Aintree Festival Day 2

Day 2 and if we got a few winners yesterday, then it looks much more tricky today.

2.00 Mildmay Chase

Aces Four ran a great race at Cheltenham when finishing fourth to Denman in the Royal and Sun Alliance Chase. He's the one for me here.

2.35 Sefton Hurdle

I'll leave Wichita Lineman to Jimi in this one and I'll stick with Silverburn at a bigger price.

3.10 Melling Chase

The race of the day. Will Well Chief stand up? Can Taranis repeat his fantastic Cheltenham success? Class is permanent for me and Well Chief has to be the call.

3.45 Topham Chase

Back to the big Grand National fences and this looks impossible. 30 runners most of whom have a chance. I tipped Irish Raptor at Cheltenham and he front-ran well before falling. I'll give him another chance.

4.20 Top Novices Hurdle

Osana faded badly in The County Hurdle and for me, Ouninpohja has run out of chances. Tyson should find this course more to its liking and I'll take him to knock the rest of these out.

4.55 Betfair Chase

Very difficult. Lankawi has form though and is my selection

5.30 Mares only NH Flat

Hate bumpers but I have followed the progress of Alan Swinbank's Turbo Linn. She is very progressive and while this is much more competitive, she carries my recommendation.

Good luck and once again, tomorrow is purely a watching day for me.

My nap...

2.35 Wichita Lineman

i'm off to aintree tomorrow,ladys day, cant wait.heres my pick.1st race standin obligation.2nd race wichita lineman.3rd race well chief. 4th race umbrella man. 5th race enforce. 6th race my nap reveillez. last race brook no argument.heres to a good day and a better night in scouseville.

Tough day again. I've only managed to look at the first few races in some detail. Nothing original I'm afraid.

2.00, gotta agree with Jeff on Aces Four. Denman was a particularly impressive winner at the Festival and it was Aces Four that really gave him a race until tiring into fourth. I think the price of around 11/4 is reasonably fair.

2.35 and clearly it has to be Wichita Lineman. A horse I've followed throughout the year and one ready to make the step up beyond what stablemate Black Jack Ketchum has achieved. This is merely a stepping stone. All things going to plan, look out for it in next year's World Hurdle.

3.10 and Well Chief owes a fair few punters something after Cheltenham and should deliver. Taranis will probably be the one to give him something to think about but don't rule out Monet's Garden, no matter how disappointing he was (when carrying my cash) at the Festival. All in all, it would be a large upset for Well Chief not to do the business.

The 3.45 is a massively difficult race to call. Irish Raptor, Hakim, Vodka Bleu all could do well. My preference is for Ground Ball. His third at the Festival to Andreas was decent enough, more so considering Bambi De L'Orme (who came fifth in that race) won today.

Will post any thoughts on the other three races tomorrow, if I get the chance.

First of all Well Done everybody for yesterday, between us I think we did very well.

Inspiral I concede to you the Black Jack Ketcham issue, he's a bridle horse.

He was cantering all over Mighty Man yesterday but when McCoy pushed the button the response was poor, and given that, I dont now think he would have won at Cheltenham in the World hurdle (never mind we live and learn).

More difficult today I think, my fancies for what they are worth are:-

Aces Four not very original I'm afraid but ran a cracker at Cheltenham and a repeat of that effort will suffice here.

Wichita Lineman again not very original but I've tried, and find him impossible to oppose, he's beaten most of these already over a variety of trips and ground, he usually hits a flat spot at some stage in a race but with the great McCoy up he usually gets the job done and I cannot oppose him for that reason.

Taranis I'm going to take a chance against hotpot favourite Well Chief here as I'm not sure the 2.5 mile trip is ideally what he wants or needs, he has never won beyond 2 miles 1 furlong and is bred by Night Shift who was a miler on the flat so the extra distance may find him out. In Taranis I have selected what I think is the most likely alternative.

I also think an interesting lay in the last would be Turbo Linn she carries a big penalty for a four year old. As undoubtedly talented as she is I will be surprised if there isn't something less exposed that can turn her over here at these weights.

Happy punting :)

Edited by Hometownclub

2.00 Ungaro 11-2 and, with 3 e/w places, I'd go for Killaghy Castle 15-2 e/w

2.35 Got to be Wichita Lineman, not sure I'd be sticking money on it though, even if I had any to bet, at 4-5

3.10 Monet's Garden 11-2 e/w - only two e/w places but I think he'll be the best challenger to Well Chief.

3.45 Irish Raptor 14-1 e/w and Shannon's Pride 66-1 e/w (There had to be one!)

4.20 Osana 4-1

4.55 Lankawi 14-1 e/w and Without a Doubt 25-1 e/w

5.30 Who knows?? I'll go for Theatre Girl 12-1 e/w

After a good start for the Forum, a real shocker in the second. I really thought that Wichita had that one in the bag and Chief Dan George came from another parish.

Carnage on Betfair. WL laid at 1.01 and CDG backed at 200! Thought it would have been bigger myself as it looked tailed off in fourth coming up the straight.

After a good start for the Forum, a real shocker in the second. I really thought that Wichita had that one in the bag and Chief Dan George came from another parish.

Carnage on Betfair. WL laid at 1.01 and CDG backed at 200! Thought it would have been bigger myself as it looked tailed off in fourth coming up the straight.

Fantastic finish, it's got to be said.

IC and WL just went too early.

Fantastic finish, it's got to be said.

IC and WL just went too early.

Quite a shock there, but at least it might mean Wichita isn't built up as a superhorse like BJK was.

Nothing more from me in the final few races, not had chance to look properly, so can't justify any choices.

Well done Stevie. Nice performance from Monet's Garden. Well Chief was a massive disappointment and emptied very quickly. 2.5 miles is too far perhaps?

I think Htc was advocating a lay of the odds-on Well Chief so congrats there too.

Cheers Insipral, I just could see absolutely no value in the horse at such a short price with what for me was a massive question mark over wether he'd stay or not, which he clearly didn't (his breeding more than hinted that he wouldn't stay).

Good call Stevie and HTC on the 3.10. Ground Ball places in the 3.45 to finish my day today.

Will be on with my thoughts for tomorrow in the morning, right now off on the beer, so I'll be posting with something of a hang over in the morning.