately, I fancy an outside bet of Southampton for the play offs.

- Huddersfield Town...best team in the division by a country mile...in fact they ought to give the title to Town now and save the embarrassment of the L***s fans when Town thrash them twice again!

- Colchester don't play particularly entertaining football but they are extremely efficient and effective, they are my dark horses. Leeds and Norwich look to me the strongest sides currently.

- I think Charlton will win it this year, however I won't be surprised if Norwich are knocking on the door come the end of the season.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Mid Table.

- 10th - 12th.

- Well it depends ....if you win games, you will do well, if you lose games you will be relegated.

- Top half.

- Comfortable mid-table finish.

10) And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- Saturday!! 1-1.

- 2-0 Albion.

- 1-2 Oldham.

- 3-0 to the good guys.

- 2-0 Brighton (Dickinson with both goals).

Many thanks to those Brighton fans who took part this week. It seems Nicky Forster and Elliott Bennett should be the ones to watch for Latics fans this week. Can Latics travel back north with 3 points and bounce back from last week's disappointing defeat against Southampton?...