Aaron Ramsey

when i first saw it, it looked like a 50-50 tackle but shawcross mistimed (alan hansen said clumsy) and ramsey has unfortunately come off much worse.

but was it a red card? it was easy to give ad probably what most would have done but if the referee sent him off because of the consequenses rather than the actual tackle... mind you, shawcross didnt look fit to carry on

when i first saw it, it looked like a 50-50 tackle but shawcross mistimed (alan hansen said clumsy) and ramsey has unfortunately come off much worse.

but was it a red card? it was easy to give ad probably what most would have done but if the referee sent him off because of the consequenses rather than the actual tackle... mind you, Shawcross didn't look fit to carry on

I've said elsewhere that if you watch back every game from this weekend you will see a tackle the same as that without the tragic consequences which unfolded at the Britannia, sometimes these things just happen.

As for the red card - well, how does Michael Ballack only get a yellow for trying to snap Carlos Tevez in half from behind long after the ball has gone whilst Shawcross picks up a red for a 50/50.

Like you say - it's simply because of the result of, and not the actual, tackle and to be honest is probably the right decision - as leaving Shawcross on the pitch would just have created the risk or retaliation.

Which leaves Wenger. He's shot his mouth off yet again and I think owes the lad an apology, as it's an honest 50/50 - if Shawcross doesn't have his 3 game ban overturned then Ballack should get double that.

Slightly off topic, but there was a challenge in the first half of the Rangers v Celtic game today, can't remember the players involved but the Rangers defender swung his leg after the ball had gone and took the Celtic attacker clean out on the edge of the box.

Rangers defender was booked and THAT was a deliberate foul and technically could have been red as it was a professional foul, but as the striker was going across the box and not "last man" he stayed on the pitch!

I do think the red card shown to Shawcross should be rescinded, but I doubt it will be! Stoke are taking on the ESTABLISHMENT if they challenge the decision.