DDay for Pompey

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't accuse them of doing things by half. £32 million quid, there you go boys, that should keep you ticking over until you're not our problem

Anyone else watch/listen to the Football Business forum thing on BBC last night? I had to switch over to the Ireland Brasil game for fear of breaking my new telly. :blink:

I’d be interested to know what players they have still under contract for next season, even if they all have relegation clauses these presumably would have been worked out on the expectation of having the parachute payments which they are now going to blow this season. If they are paying for the same overpaid dross next season or having to subsidise them to play elsewhere they could be up to their necks in it again in no time.

Makes me sick that Pompey can sack 85 people who earn a pitance compared to the players of which only 2 are unselfish enough to at least take a paycut.

Whilst I entirely agree (and I think David James is coming out of this whole thing with a lot of credit)- how many people do we employ? If we fired 85 people we'd struggle to have 11 players and everything behind the scenes would be done by AH and DP- in fact 85 is probably a lot more than we would need to get to that stage.

Pompey, however, will still be functioning as a club. So my guess is that whilst being paid pittance (relatively speaking) a lot of those sacked will still have someone doing their job when they leave. That is how you can get into a lot of debt by paying someone to do a job which someone else is already doing.

Whilst I entirely agree (and I think David James is coming out of this whole thing with a lot of credit)- how many people do we employ? If we fired 85 people we'd struggle to have 11 players and everything behind the scenes would be done by AH and DP- in fact 85 is probably a lot more than we would need to get to that stage.

Pompey, however, will still be functioning as a club. So my guess is that whilst being paid pittance (relatively speaking) a lot of those sacked will still have someone doing their job when they leave. That is how you can get into a lot of debt by paying someone to do a job which someone else is already doing.

A quick napkin count... at BP I'd say there's not 20 full time staff on the non-playing side.

On top of that you have 6 full time coaches and the players.

On a match day there's probably an additional 10 staff around the place, excluding ticket/steward/kiosk/catering staff which I couldn't estimate.

Hopefully that helps to put it into context for you.

Looks like HMRC mean business though this time

Southend been given 35 days to pay up, Cardiff given until May.

What are the odds both clubs will try to do a portsmouth beforehand and go into administration?

Hope Southend can sort it but couldnt give two hoots bout baadif

Looks like HMRC mean business though this time

Southend been given 35 days to pay up, Cardiff given until May.

What are the odds both clubs will try to do a portsmouth beforehand and go into administration?

Hope Southend can sort it but couldnt give two hoots bout baadif

It's one thing to go into administration, it's another to come out of it. The crunch will come when creditors decide it's in their interests to bulldoze a ground rather than take a share of not much and let them start again. HMRC look like they aren't going to take a lower share than anyone else, which means they aren't going to take less than 100% as that's what the clubs have to pay on football debts. Someone is going to go right under before this is done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today's Fiver reveals that Portsmouth owe:

The Scout Association £697,

Neil Webb £150,

Qatar Airways 20p.

Various Mr 15%s are also owed substantial sums, including Pini Zahavi (£2.07m), Willie McKay (£225,000) and Sky Andrew (£54,850), as well as former players, including Sylvain Distin (£338,400), Peter Crouch (£282,000) and Glen Johnson (£265,080).

Even Tottenham are owed a £1m "sell-on fee" for Asmir Begovic, a player who's never even played for them.

And finally, my personal favourite: £308.50 set aside for "ransom payments". Ransom payments!?!?

But the part which makes me stop laughing and want to cry a little... According to 2009's draft accounts, the club's overall staff costs - mostly players' wages - were 109% of revenues.

I hope they rot.

• 3 months later...