what's your job?

boboafc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work as a Systems Developer, which is a generic term for someone who punches code into the computer all day, working with people who either seemingly have no skills beyond this, or people who have worked in the trade for 30 years yet act like they've never seen a computer before.

Scarily enough the system we're trying (and failing) to develop is one that will administrate everybody's pension. Reason #53272 why emigrating is a brilliant idea.

It's not a particularly great job, as you may have guessed by now. :angry: I'm leaving the company in May and moving to a different one doing similar work.

My job title is IT Manager (I work for a finance/loan brokering company). My job basically entails making sure PCs, Servers, Firewall, Phone system, Printers, Software, etc are all working. Alongside this, I am constantly bombarded with Projects that I always fall behind on due to the nature of IT systems failing at the most inopportune moments.

Money isn't great, but it's local, friendly, flexible, and I do have the respect of the Directors. It also granted me the opportunity to meet the lovely niece of our own InspectorMorose, a work colleague who I now feel proud to call my girlfriend.

Edited by TafkaN

Money isn't great, but it's local, friendly, flexible, and I do have the respect of the Directors. It also granted me the opportunity to meet the lovely niece of our own InspectorMorose, a work colleague who I now feel proud to call my girlfriend.

Money isn't great,if that's a cheap attempt to get my half to pay for any future nuptuals you can feck right off John :wink:

I'm puzzled - you are proud to call Inspector your girlfriend, and he's your work colleague - so where does his niece come into it? :blink::wub:

Thanks for that. Nobody likes a smartarse. Or a pedant. :D

Edited by TafkaN

Read like that to me LL ,but hey we'll let him off she's cast her spell and that's that :grin:

Thinkin' of starting to call her Lorelei :wink:

So you're saying all I can look forward to is being lured to my doom in a shipwreck? That's cheered me up no end.

She is bloody lovely though, and you can tell her I said that :D .....again.

So you're saying all I can look forward to is being lured to my doom in a shipwreck? That's cheered me up no end.

She is bloody lovely though, and you can tell her I said that :D .....again.

I think what IM meant was that you would be lured to the only place that would be happy to allow a wedding with all these odd goings on. I think he's resigned to having to chip in and he knows a cheap venue in Burnley :wink:

I think what IM meant was that you would be lured to the only place that would be happy to allow a wedding with all these odd goings on. I think he's resigned to having to chip in and he knows a cheap venue in Burnley :wink:

I'm going to get my coat and leave this thread behind.... :wink:

im not Swiss Toni, as Bob likes to think!!

I work for a Contract Hire & Leasing company in Bradford, i sell cars and vans on extremely cheap monthly payments!!!

Business or Personal, big or little cars, fast or slow!

My job role with British Gas was made redundant two weeks ago. Some lucky sod in India will be doing my back office role now. Damn the SAP product and its cleverness. Booooo! Easiest job (and best paid) I've ever done. I received my redundancy cash last Friday so now I'm sat on my backside all day applying for jobs.

I thought being like this would be fun. It's not. Anyone got any jobs? :grin:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

i work for network rail as a sgnalman based at newmills now and loving it !

beats working for aliving 6-8 trains an hour no boss breathing down my neck free to drink tea listen to tms and read cheap trashy thrillers .fantastic views of the peak district all for £25.000 a year happy oh yes i am .

royton blue if your struggling have you thought about coming on the railway networkrail virgin and norternrail are always recruiting have a look on there web sites good money reasonable hours fantastic pensions plus good travel perks worth a look ?

i work for network rail as a sgnalman based at newmills now and loving it !

beats working for aliving 6-8 trains an hour no boss breathing down my neck free to drink tea listen to tms and read cheap trashy thrillers .fantastic views of the peak district all for £25.000 a year happy oh yes i am .

so much for network rail ,, read on

Workers' short-cut 'caused train crash'

By Barrie Clement, Transport Editor

Published: 28 February 2007

Track workers may have deliberately dismantled the points which caused the rail crash in Cumbria last Friday.

Staff working on the line - possibly for a private contractor - may have removed vital components as a short cut to complete the work quickly, according to industry sources. At least 200 trains carrying tens of thousands of passengers passed over the faulty points before the accident in which a Virgin Pendolino train left the track, killing an elderly woman and seriously injuring five other people.

Network Rail confirmed that video footage taken by special engineering equipment found that a critical piece of equipment, which stabilises the points, was missing from the crossover two days before the accident. The film showed that the front stretcher bar, which keeps the rails apart, was missing from the points last Wednesday.

A spokesman for the infrastructure company however said that, as a matter of routine, the video footage was not inspected until after the crash.

The industry sources argued that workers may have taken the points apart in order to switch a vehicle from one track to another. Under normal circumstances the special crossover can only be operated by line-side personnel if it has been "released" by a signaller. The points are only used for engineering work and during emergencies.

The industry insider said the evidence pointed to maintenance staff taking the points apart so that they could switch a vehicle from one track to another without the involvement or authorisation of the signaller. Clearly the staff then failed to reassemble the equipment.

Investigators are attempting to find out which engineering vehicles were on the track since 15 February when the points were last used officially

I also help to keep Tram-Driver busy as I live in Sale, but have to get to Manc/Oldham most days... speaking of which, TD... what will you be doing in the summer when they shut the Alty-Bury line!?

not a lot hopefully!!!

getting my tan built up ready for my cruise in the carribean.... oh how much am i hoping for the hotest summer on record........

that and a tram drivers jolly to dublin........ 1p flights are ace!!!!

Edited by thetramdriver