KFC-gate - The Chicken Crusades

kev1969

Can I point out at this stage that Halal chicken meat belongs to the same chicken that may have been running around (well if the poor fecker is lucky) waiting for regular slaughter, before it was slaughtered differently. It doesn't get curried, or jerked, or smoked, or dessicated, or salt cured, or fired out of a cannon - it is simply drained of it's blood before it's butchered.

It's the same friggin' chicken.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not see that Muslim people have be denied access to these resturants for too long... And how very small changes can open them up to everyone....

In a foreign land you do as they do. If you want to observe your culture or religion you can do that as this country is very tolerant. What you don't do is force that culture and religion and its beliefs and restrictions on others as has happened here with both KFC and Subway. If these chains opened up a halal one next door to non halal then well done for providing a restaraunt for a section of the community who have requested one but they haven't. They have removed choice from one to appease another.

As for the underhanded accusation of racism I expect little more from you since any complaint about the muslim community is clearly seen as racism, and the wedge pushed into the door simply gets pushed further.

As for the underhanded accusation of racism I expect little more from you since any complaint about the muslim community is clearly seen as racism, and the wedge pushed into the door simply gets pushed further.

Before it was about not having a choice - which you clearly do, now it's a complaint about the Muslim community? And you wonder why there are alleged insinuations?

In a foreign land you do as they do. If you want to observe your culture or religion you can do that as this country is very tolerant. What you don't do is force that culture and religion and its beliefs and restrictions on others as has happened here with both KFC and Subway. If these chains opened up a halal one next door to non halal then well done for providing a restaraunt for a section of the community who have requested one but they haven't. They have removed choice from one to appease another.

in a foreign land???? It's as much their land as it is yours!!!! :shock:

You can't have bacon because it is not allowed in the same place under muslim religion. Hence the change to halal is essentially a removal of choice for a section of the community and hence racism against that section imho. Halal is not part of the UK culture or religion and thus should not be forced upon it which is what is happening here.

Asda, Tesco of halal sections but they DO NOT restrict anyone elses choice and therefore is not an issue. However you have to wonder how they can have an halal section and pig products in the same store.

Yarddog I have not tried that new chippy in Shaw. Ussually go to the Dolphin one so must try it. KFC and co are crap compared to the good chippys

This thread caught my interest after I recently used that petrol station and broke off for a 'bacon' butty whilst inside - the girl told me that they had stopped doing bacon and all pork products. For whatever reason I didn't even question this and walked away reasoning that they had just ditched them for being nasty. I wouldn't have come up with the real reason in a month of Sundays.

I don't think it's racist though, it's just ridiculous that the issue even exists. However, at the end of the day nobody is obliged to sell anything to anybody......Subway, KFC or wherever all sell whatever they want, take it or leave it. You think it's racist, maybe it sort of is, but don't worry about it. Bollocks to 'em. :)

so your saying that the thoughts and feelings of a Muslim person should take second place to yours? Again you suggest your more important...

You can't accept one small change to the menu to accomdate a large section of the community... Is bacon really more important...

I would accept my thoughts and feelings coming second in parts of the world with differing tradition - I would respect their alternative and crack on whilst if anything was a big deal to me I'd simply leave. If it was up to me I'd all but outlaw religion and be done with the whole bloody issue. Instead of trying to accomodate everyone's, accomodate none. Simple.

Also I don't see why the bacon can't be on the menu alongside the halal :censored:. Contamination doesn't wash with me, it's petty. Give a little take a little, for Christ's sake. :)

cross comtamination....

That is an absolute load of bollocks. I worked at McDonalds back when I was at Uni. Maccies do Veggie Burgers and Fillet of Fish for the vegitarians, many of whom would refuse to eat he veggie/fish if it was cooked in the same fat as the chicken. And its not juse the same fat, its making sure you dont use the same tongs for picking up the food, wear same gloves for vegie stuff etc... If McDonalds can manage to avoid cross contamination, then why cant KFC and Subway?

If they want to offer Halal, it really is as simple as offering it as well as non Halal meat. Just make sure it's not cross contaminated (which isn't that hard).

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Good article on the ritual slaughter of meat here, http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article...al-slaughter.do

Personally I don`t use any establishment using these methods, I do eat meat as is my choice but what I find hard to take is the fact that unwitting customers are eating halal meat without knowing the full facts. It seems a case of ah well they wont notice anyhow which in some small point is what Max maybe getting at as well as the bacon issue.

That is an absolute load of bollocks. I worked at McDonalds back when I was at Uni. Maccies do Veggie Burgers and Fillet of Fish for the vegitarians, many of whom would refuse to eat he veggie/fish if it was cooked in the same fat as the chicken. And its not juse the same fat, its making sure you dont use the same tongs for picking up the food, wear same gloves for vegie stuff etc... If McDonalds can manage to avoid cross contamination, then why cant KFC and Subway?

If they want to offer Halal, it really is as simple as offering it as well as non Halal meat. Just make sure it's not cross contaminated (which isn't that hard).

Ask them.... From Reading it seems that is the reason....

Bloody hell, Brian Sewell? Is this the same Brian Sewell that wanted all the Northerners dead with smallpox as part of his "Grand Solution"? What a dick.

a lot of slaughter houses use the pre shock method so there is no suffering....which is the case with Kfc I guess the article did not mention that...

Edited by oafc0000

in a foreign land???? It's as much their land as it is yours!!!! :shock:

Seen you have been lurking the boards this morning max but failed to take on my point above...

Why is this land more yours than theirs? Why do you see british muslims as being on "foreign land" ??

I also worked once at Mcdonalds and to be fair mate no one actually took a blind bit of notice to them rules really most managers turned a blind eye and most customers had no idea because in my store when we had no concerts on all filets and veggie burgers where cooked to order so most the time they would of sat down while the food was prepared.

I also worked once at Mcdonalds and to be fair mate no one actually took a blind bit of notice to them rules really most managers turned a blind eye and most customers had no idea because in my store when we had no concerts on all filets and veggie burgers where cooked to order so most the time they would of sat down while the food was prepared.

I get the impression that is the reason why they have had to remove swine products as its hard to grantee that there has been no cross contamination. To meet the Halal requirements, swine based products can not be anywhere in the supply chain apparently.

Does McDonalds officially meet the Halal requirements and is endorsed by the Halal food authority like KFC ?

I get the impression that is the reason why they have had to remove swine products as its hard to grantee that there has been no cross contamination. To meet the Halal requirements, swine based products can not be anywhere in the supply chain apparently.

Does McDonalds officially meet the Halal requirements and is endorsed by the Halal food authority like KFC ?

To be fair i dunno because i left 3 years ago and to be honest i could not careless anyway you would have to go in and ask a manager or something.

Let's face it, half* the chickens on sale have pork in them, halal or not.

*Alright, not half, but a reasonably large percentage.

Let's face it, half* the chickens on sale have pork in them, halal or not.

*Alright, not half, but a reasonably large percentage.

Again do you have any evidence for this ? Halal chicken should not contain any pork.... The whole point of Halal is that it dose not have pork anywhere in the supply chain so how do you come to the conclusion that it contains pork...

EDIT:

I found this http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/04...d-products.html

The council admitted Thursday that it might have granted halal (permitted under Islamic law) certificates for dried beef products (dendeng) actually containing pork.

"We might have been conned," council deputy chairman Amidhan told The Jakarta Post.

So if this is the type of incident which you are referring to then the cases you seem to be highlighting is where people have been conned or mislead...

If it wants to be classified as Halal meat it should contain no pork...at all... and my guess is the VAST majority of it dose not contain pork.

Edited by oafc0000

Stitch

we are not talking about going on holiday here... We are talking about British people living in this country. Max seems to see british Muslims as being on foriegn land...

I understand we're not, but what's it got to do with this topic? This is a religion issue, not a nationality issue. I spoke about going elsewhere because I'd expect to have to in order to find Islam treated as the primary rubbish.

At the end of the day Muslims are now being specifically catered for, ahead of Christians, in a place which is/was deeply Christian. Now I think that's bizzare but it doesn't upset me simply because I accept that people can offer for sale whatever they want or don't want, as the case may be.

The sooner all religion finishes dying out the better. They're all unbelievably ridiculous and I hope to play my part in discouraging future generations to abandon the whole concept, for the good of mankind. Praise me..... :)

So if this is the type of incident which you are referring to then the cases you seem to be highlighting is where people have been conned or mislead...

If it wants to be classified as Halal meat it should contain no pork...at all... and my guess is the VAST majority of it dose not contain pork.

It is most certainly people being misled, but not as uncommon as you would think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3006192.stm

"The tests showed pork protein in half the chicken marked "Halal"".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fo...uk-1696407.html

I do seem to remember something on this on the telly last year that was quite horrific in numbers and included not just restaurants (Halal ones at that) but supermarket chicken too.

At the end of the day Muslims are now being specifically catered for, ahead of Christians, in a place which is/was deeply Christian. Now I think that's bizzare but it doesn't upset me simply because I accept that people can offer for sale whatever they want or don't want, as the case may be.

Specifically catered for ahead of Christians... Point out what is on the menu which I can not eat ?

Its not about putting Christians second... Its about expanding the number of people who can eat together....

I find it funny that so many people bang on about "Christians" being left out when the majority of you are clearly want nothing to do with Christianity... If myself as a practising Christian is fine with this then why do non practising Christians have a problem and talk about how Christians are being discriminated against. Its bonkers :)

The sooner all religion finishes dying out the better. They're all unbelievably ridiculous and I hope to play my part in discouraging future generations to abandon the whole concept, for the good of mankind. Praise me..... :)

As you keep repeating :) Your welcome to your opinion :)

It is most certainly people being misled, but not as uncommon as you would think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3006192.stm

"The tests showed pork protein in half the chicken marked "Halal"".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fo...uk-1696407.html

I do seem to remember something on this on the telly last year that was quite horrific in numbers and included not just restaurants (Halal ones at that) but supermarket chicken too.

If the articles are true its extremely out of order... I take these reports with a pinch of salt though.

Specifically catered for ahead of Christians... Point out what is on the menu which I can not eat ?

What? It's bizzare that Islam is suddenly the primary religion in these establishments, which it clearly is, regardless of whether Christians can eat their offerings or not. They ought to be serving talking snakes.