Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#22 - Wycombe Wanderers

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This Saturday, Latics face the trip down south to face Wycombe Wanderers. As such, we found some Chairboys to answer a selection of questions...

1) So Gary Waddock has been in charge since October , what is the fans general opinion of him , are the fans happy with him so far? Was the club correct to sack Taylor?

- Think he's done ok, no more, no less. Hard to judge a manager with none of his own players, but I’m at least hopeful the we'll stay up now. I think we were wrong to sack Taylor, but hopefully I’ll be proved wrong.

- Waddock has appeased the fans with his attacking, pass & move philosophy. It is debatable whether it was correct to sack Peter Taylor after he had led us to our first promotion in 15 years... we got off to a poor start but surely he deserved more time than the first ten games of the season after a promotion season. Very pleased thus far with the new appointment generally though. Definitely in with a chance of maintaining our league 1 status.

- Fans very happy with him, like his style of football. Agree with Taylor sacking, his football was boring and we never looked like scoring, yet alone winning and he didn't have the nerve to drop Duberry.

- Glad we sacked Taylor over rated manager! Did well getting us up but struggled with League One

2) Did Wycombe sign any players in the transfer/loan windows? If so how have the new signings settled? have the performed?

- Scott Davies done well , And super Kevin Betsy.

- We have quite a few on loan, Akinde has just extended his loan from Bristol City for another month. He hasn't quite shown the form he found for us in League Two where he helped us over the promotion line but could be important from now as his fitness & match sharpness improves. Scott Davies has also been an inspired loan signing from Reading, contributing goals from midfield in addition to his energy, enthusiasm and range of passing.

- Yes, have Scott Davies, a very talented centre midfielder from Reading and John Akinde, a powerhouse of a striker from Bristol City both in on loan. Kevin Betsy too who we look to sign permanently in January, he is a very pacey winger.

- Agree with the above I’m a big fan of Kevin Betsy.

3) You got promoted on the last day of the season, did the fans feel it was just rewards? Also how do you think Wycombe re-adjusted to League One again?

- I felt the day itself, and the way we were promoted, was a massive anti climax. It felt like we just fell over the line after a great start. It was a weird day. Then the summer ruined any vestage of hope of excitement most fans had.

- The form in the first half of the season was excellent and it looked on that basis as though we could canter to the title. We always seem to come off the rails in the second half of the season though and were very lucky to scrape through to promotion - Bury only 1 goal away from consigning us to a play-off place.

- For the 1st half of last season we deserved promotion, on the 2nd half we didn't. Teams sussed us out by half way and Taylor's inability to make a change almost cost us. As for League One I think we're starting to settle in and re-adjust.

- Overall we deserved to go up, I would have been gutted to miss out on it after working so hard.

4) Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing?

- No.

- Leeds away. Personally I am looking forward to revenge at Edgeley Park where Stockport pipped us two years ago in a play-off semi final despite being dominated in the second half. Oh how the mighty fall... Also love visiting new grounds so looking forward to Yeovil on Boxing Day, plus our massive derby with Colchester and a cold Tuesday night up in Tranmere in April! Loyal fans only there...

- Looked forward to the Leeds game earlier in the season and am now in January. Norwich again should be good and most of all Colchester away.

- I love playing tough teams can’t wait to play Leeds.

5) What tactics have you been playing this season? Have they differed home and away? Are they likely to change for the visit of Oldham

- Attractive and try to play football

- The tactics under Waddock are a pass-and-move attacking philosophy, a much more attractive style to what we were subjected to under Taylor in truth.

- Under Taylor was usually a 4-5-1 but Waddock has made us more attacking and a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 is most likely now.

- Attack attack then get caught.

6) Wycombe currently find themselves in 22nd place with 17 points 7 points behind Oldham, is this classed as a must win game for you?

- I was thinking the last time we played Oldham this morning, a Tyson brace and a late Falcon toe poke gave us our first away win in 14 months. I don't think I’ve ever celebrated an essentially meaningless goal so much in my life. It seems to belong to a different world now. I want us to win every game, but if we do win Saturday, I doubt I’ll be as elated as i was that day. Funny thing football.

- Very important game but there is a long way to go so not a ''six pointer'' or a ''must win'', yet this and the other Christmas fixtures could be crucial to shaping our fate this season.

- Yes, January for us seems impossible, we have three so called easy games before the turn of the year so a home game against a team around us, we must win.

- It will be 4 points behind you guys after Saturday.

7) Who is your team’s best player? Any dark horses for Oldham fans to watch out for?

- The Doc. Matty Phillips.

- Scott Shearer has done well in goal, Luke Oliver has greatly improved in defence, Tommy Doherty is our playmaker in midfield alongside the superb Davies but if Jon-Paul Pittman starts he will cause plenty of problems for your defence. Drop Harrold and start him GW!

- Our loanees Scott Davies, John Akinde and Kevin Betsy are very good. In defence watch out for the very tall, ever improving centre back of Luke Oliver.

- Luke Oliver very good player.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Na Leeds running away.

- Leeds but maybe Charlton.

- Leeds, Charlton and Huddersfield for automatic promotion. Other place still up for grabs, I wouldn't even rule out Southampton sneaking a playoff place with a long unbeaten run in the second half of the season, aided by Lambert's goalscoring.

- Leeds. Charlton and Norwich have a chance but my money is on Leeds all the way.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Better than us.

- Oldham will probably be flirting with relegation for much of the season but I think they will narrowly survive (much like Wycombe). Mind you I haven't seen you except goal highlights so it isn't really for me to say!

- I think you'll continue to struggle, you don't seem to score enough and no offence I see you as one of the 4 teams I hope to finish below us.

- Continue to do as you are and you will be down here with the rest of us!

10) And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- 1-1.

- 3-0 WWFC.

- On Saturday my money is on a 2-0 win with Davies and Akinde scoring. Pawel Abbott may get one for you though however.

- 3-2 to us :D .

Many thanks to those Wycombe fans who answered our questions. They seem confident they can beat Oldham and score a few goals in the process. But can Oldham get another much needed 3 points and build on last week's win against Exeter?...