• Paul Edwards
    • Paul Warne
    • Gary McDonald
    • Sean Gregan
    • Chris Taylor
    • Chris Porter
    • Andy Liddell
    • Neal Eardley

Warney by an absolute country mile, the only one that may have pushed him was gregan if he had come sooner , with wellens in third place

big hats off to porter, for the most improved player and eardley up until late has come on leaps and bounds

and by the way alangroves perm no one else would have you,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wellens. Wellens. Wellens. Wellens. A million times Wellens.

Not one player that I've seen whilst watching Oldham is more influential than he is.

When he gets the ball, 9 times out of 10 something will come of it.

When he plays, and plays well, we win.

When he doesn't play, we don't win.

And for that reason, and that reason alone, he is my player of the season.

(p.s. Would Billy Sharp have scored just 20 with the amount of chances Porter has had? Think about it.)

Keep the Faith

Sharp's scoring record is a bit of a freak IMO. Scunny are a tight, disciplined and evil unit - they soak up buckets of pressure and hit on the break. Porter has shown fantastic awareness to get into position for his so-called tap-ins and scuffs, he has scored with his head, left foot, right foot, arse and shin. He's done it with defences pushed back and waiting, not on the the break with as good a player as Keogh waiting to feed him whilst defenders sprint back to cover. Have we forgotten that everyone else also started to score for us when Porter got into the team?

It's Warney for me so far - I just can't get how people don't see Porter as one of the stars of our season.

Wellens is a class act, no arguement but he isnt Mr Oldham Athletic. He isnt needed to keep the engine oiled. We have won games with Wellens off the pitch and with Wellens not playing well.

Perhaps a bit of a sweeping generalisation earlier on my part but I do feel that when Wellens is missing, we aren't anything like the same team. The players we have to create things in the absence of Wellens are just Rocastle and McDonald. Taking nothing away from them, but they just aren't the right type of players to fill the gap Wellens leaves in the team.

Any team in the top six has a striker who could, with our team around him, have scored 20+ goals this season.

Credit to Chris Porter for taking those chances, but scoring less than he should have done does not get him my vote. And the fact he won't consider a new contract. Doesn't show much loyalty to the club which took him from obscurity to a good chance of Championship football.

Warne's work-rate is incredible, and never ending, but I just don't get as much pleasure from seeing him chase down a 'lost cause' as I do from seeing one of Richie's 60-yard cross field passes straight to a man's feet.

And for that, he gets my vote. :wink:

Keep the Faith

I agree Seasidelatic, If you look at the current Latics team I dont think anybody would be missed more or be harder to replace than Richie Wellens.

I am a big fan of Warney and I think Porter has improved out of all recognition this season, Chris Taylor looks a great prospect for the future, but Wellens is the only player I could vote for as player of the season for his overall contribution in every match, he makes us tick and is at the centre of everything we do, there is nobody in the squad who could come close to replacing him if he is injured or suspended.

Guest sheridans_world

Warney is a great player, see earlier in post for reasons.

I agree that Wellens is a class-act, Latics are a different team without him and he would be possibly the hardest player in the squad to replace.

One other person that i dont think has had a case made for him yet is Pogs. He has jumped back up to the form he was on in the playoff season a few years ago, playing well, looking like he wants to play and making some fantastic saves. I always think that goalkeepers are not praised enough and while there have been a few goals go in of late from goal-keeping errors, prior to mid-march he was arguably in the top two best keepers in this league.

I personally Rate Joe Murphy as the best, while he is a cocky barstool he has done very very well in the Scunthorpe goal and i will be suprised if they keep him next season.

But next Saturday give a shout out to Pogs. He Deserves it!

Personally I vote for Pogs, he has been rock steady this season and some of his saves have been magnificent. Proper top draw.

I know he makes one or two mistakes and those usually unnecessary shots at goals or worse conceding goals (which all keepers do), but the guy is a legend and has stopped 3 pts being turned into 1, and 1 into 0 for latics. Previous seasons majority of people said that all he needs is to have a consistant back 4 and he is on the best keepers in this division, I reckon Pogs could easily make the step up into the Championship. Brave statement!

am going for warney

he might have missed some chances but to be fair i think a lot of the team has at some point, strikers or not

his work rate is immense, which you can't say for some other members of the team - i think sometimes a team needs someone with warney's work rate just to keep them going, and thats why i'm gonna vote for him :)

taylor is also up there but i think he'll get young player of the season

Warne's work-rate is incredible, and never ending, but I just don't get as much pleasure from seeing him chase down a 'lost cause' as I do from seeing one of Richie's 60-yard cross field passes straight to a man's feet.

Doubtlessly in my mind, Wellens ability wise, is head and shoulders over most in this division, never mind our squad.

With that ability though comes the obvious fact that he knows he is the best player at the club, and for me he tries to run the game on his own sometimes, too many Hollywood balls that don't come off, especially of late. Keep it simple lad.

He has had some fabulous games this season, but for me nothing anywhere near approaching the half hour he put in at Valley Parade last season. He was of course injured and lacking mobility. So he lifted his head quickly and was getting rid of the ball without a second thought, always finding a blue shirt but the game flowed through him. At the moment he dwells a little too much for me.

So whilst one in ten of Richies sixty yard Hollywood balls may find a Latics player, surely the most admirable thing that we have had this season is effort from all and sundry, especially after last seasons tawdry offerings from more experienced players.

Warne epitomises that for me and he will certainly get my vote. I would rather watch him chase a dozen lost causes for 30 yards a time than aimless pings of the ball across field. Added to that, for someone who has essetially been a midfield or utility player, a career best return for goals scored.

Good on ya Warney!

Most improved player, Porter.

Most infuriating, Chris Taylor. Go outside and beat the first man ffs!

KtF,

Derek.

Guest sheridans_world
I wonder who's going to win this one. It's too close to call!

:blink:

I suppose that the real race is for second and third...

For me its got to be Wellens or Warney Without them we are nothing just like chelsea without John Terry

Wellens = his Influence on the pitch just makes every one want to give him the ball = a Legend In Waiting

and

Warney = If we had 11 warneys we would of been up weeks ago

its hard to decide but cant wait to see who it is

Good Luck I Say

KTF

• 2 weeks later...
Well I voted Chris Ha........ nah Warne, has to be.

Would've been Stam if the voting was only up until November, or Gregan if voting stopped at the end January. But for sheer effort, desire and consistency it has to be Paul Warne, he's due a goal too and I've a feeling he bag a crucial one in the next two games...............LEGEND!