John Terry

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who should be captain then???

*all the below may not be true

james - bit rubbish but cant remember him doing anything bad and as mad as a bicycle

johnson - got done for stealing a toilet seat

cole - caught shagging about yeah right. Like his publicists didn't plant the, "Cashley likes shaggign birds," stories

terry - caught sgagging about

ferdinand - failed drugs test

lampard - filmed 3-some with team mates

gerrard -in court last year for assult

beckam - caught shagging about

rooney - caught shagging grannys

crouch - to ugly to be caught shagging about - you'd have thought he was high enough at 6 foot 7 without getting a whole lot higher perfecting his dance moves in Ibiza.

barry - done nowt wrong Plays for Man City

its a real dilemma for this good clean cut english team

although i think if there was world cup for shagging about.....

fair enough, wasnt he in the 3-some with lampard?

No, that was back in Lampard's West Ham days. IIRC correctly it was him and two or three of the black players they had at the time.

I reckon Joe Cole could be a candidate if he can regain his place. Jumping out of a window naked to avoid a further kicking off Keeley Hazell's boyfriend combines all of the crucial building blocks of a classic tabloid story. And anyone whose seen her home video will conclude that it was probably worth it.

No, that was back in Lampard's West Ham days. IIRC correctly it was him and two or three of the black players they had at the time.

I reckon Joe Cole could be a candidate if he can regain his place. Jumping out of a window naked to avoid a further kicking off Keeley Hazell's boyfriend combines all of the crucial building blocks of a classic tabloid story. And anyone whose seen her home video will conclude that it was probably worth it.

I think it was Rio Ferdinand (not much of a surprise that one) and Keiron Dyer (sp?). So aside from James and Barry (both of whom are certainly not favourites to start) (and Heskey but the way he's playing [or not] at the mo he might not be going) we have no-one who has no skeletons in their closet to be captain- says a lot about Premiership footballers I guess.

Oh and for the person (Beag) who read something in the observer- US sports stars not getting paid mega bucks- er what about the college prospects who make more money than anyone at Oldham on endorsments and "expenses" alone. Or how about LeBron James who is still in his early 20s but turned pro when only a teenager and was paid more money than the England players mentioned in his first year. (I'm not blaming you- the Observer should get its facts right, whoever wrote that should look at what some of the college kids do to get an extra 0 on their contract at the Combine scouting events and these ain't going to be household names) You pay people that sort of money when they barely have two brain cells to rub together and of course they are going to act up in the main and think they are above morals/the law.

John Terry - Public (The Sun's) Enemy No. 1 July 2010.....so predictable, as is all this :censored: about him being over-rated. Absolute bollocks. You don't play at the heart of one of the meanest defences in Europe for as long as he has if you're average....Mourinho, Ancelloti, Hiddink, Capello, Scolari, Eriksson - they know nowt eh ?

Anyone who knows anything about football can see he's a great leader, and an awesome defender...

John Terry - Public (The Sun's) Enemy No. 1 July 2010.....so predictable, as is all this :censored: about him being over-rated. Absolute bollocks. You don't play at the heart of one of the meanest defences in Europe for as long as he has if you're average....Mourinho, Ancelloti, Hiddink, Capello, Scolari, Eriksson - they know nowt eh ?

Anyone who knows anything about football can see he's a great leader, and an awesome defender...

He's not a rubbish player, but he is over-rated. Most of his Chelsea career he has had a tightly packed midfield sitting in front of him, frequently including Makelele, who despite being highly rated is I think one of the most under-rated players around. And Essien isn't a ba replacement. He's struggled frequently fo England without the same level of protection, he spent a couple of years standing on the keepers toes out of fear of being turned for pace.

He's not a rubbish player, but he is over-rated. Most of his Chelsea career he has had a tightly packed midfield sitting in front of him, frequently including Makelele, who despite being highly rated is I think one of the most under-rated players around. And Essien isn't a ba replacement. He's struggled frequently fo England without the same level of protection, he spent a couple of years standing on the keepers toes out of fear of being turned for pace.

Ha ha. That post was so predictable too....I just knew Makele and Essien would feature in the replies....surprised you didn't state how Carvalho carried him too....codswallop.

When has he 'struggled' for England ?

Edited by Yard Dog

Ha ha. That post was so predictable too....I just knew Makele and Essien would feature in the replies....surprised you didn't state how Carvalho carried him too....codswallop.

When has he 'struggled' for England ?

IMO he constantly plays far too deep for England, often resulting in goalkeepers getting the blame.

As for saying that he benefitted in having Makelele in front of him - erm, he did! Possibly the most valuable footballer to have in your side at his peak. But it's not just him or Essien, Mourinho put great value on protecting his defence to a far greater degree than Taggart or Wenger to name but two. Terry can win headers and block shots all day, but I'm not sure that's enough for a top level CB these days

He's a great leader and an awesome defender until the going gets tough, then he starts looking a bit nervous and/or becomes a cry baby. He also just looks so bloody awkward on the ball whilst his passing is distinctly average. I know he's a centre half, but still. And further to leeslover's comments about Makelele, he also had Peter Cech keeping goal behind him. He too was simply awesome back then....

That said, I must admit that I rarely see him play these days.

If we truly have ambitions of winning the World Cup and claiming to be the best national side in the world, then I can't help thinking our captain and first choice defender needs to be a bit more special than an English Richard Dunne.

That isn't a criticism of Dunne, by the way - best defender in the Prem this season by a mile. More a case that the Premiership is very different to international football.

What's worse...?

a. John Terry giving the EX of a colleague a bit of a go.

or

b. Ashley Cole putting countless lives at risk by driving at over 100mph down a motorway?

What Terry did is not excusable, in that he cheated on his family, but its not illegal and certainly has nothing to do with England or his position in the team, especially when put into the context of the shenanigans the others get up to.

This is all because he tried to prevent the story coming out. That's it. And if this costs us the World Cup (because if we're being honest there's not really an alternate for him is there?) then we really need to look at the power of the Media in sport in this country.

If we truly have ambitions of winning the World Cup and claiming to be the best national side in the world, then I can't help thinking our captain and first choice defender needs to be a bit more special than an English Richard Dunne.

That isn't a criticism of Dunne, by the way - best defender in the Prem this season by a mile. More a case that the Premiership is very different to international football.

Good comments.

Terry's role within the Chelsea team has been to provide some English 'determination and leadership' in amongst their host of foreign superstars. It's an invaluable role, and being Chelsea to the bone he's ideal for it, and he's a good enough footballer, but as a player alone he's way short of the calibre of many of his team mates. He ousted Sol Campbell from the England team far too soon in my opinion.

Remember we couldn't even qualify for the Euro's under his captaincy. Pretty much the entire squad is over-rated however, in my opinion.

What's worse...?

a. John Terry giving the EX of a colleague a bit of a go.

or

b. Ashley Cole putting countless lives at risk by driving at over 100mph down a motorway?

What Terry did is not excusable, in that he cheated on his family, but its not illegal and certainly has nothing to do with England or his position in the team, especially when put into the context of the shenanigans the others get up to.

This is all because he tried to prevent the story coming out. That's it. And if this costs us the World Cup (because if we're being honest there's not really an alternate for him is there?) then we really need to look at the power of the Media in sport in this country.

Would you rather work with someone who has been done for speeding or someone who could barely wait for your mattress to go cold before jumping aboard (if he actually waited at all) and whilst you were maybe still hoping to work it out? Oh, and he’s one of your best mates? Not much of a choice for me.

One thing I am sure of is, extreme bad luck aside, this England team under Capello will get as far in the competition as its collective ability deserves. i.e. if we make the semis that's as far as we would have got under any manager. If we don't win it, that will be because the squad isn't good enough - it certainly won't be Capello's fault.

(And frankly our only chance of winning it is Wayne Rooney lasting the remainder of the season uninjured and playing at his current level throughout the competition.)

...as a player alone he's way short of the calibre of many of his team mates.

I'd say he's over-rated in some quarters, as is Rio, but the question is who else replaces him at the back (not as Captain, which to me has become more of a token role than a vital one)?

Can you see Phil Jakelka (sp?) and Wes Brown leading us to a World Cup? I sure as hell can't!

I could have seen Phil Jagielka pushing for a place if he'd played a full season, but with the injury he's had I very much doubt he'll be on the plane. The problem then is looking at players who've hardly featured under Capello so far - Gary Cahill for example.

I'd say he's over-rated in some quarters, as is Rio, but the question is who else replaces him at the back (not as Captain, which to me has become more of a token role than a vital one)?

Can you see Phil Jakelka (sp?) and Wes Brown leading us to a World Cup? I sure as hell can't!

Seeing as I hardly take any interest in the England team or the Premiership, I don't know who could replace him. I suppose he's the best of an average bunch, much like a large portion of our squad.