oafc0000

Marketing Idea - 3 for £30  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• Yes
    • No

-----------------3 for £30----------------------

Cost of advertising = £600 to £750 for two week pitch

We would only need an 25 extra customers to make the advert pay for itself....

Sat 9th Jan - Leyton Orient

Sat 23rd Jan - Millwall

Sat 30th Jan - Brentford

Got the idea from this which I saw today going into Wigan...

waiqo9.jpg

Simples!

Edited by oafc0000

This would involve the hypothetical marketing side of the club using its initiative. They can't even be arsed to market a cup tie against a big club and our local rivals. You're living in a dream world.

I miss SMJ1.

Edited by jsslatic

This would involve the hypothetical marketing side of the club using its initiative.

No initiative required... I have done the work for them :)

You're living in a dream world.

Maybe...

Anyway, what do you think of the actual idea?

Edited by oafc0000

Anyway, what do you think of the actual idea?

What? I've paid more per game than that on my season ticket. I hope the bloody club is going to give me a refund!

:grin:

Personally, I think it's a good idea. But hardly revolutionary. Every time I pass the paper shop, I wonder why the next fixture isn't advertised on the side.

:grin:

Personally, I think it's a good idea. But hardly revolutionary. Every time I pass the paper shop, I wonder why the next fixture isn't advertised on the side.

:)

Sometimes the simple stuff is the best... It could only be a bounus if it winds up the main stand :lol: j/k :wink:

Edited by oafc0000

I picked the January games as normally people are suffering after Christmas... Also we are unlikely to get huge attendances for these games I would imagine...

Could work, especially if you threw in a pie :devilish:

Seriously, worth a go, but you'll probably get ST holders moaning they're losing out then.

Well this is one season ticket holder all for it, anything to get bums on seats and generate a bit of a buzz.

Edit: if the idea gets the go ahead, would it be a good idea to advertise this in the run up to xmas for a few weeks also? could make a decent present for someone (though for some it could be about as appealing as gettin a knitted jumper off your gran :grin: )

Edited by Oafc88

Well this is one season ticket holder all for it, anything to get bums on seats and generate a bit of a buzz.

Edit: if the idea gets the go ahead, would it be a good idea to advertise this in the run up to xmas for a few weeks also? could make a decent present for someone (though for some it could be about as appealing as gettin a knitted jumper off your gran :grin: )

Or the socks and box of assorted liquers! :lol:

We always do promotions for the games that people don't want to go to for the reasons that they aren't likely to be as much fun as others. Games in January will mean it's bastard cold, you will be a bit skint in terms of having a few pre-match beers or treating the kids, if you have mates you used to go with they are likely to be giving these ones a miss. Why don't we get people in to fill the several thousand spare seats there are for potentially exciting games instead of dragging them in to show them just how bad it can be?

We always do promotions for the games that people don't want to go to for the reasons that they aren't likely to be as much fun as others. Games in January will mean it's bastard cold, you will be a bit skint in terms of having a few pre-match beers or treating the kids, if you have mates you used to go with they are likely to be giving these ones a miss. Why don't we get people in to fill the several thousand spare seats there are for potentially exciting games instead of dragging them in to show them just how bad it can be?

Fair point...

very good idea one that has been used before which unfortunatley didnt work how it was suppose too !

The Trust have helped, encouraged and requested the club identify area like this for the past 18 mths.

Hopefully some good news is just around the corner ! Until final decisions have been made I can not confirm any details. The Trust have no say in what ideas the club goes with, the final say is with the club ! They are the ones that have to impliment them which hope should be more workable soon.

Be assured all ideas are read and considered either on here on by email to the club.

Fair point...

It is. 3 games against London clubs who will mainly come to play for 0-0. Mind you, the Wigan poster was hardly for the 3 biggest games. But at least there will be some Premiership quality on display.

We don't have 3 even remotely glamourous home fixtures on the trot unfortunately. Or all season. :grin: But we could at least offer something similar - bums on seats will offset the fixed costs of running the club, and if there's a pie for them to buy, all the better.

I'd love the idea- but then again I'm quite likely to go to at least 2 of those games and I'm not a season ticket holder- its cheaper for me. However, I know they were only examplar games but I'm fairly certain one falls on FA cup 4th round weekend and it is feasible that either us or the opposition make it that far, plus one could quite easily be postponed due to bad weather- we nearly always get one a season. Going back to JSS's point- why market the games which are going to be naff for the viewing public, the club should have been marketing this Saturday's game like mad. I'm sure there are a few people who hate Leeds that much in the Manchester area that they are willing to spend £18 for a ticket to cheer a team they don't dislike on. It apparently costs £500k to maintain the stadium over a year- considering this is one of the few games where you couldn't fit the entire gate in the RRE maybe they should be getting off their :censored: arses and getting pro-active instead of moaning why more people don't turn up.

A blind mad monkey would struggle to market OAFC properly but all you would have to do is stick him in an Oldham shirt with come on down (or the like) on it and put him in the town centre and he would be doing more marketing than the club is. But then again you don't need to market a multi-million pound property deal that much do you?

I want to see a full stadium but it aint going to happen while I sit in the mainstand as a SST holder, paying £11 a throw for my daughter and nephew, while some home and away fans pay £3 for their kids (many others feel the same and some have stopped going). I have spoken to Alan Hardy re this and he invited me to to come and run the club if I can do better??? This is the mentality of why crowds are down because we are paying that tosser £100k p/a plus for :censored: like that. City, Blackburn, Wigan and tuddersfield all less than a fiver for kids. So for the AH brigade...................... he's a :censored:

Could work, especially if you threw in a pie :devilish:

Seriously, worth a go, but you'll probably get ST holders moaning they're losing out then.

Do me a favour. Most ST holders miss games and buy a ST cos it's in their blood. Seems you just want to moan about something and anything. Give me strength. Most ST holders dispair at the crowds currently and would give up 95% of games to a tenner in to see 7500 there.

Do me a favour. Most ST holders miss games and buy a ST cos it's in their blood. Seems you just want to moan about something and anything. Give me strength. Most ST holders dispair at the crowds currently and would give up 95% of games to a tenner in to see 7500 there.

Amen, the club's more important to me than a few quid and i'm sure most other ST holders feel the same. If we run this sort of promotion a couple of times a season and gates increase for the rest of the games as a result, it's well worth it. There is always the chance that we don't gain any fans from it, but we don't really lose anything for trying, speculate to accumulate......

Edited by LeylandLatic

I think you will be surprised, I have certainly seen moaning on here in the past with similar initiatives! Sad but true.

We would only need an 25 extra customers to make the advert pay for itself....

Not so simples really.

OK 25 x £30 = £750. That seems simple enough. Presumably this business case involves some sort of system to prevent anyone who would otherwise have attended as a "pay on the day" at £20 from taking the offer? :huh:

A more accurate business case would have to include the loss of the revenue from the usual "pay on the day" gate.

Let's say we have 3000 STs.

Add on 1500 for pay on the day attenders.

Assume they all buy in advance at £18.

Pay on the day revenue would be £18 x 1500 = £27000.

Add on the cost of the advert at £750

Total revenue needed to break even = £27750.

Number of pay on the days would have to be 2775, pushing the gate up to 5775.

0/10 for budget calculation. Fail.

If you think it's a good idea, tell the club you'll underwrite any losses, 'cos the club have tried £10 games before and iirc it didn't make that much difference. (they did a couple of pre-xmas games).

Another thing, now is the time to be promoting the half-season season tickets- I had one of these a couple of years ago when I realised I was going to be availible to see more games and it was very good. Its ideal for those fans who maybe couldn't have afforded the £350 quid in the summer and also pretty good for xmas presents. I'm not saying make them considerably cheaper than season tickets but what I am saying is market them even if that just means buying some advertising space along the top of Rochdale Road.

Discounting a handful of games a season should be part of an overall marketing straegy. But only a small part.

The Club needs something that is strategically thought through and, most importantly, sustained. The returns may not be instant, and probably won't be cost efficient in the short term. But longer term

- posters and "A" boards in key locations (Broadway, top of Sheepfoot Lane)

- newspaper advertising (£2 off an adult ticket and a free child ticket with this coupon type voucher)

- email campaigns (do the club even collect email addresses when selling a ticket?)

- use of sites like Facebook, Twitter, Hot UK Deals (which mentions Latics v Leeds being free on t'internet) etc

- door to door leafleting (e.g. 1,000 households a week - local paper shops will deliver them cheap!)

- targeted mailing (specifically the lapsed season ticket holders, promoting our new 10 match ticket)

- targeted outbound calling (half season tickets, especially to the long term lapsed - e.g. half the start of season price + one free game)

- targeted direct mail (half season tickets again)

- initiatives (like the free shrts for 7 year olds) targeted at different age groups of kids.

- free 10 pin bowling at Sandbrook Park when you buy tickets for two matches (voucher only redeemable on a Thursday night when Latics don't play!)

- free car park space for 1 game if you buy tickets for 2 matches together - might encourage more car park use.

The discounting doesn't need to be massive, but it does need to be targeted correctly. This will take a bit of time, trial and error to better identify the demographics of each potential customer, but can be done.

Then come some key bits once people arrive at the gound.

- PA system works

- availability of food and hot drinks

- seats are clean

- toilets are clean

- half time entertainment of some sort

- mad mascot in place

- Dave Penney needs to deliver the product on the pitch (I loved the guts shown against MK Dons, I hated the lacklustre performance after going a goal down to Hudds)

Some of these ideas happen, but most don't. Most of those that do happen aren't sustained. Without sustained action on the marketing side the only way the club will grow its fan base is by winning more games, specifically home games.

MESSAGE TO TTA:

You will get more money when you come to sell Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd if it is getting bigger crowds at the time of sale than it is getting now. A successful and sustained marketing venture will grow your fan base. Cost now - yes. But reward for you later.

Not so simples really.

OK 25 x £30 = £750. That seems simple enough. Presumably this business case involves some sort of system to prevent anyone who would otherwise have attended as a "pay on the day" at £20 from taking the offer? :huh:

A more accurate business case would have to include the loss of the revenue from the usual "pay on the day" gate.

Let's say we have 3000 STs.

Add on 1500 for pay on the day attenders.

Assume they all buy in advance at £18.

Pay on the day revenue would be £18 x 1500 = £27000.

Add on the cost of the advert at £750

Total revenue needed to break even = £27750.

Number of pay on the days would have to be 2775, pushing the gate up to 5775.

0/10 for budget calculation. Fail.

If you think it's a good idea, tell the club you'll underwrite any losses, 'cos the club have tried £10 games before and iirc it didn't make that much difference. (they did a couple of pre-xmas games).

Congratulations for being as short sighted as the club. The aim of these type of promotions is to boost the crowd long term. Its is also an attempt at reversing the decline of the pay on the day crowd which is clearly dropping. You might not of noticed but the 1500 pay on the day customer you talk about is flying downwards. Look at the Yeovil and Mk Dons attendances.

Oh and cheers for the arrogant tone as well I was only trying to help. Its one thing to think it is not a great idea but quite another to be a arse about it.

I reckon you could get reasonable uptake from the offer specially targeting the January period where I expect the pay on the day to really drop.

Edited by oafc0000

Congratulations for being as short sighted as the club. The aim of these type of promotions is to boost the crowd long term. Its is also an attempt at reversing the decline of the pay on the day crowd which is clearly dropping. You might not of noticed but the 1500 pay on the day customer you talk about is flying downwards. Look at the Yeovil and Mk Dons attendances.

Oh and cheers for the arrogant tone as well I was only trying to help. Its one thing to think it is not a great idea but quite another to be a arse about it.

I reckon you could get reasonable uptake from the offer specially targeting the January period where I expect the pay on the day to really drop.

Erm, no, you said it would be paid for by 25 fans. It clearly wouldn't - more like 2725 - It's not me being short sighted, it's just a clear, rational, business oriented assesment of what you came up with and your justification for it. If that's beyond you, it's not my problem.

And don't be such a big girl's blouse - arrogant tone - it's just a bit of humour. You're clearly just bitter, probably because you can see that it was flawed but you wish you'd forseen it. You could probably help the club more by actually turning up to support the team.

Edited by real