DDay for Pompey

What is everyones thoughts of this?

I feel for the fans of the club, having been there before with Latics, and would not wish any club to go bust, but I sincerely hope they throw the book at them and that they are the first Prem club to go into administration.

How many times have they 'rescheduled' debt repayments and not paid their staff on time. How would we feel if we were not paid on time, or we sold a product or service to someone else and they failed to pay for that product or service within the agreed payment plan? The way they have got away with living beyond their means for so long is a kick in the b******s for every club that makes the effort to pay their staff and bills on time by operating within their means.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is everyones thoughts of this?

I feel for the fans of the club, having been there before with Latics, and would not wish any club to go bust, but I sincerely hope they throw the book at them and that they are the first Prem club to go into administration.

How many times have they 'rescheduled' debt repayments and not paid their staff on time. How would we feel if we were not paid on time, or we sold a product or service to someone else and they failed to pay for that product or service within the agreed payment plan? The way they have got away with living beyond their means for so long is a kick in the b******s for every club that makes the effort to pay their staff and bills on time by operating within their means.

I’m a little mixed, my mother is from Pompey and all her side of the family are Pompey fans through and through. I think at one point on of my cousins had not missed a game in about 7 years and that included pre-season tours in Hong Kong (he’s also good mates with that idiot bell ringer as well). For their sake I don’t want them to go out of business, but something needs to be done. Going back to my cousin, he has said to me on a few occasions that he misses some of the “good honest football” you get outside of the Premiership, he hates “fair-weather fans” who have turned up recently and misses “proper grounds”. Perhaps if they get relegated to the conference, every cloud will have a silver lining.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/8505321.stm

Things just taken a turn for the worst

It seems to be the tougher line that the Revenue are taking that is bringing it to a head recently, they aren’t falling for the old trick so easily (cf Leeds). Although they are the last creditor I would like to see get something out of any rescue package (whilst small local businesses and so on are cut out of it) it really is about time that clubs realised that it’s not on to overspend and expect to just start off again with your debts written away.

Avram Grant (poor, deluded soul) reckons that the Revenue should look kindly on this case because the club is about the fans etc. Dear me. The Revenue doesn't look kindly on anything. They'd have the sweat off a racehorse is they thought they were owed it.

I don't really believe in the blame game, except of course I do. I blame the FA - bunch of old, empty committee suits and bureaucrats. Whatever happened to that fit and proper person test? The Portsmouth fans (Mrs. Tulsehill's dad is one) and the Cardiff fans (whom I don't really care about) lose out, while the faceless goons in the FA pocket the telly cash and look on impassive. Sad to say, but the FA is an international disgrace.

Avram Grant (poor, deluded soul) reckons that the Revenue should look kindly on this case because the club is about the fans etc. Dear me. The Revenue doesn't look kindly on anything. They'd have the sweat off a racehorse is they thought they were owed it.

Then why are they prepared to accept £4m of £7.5m? :unsure:

I hope they go bust altogether - I wish this fate on all Premiership clubs.

Then why are they prepared to accept £4m of £7.5m? :unsure:

Well let's consider the definition of kindly. You are owed £7 million. The debtor offers £1.5 million now and an agreement to pay the rest later. You say, "No. I want £4 million now, and the rest soon." That's pretty harsh, as a matter of fact.

Depends if you think you'll get the rest, when you think you'll get the rest, and if you've been messed around before and want to remind people that it's your money they owe and that running up large, long-owed debts isn't going to be accepted any longer.

Can't blame HMRC really. If they take a hard line they're killing clubs, if they don't they're helping prop up financial mismanagement by refusing to crack down. Plus, ultimately, this is money the rest of us (and our businesses) have to pay, and (well, in theory) it pays for things like health, education and the like.

They're taking the harder line now as legally they are no longer preferred creditors (i.e. up the food chain in terms of getting money back) and have to queue like everyone else.

As a club, they deserve what they get. To have all that income and watch it go down the drain is just down to ridiculously bad management.

Its the fans I feel for more than the club itself, but it will certainly be an eye opener for the future.

Somewhat bizarrely, if Portsmouth were to fold and points scored against them are deducted from all other teams, Liverpool would be up to 3rd and just six points behind United.

ManUre would be five points behind Chelsea. Perhaps Taggart will pay the £4m to HMRC anonymously to keep the difference at four points, on the basis of the Greedy League Title being worth more than £4m compared wiith finishing runners-up.

Depends if you think you'll get the rest, when you think you'll get the rest, and if you've been messed around before and want to remind people that it's your money they owe and that running up large, long-owed debts isn't going to be accepted any longer.

Can't blame HMRC really. If they take a hard line they're killing clubs, if they don't they're helping prop up financial mismanagement by refusing to crack down. Plus, ultimately, this is money the rest of us (and our businesses) have to pay, and (well, in theory) it pays for things like health, education and the like.

They're taking the harder line now as legally they are no longer preferred creditors (i.e. up the food chain in terms of getting money back) and have to queue like everyone else.

I don't blame the Revenue either - I blame the FA, for letting the only two Arabs with no oil take over the bloody club, and then letting someone to whom they owed money take over after them. Which one of those three characters, not to mention the previous crowd of owners, were fit and proper people? None! But the FA don't give a :censored: , because they're raking in the telly cash all the same.

The FA has the curious ability to put me off the whole game. If those empty suits weren't so incompetent, we could well believe they were corrupt. Fancy being too stupid and self-interested to be corrupt?

I don't blame the Revenue either - I blame the FA, for letting the only two Arabs with no oil take over the bloody club, and then letting someone to whom they owed money take over after them. Which one of those three characters, not to mention the previous crowd of owners, were fit and proper people? None! But the FA don't give a :censored:, because they're raking in the telly cash all the same.

The FA has the curious ability to put me off the whole game. If those empty suits weren't so incompetent, we could well believe they were corrupt. Fancy being too stupid and self-interested to be corrupt?

The fit and proper persons test is (supposedly) carried out by the Premier League for the Premier League, and by the Football League for the next 3 divisions. The FA has responsibility only for the Conference.

Although they are still a set of clowns.

The fit and proper persons test is (supposedly) carried out by the Premier League for the Premier League, and by the Football League for the next 3 divisions. The FA has responsibility only for the Conference.

And yet still they let Diego own part of a Conference club. I guess their fit and proper persons investigator didn't venture to a particular corner of Essex.

And yet still they let Diego own part of a Conference club. I guess their fit and proper persons investigator didn't venture to a particular corner of Essex.

Maybe they interviewed him before the pubs opened, so he hadn't had the chance to be ejected on police advise or interfere with fire safety equipment?

ManUre would be five points behind Chelsea. Perhaps Taggart will pay the £4m to HMRC anonymously to keep the difference at four points, on the basis of the Greedy League Title being worth more than £4m compared wiith finishing runners-up.

I may have missed something but SSN was reporting that Pompey owe HMRC £11.5m

Did I miss something? Are Cardiff and Southend in the greedy league now too?

I wasn't being funny mate, but maybe you missed that, despite the title, the thread had been focussing on Portsmouth? I'm not even sure Southend had been mentioned? :unsure:

Well let's consider the definition of kindly. You are owed £7 million. The debtor offers £1.5 million now and an agreement to pay the rest later. You say, "No. I want £4 million now, and the rest soon." That's pretty harsh, as a matter of fact.

Not as harsh as demanding the lot. And certainly not as ruthless as "taking the sweat of a racehorse's back", or whatever it was.

Its very sad to see any football team go bust. However, I have no sympathy for anybody connected to the club if Pompey go bust. Pompey have the gate of a reasonable Championship side but had a massive wage bill more akin to clubs who have an average gate twice theirs and where paying some fairly mediocre players far too much money. Did no one go, hang on how are we able to afford this? Or were they too blinded by the appearances at Wembley and in Europe (I'm not saying they shouldn't have been blinded but maybe not as much as they were). If you are stupid enough to be paying some of the wages they were paying to their squad players without a big gate or a very rich backer then you deserve what's coming to you. There is no way anyone involved with running Pompey should ever be allowed near a football team again, and that includes Harry Redknapp who even if you ignore the alledged taking money in brown paper envelopes or skimming it from the top still thought it was appropriate to pay some very mediocre players ridiculously too much money (Muntari £80k a week jesus)

They owe the tax-man a substanial chunk of cash, they owe various individuals/groups/teams a fair bit of money (even if that money is frivolous- £1.7 million for image rights Sol?) but a contract is a contract and if Pompey don't pay up going down will be the least of their worries.

Football needs to get its house in order, and quickly. Half the Premiership either owes various multinational banks a large sum of money or they have a rich guy backing them. It is not limited to England either if you look at all the major top leagues in the world you will find someone who has either done a Leeds, doing a Pompey or worse gone bust. Yes its all well and good trying to compete with some very big names but little ABC computers of Oldham isn't trying to compete with Microsoft you have to be realistic. The number of teams that can afford to spend some of the wages and transfer fees for some of the big name stars around the world can be counted on two hands. The likes of Pompey then try and compete with some of them and the likes of Oldham have to try and compete with someone who is trying to compete with Pompey and so the cycle goes on.

Some form of international rules and regulations need to be put in place to stop clubs over spending, some of the parasitic creatures lurking around football need to stopped. (OK so Chelsea have been found to be not guilty in the Kakuta saga but maybe that's because the rules are wrong). I don't care how much he makes for Real madrid but there is no way Ronaldo is worth £80 million and £150k+/week. What happens when Sky decide to say that the Premiership viewing rights is worth 10% of what they are currently paying- will people be taking a 90% pay cut- will they heckers like. I know some of these ideas go against trading laws but this is trading within one industry and implementing some form of worldwide regulations mean that everyone/team is treated equally. If nothing is done soon then having teams like Pompey going bust will become an annual event and frankly if the FA and FIFA don't realise this then they want shooting.