5 more killed in Afghanistan

leeslover

2009 is now officially the bloodiest year for the Forces since 1982 and the Falklands was. Killed by a local policeman, ie one of the guys we are there to train so that they can take over security themselves, ie prop up the corrupt election rigging government we put in place to pass laws allowing husbands to starve their wives if they refuse sex. It’s time to come home.

I saw a mate who'd come back from Canada inbetween stints in the Middle East theatre - not one of yer REMF's but one of the boys who patrol the villages and towns - the lads who get shot at every day, and he was a shadow of his former self. One of his pals was re-patriated last week too.

1000 yard stare, and dead quiet. It's painful to watch.

I saw a mate who'd come back from Canada inbetween stints in the Middle East theatre - not one of yer REMF's but one of the boys who patrol the villages and towns - the lads who get shot at every day, and he was a shadow of his former self. One of his pals was re-patriated last week too.

1000 yard stare, and dead quiet. It's painful to watch.

If he hasn't done so (or if you haven't done so) it would be worth suggesting to him to see someone as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is not fun (certainly isn't a wimp's disease which many wrongly stigmatise it as) and he may be able to get help- his GP would be a good starting point.

I'm not a big fan of commenting on the situation involving our troops as I can have absolutely no idea what they are going through, it is fairly clear to me though that if we had put more effort into sorting Afghanistan out as opposed to invading Iraq for the oil companies and Halliburton that some of the problems our troops are having there wouldn't be as severe.

2009 is now officially the bloodiest year for the Forces since 1982 and the Falklands was. Killed by a local policeman, ie one of the guys we are there to train so that they can take over security themselves, ie prop up the corrupt election rigging government we put in place to pass laws allowing husbands to starve their wives if they refuse sex. It’s time to come home.

I agree with the operation in Afghanistan, but the numbers of troops we have over there is disproportionately high. It's high time the burden of the responsibility was shared more equally with other countries.

If he hasn't done so (or if you haven't done so) it would be worth suggesting to him to see someone as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is not fun (certainly isn't a wimp's disease which many wrongly stigmatise it as) and he may be able to get help- his GP would be a good starting point.

There's an Oldham branch being set up at the moment for those who have PTSD. Bloke at work is sorting it. Sadly there didn't seem to be many places if any at all in the North West for people who suffer from it.

There's an Oldham branch being set up at the moment for those who have PTSD. Bloke at work is sorting it. Sadly there didn't seem to be many places if any at all in the North West for people who suffer from it.

That's quite good a support group will be really helpful with this condition but there are more medical/pharmacological treatments availible as well as the GP ought to be able to refer the person to a psychologist a good combination of all 3 might be needed.

it was my former regiment that lost the 3 soldiers - 2 of them i served with - daz chant was my old csm but progressed to rsm , absolutley devastated! cant believe their gone try to train and trust those who turn against us. hate to be out there now - u wouldnt know which to trust if any

danny (Chaddylad 02)

honi soit qui maly pense

R.I.P

Edited by wardlelatic

I'm often Calous now. I hear the news. I hear that one, two, ten, a hundred are dead. I'll be honest. It means very little.

Half of me says it is a war we shouldn't be in. Another half says that this is what soldiers are paid for.

Then, I remember back to my visit to Northern France. Men who purposefully had bombs dropped on themselves for the greater good (i.e to blow up the enemy). Then I remember the valour. I reckon this never changes throughout generations. Be it France, germany, Iran, Iraq.

The sacrificie is magnificant.

I think it is moreso at the moment, that they are fighting for something that isn't directly personal (i.e. their mother/father).

Half of me says it is a war we shouldn't be in. Another half says that this is what soldiers are paid for.

Why does it have to be half and half? I believe both, if we are going to pay soldiers to go off and fight and in some cases die I'd rather we did it for something vaguely worthwhile rather than some fantasy that some inbred medieval peasants are threatening my way of life from a desert on the other side of the world.

Why does it have to be half and half? I believe both, if we are going to pay soldiers to go off and fight and in some cases die I'd rather we did it for something vaguely worthwhile rather than some fantasy that some inbred medieval peasants are threatening my way of life from a desert on the other side of the world.

I think there's plenty of evidence around to show it's more than just a fantasy, LL. Like Pakistan, Afghanistan was/is a massive breeding ground and training centre for Islamic fundamentalists hell bent on causing massive civilian casualties in the West. On another scale completely compared to your Morocco's, Libya, Indonesia, as I understand it.

Whether the current 'NATO' operation will 'sort out' Afghanistan is another matter...

I think there's plenty of evidence around to show it's more than just a fantasy, LL. Like Pakistan, Afghanistan was/is a massive breeding ground and training centre for Islamic fundamentalists hell bent on causing massive civilian casualties in the West.

I think we'd do better to concentrate on keeping them away from here than going halfway around the world to tell people how to live. Difficult I know...

It breaks my heart every time I hear of another family losing a son, all for some supposed goal which will never be achieved. And I don't even have any recent military connections.

I would encourage everyone to support our forces, and those who have gone before them, at some local ceremony on Sunday.

I think there's plenty of evidence around to show it's more than just a fantasy, LL. Like Pakistan, Afghanistan was/is a massive breeding ground and training centre for Islamic fundamentalists hell bent on causing massive civilian casualties in the West. On another scale completely compared to your Morocco's, Libya, Indonesia, as I understand it.

Whether the current 'NATO' operation will 'sort out' Afghanistan is another matter...

Certainly there are dozens of training camps for Islamic nutjobs in Pakistan and Afghanistan with loads of people, including UK citizens, attending them. I think they are crap though, I keep hearing about this multi-billionaire funded global organisation with tens of thousands of these highly trained willing suicidistas, yet the people actually trying to do things here can't even manage to blow themselves up, and that in the face of the amazing incompetence of our internal security forces. Even their propaganda videos seem to focus on poorly executed forward rolls. There is also a big deception going on with calling every Afghani who tries to kill foreigners who invade his country, "Taliban," Taliban were a new and short lived movement who only ruled most of Afghanistan by conquering the rest. The correct term for an Afghani who tries to kill people who invade his country is ,"Afghani." They fight like :censored: at home, they couldn't give a toss about the rest of the world. The Taliban (the real ones) had even done a deal to put Bin Laden on a plain back to Saudi until Clinton blew their country up in his (possibly inaccurate) reaction to the car bombing of the WTC