• Paul Warne
    • Gary McDonald
    • Sean Gregan
    • Chris Taylor
    • Chris Porter
    • Andy Liddell
    • Neal Eardley

Guest sheridans_world

So the official site are having the votes emailed in (or something similar)

Lets have early indications of who you think should be player of the season.

14 players have made the 20 appearances needed to be nominated.

Personally i chose Taylor because of the progress he has made during the season.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close call with Taylor but for me Warney the lad defends from the front and has made so many goals with his tenacity - whether it be for himself or others he never gives up and always gives the proverbial 110%

Guest sheridans_world

I agree Ricardo but Taylor is a player for the future who can already play!

Warne has been good but he has missed two one on ones in the last two games!

His work rate is astounding and i am a big Warne fan but i dont think he has been the best player on the pitch at times.

Warney for me....was gash last year but this year his work rate is immense. He helps tire defenders and yes he may have missed 2 one on ones etc but that isnt enough to say he shouldnt win it.....alot of ports goals are down to him IMO. Hes chipped in with afew goals this year aswell to be fair to him.

Warney for me....was gash last year but this year his work rate is immense. He helps tire defenders and yes he may have missed 2 one on ones etc but that isnt enough to say he shouldnt win it.....alot of ports goals are down to him IMO. Hes chipped in with afew goals this year aswell to be fair to him.

Warney for me, too. Although, I definitely didn't think he was 'gash' last season.

surely Porter? we wouldnt be anywhere near the playoffs without his goals!!

I don't hold it against him but i think he won't get it due to him not commiting for next season. 20 goals is a class return for someone who has missed a fair amount of games. People may say most of his goals were down to Warne but you need quality to bag the goals.

Guest sheridans_world

Without Porter we could have had a striker on the pitch every game this season, we have created enough chances for scoring, a different striker maybe could have got more.

How many has Porter made on his own? and how many are scuffs and lucky touches because the team made the goals???

Dont get me wrong i dont want Porter to go but it is worth thinking about.

Wellens - we would be knowhere near the play-offs without him.

Easily the most creative player in the team, works hard and a real 100% performer.

If he doesn't play we are always struggling, as was proved when he was suspended.

Edited by Hometownclub

Without Porter we could have had a striker on the pitch every game this season, we have created enough chances for scoring, a different striker maybe could have got more.

How many has Porter made on his own? and how many are scuffs and lucky touches because the team made the goals???

Dont get me wrong i dont want Porter to go but it is worth thinking about.

I think that is rubbish to be fair. Only 3 players have scored more goals in the league in all 4 divisions and i would put money on him playing a damm sight less games.

Would Malongo have scored 20 if he stayed? Would Warne have bagged all the chances Porter has put away? Chris Hall could play 5 full seasons in Man Utds side and not bag 20 goals

Guest sheridans_world

You see i didnt give any names, who knows who we could have had in during the summer if we didnt have Porter?

Who says that there had to be one person to make up for Porters goals?!

Wellens. Wellens. Wellens. Wellens. A million times Wellens.

Not one player that I've seen whilst watching Oldham is more influential than he is.

When he gets the ball, 9 times out of 10 something will come of it.

When he plays, and plays well, we win.

When he doesn't play, we don't win.

And for that reason, and that reason alone, he is my player of the season.

(p.s. Would Billy Sharp have scored just 20 with the amount of chances Porter has had? Think about it.)

Keep the Faith

Guest sheridans_world
(p.s. Would Billy Sharp have scored just 20 with the amount of chances Porter has had? Think about it.)

He would be knocking on 40

Ah my good frind SW - good to see your cynical side has not lessened!!!!

Am the biggest Wellens fan in the world, without him latics would be nowhere - he creates everything for us.... Without Porter we would not be where we are, he has scored many a crucial goal, but missed as many too, and i'm sure many strikers would have loved the service he has had this season, Taylor is the most exciting player we have - future latics captain.....

BUT....

There is only 1 player of the season - Warney... he is the heart and soul of the team, without him there would not be as much space for porter, as many options for Taylor, or angles for Wellens, and his pressure up front means all these other players have the ball a lot more... he drives the team - and has given his all for the team every game... Player of the season is the least he deserves.... he is now playing up with stitch in my all time latics 11!!!!

Guest sheridans_world

Now i am a big Warney fan as you know BFL and he pours his heart and soul into everything constantly giving 110% BUT he has his flaws, as said he has missed several one on ones latley, he should be putting them away in the position he is being played in. Now if he was playing right wing all season with someone else up front to partner Porter i might say differently but the job of a striker is to get goals. He dont get that many.

I think the bloke is a huge asset to the team, first on the team sheet, but i think he would work better as a right or left winger, he doesnt score enough goals for the job he has been given.

With Wellens, its this

'if Wellens plays well, Oldham do, if he doesnt, Oldham dont'

i dont think its true, Wellens is a class act, no arguement but he isnt Mr Oldham Athletic. He isnt needed to keep the engine oiled. We have won games with Wellens off the pitch and with Wellens not playing well.

Fair enough - but you seem to be basing this on the fact warney does not score enough goals...

How many team in the league have a second striker that has scored as many goals as warney??? off the top of my head... maybe only crewe?? Bristol City??? But neither have the effort warne puts in...

Surely warne & Porter must be the most prolific strikeforce in the league?? (agian with crewe thrown in as possibles... dont think beckford has scored that many for Scunny...)

i voted for chris taylor ,even thou i have not seen him play(besides youtupe) ,but from what i have read and other fans ,i think he put 110% effort in all the games he played ,and lets hope next season he will be our top goal scorer in the championship ,and we might be be in the top flight with him ..

It has to be the Warne-myster for the Groves-myster.

He has come on leaps and bounds this season and yes, some may call his finishing, but then again his finishing has also come on leaps and bounds compared to last season.

If he continues to improve his game season on season, next term he will be the new Billy Sharp, (or a pretty good Luke Varney at least!!)

Agree with all shout-outs for Wellens, pure class that bloke, also Haining has been a rock and Gregan, ohhhhh Seaney-boy if only Leeds would have let you come sooner, but then again the Stam/Haining partnership looked superb until Stefan took a knock at Cheltenham (had to mention Stam cos my wife would leave me for him at a mintes notice - come to think of it, has anyone got Stefans number?????) :naughty::naughty::naughty: