Thailand

Off to Thailand on Thurs. One night Bangcok, three Phuket, three Krabi.

Going diving and on a couple of boat trips. Any suggestions for other stuff to do and decent restaurants much appreciated.

Going with missus so no ping pong ball shows pls..

And if anyone has read any decent autobiographies lately let me know. I got Ronnie Irani's and it looks crap.

Edited by OAFCMIKE

Off to Thailand on Thurs. One night Bangcok, three Phuket, three Krabe.

Going diving and on a couple of boat trips. Any suggestions for other stuff to do and decent restaurants much appreciated.

And if anyone has read any decent autobiographies lately let me know. I got Ronnie Irani's and it looks crap.

Michael Mansfield.

The one by that Craig Murray who used to be ambassador to Uzbekistan is good, but a bit annoying.

Off to Thailand on Thurs. One night Bangcok, three Phuket, three Krabe.

Try Fred Eyre's book "Kicked Into Touch" it's good and what's more its local - even if he's a City fan.

Thailand is great, have a good time.

Edited by Millibob

Give Nana Plaza in bangkok a miss then. It's a small 4 or 5 tiered triangular courtyard. The ground floor is fairly tasteful; few bars, few scantily-clad beauties lounging around on stools. Then the further up you go the seedier it gets. I only went as far as the 2nd floor, probably get snuff movies being shot and Russian Roulette games like in the Deerhunter on the top floors.

Ive been to Thailand twice now, Phuket both times, once with the lads once with the missus. I dont know where you are staying, but couple of restaurants worth visiting in Karon Beach are The Red Onion and the Bamboo Kitchen. The Red Onion is out of this world, but i would say go early about 18.30 - 19.00 because it gets very busy. People are often waiting outside just to get a table, maybe you could book for a certain time but not to sure. And dont let the plastic chairs and cheap tablecloths put you off we went there most nights, costs about £10 for 2 people, starters, mains and drinks. The Bamboo Kitchen was abit more expensive but the missus did have a Sea Bass! Very posh inside, nice water features stunning really. The food was good and i didnt know you could cook a fish so many different ways! Visit the Bar With No Name in Karon Beach. One of the owners is a good friend of mine from Royton. Only problem is he is Dirty Leeds fan but dont hold that against him he is a top lad and his Thai missus keeps him in check! Just look for the big fat bald fella at the end of the bar! All of the bars in Karon will have ladys of the night in them but if youre with the missus they wont bother you. A visit to Big Budda and Chalong Temple is well worth a look. Get a Tuk-Tuk to give you a price, but we did a trip with some other sites thrown in for about £15 - £20 each well worth it. The After Beach bar in Kata is a must. Go and watch the sun go down from the top of the mountain over looking the sea OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Again get a price of the Tuk Tuk guys but not expensive. If youre looking for a mad one then head for Patong. Lots and lots of bars, again no hassle if youre with the missus. Head for the Kangaroo bar abit small but always mental and good for people watching. Patong is the main place for shopping, with some big shopping centres and markets so the missus will be happy!

Hope you have a good one!

Its made me really want to go again now!

Ive been to Thailand twice now, Phuket both times, once with the lads once with the missus. I dont know where you are staying, but couple of restaurants worth visiting in Karon Beach are The Red Onion and the Bamboo Kitchen. The Red Onion is out of this world, but i would say go early about 18.30 - 19.00 because it gets very busy. People are often waiting outside just to get a table, maybe you could book for a certain time but not to sure. And dont let the plastic chairs and cheap tablecloths put you off we went there most nights, costs about £10 for 2 people, starters, mains and drinks. The Bamboo Kitchen was abit more expensive but the missus did have a Sea Bass! Very posh inside, nice water features stunning really. The food was good and i didnt know you could cook a fish so many different ways! Visit the Bar With No Name in Karon Beach. One of the owners is a good friend of mine from Royton. Only problem is he is Dirty Leeds fan but dont hold that against him he is a top lad and his Thai missus keeps him in check! Just look for the big fat bald fella at the end of the bar! All of the bars in Karon will have ladys of the night in them but if youre with the missus they wont bother you. A visit to Big Budda and Chalong Temple is well worth a look. Get a Tuk-Tuk to give you a price, but we did a trip with some other sites thrown in for about £15 - £20 each well worth it. The After Beach bar in Kata is a must. Go and watch the sun go down from the top of the mountain over looking the sea OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Again get a price of the Tuk Tuk guys but not expensive. If youre looking for a mad one then head for Patong. Lots and lots of bars, again no hassle if youre with the missus. Head for the Kangaroo bar abit small but always mental and good for people watching. Patong is the main place for shopping, with some big shopping centres and markets so the missus will be happy!

Hope you have a good one!

Its made me really want to go again now!

Vijitt Resort mate. Bang on this - thanks a lot.

Give Nana Plaza in bangkok a miss then. It's a small 4 or 5 tiered triangular courtyard. The ground floor is fairly tasteful; few bars, few scantily-clad beauties lounging around on stools. Then the further up you go the seedier it gets. I only went as far as the 2nd floor, probably get snuff movies being shot and Russian Roulette games like in the Deerhunter on the top floors.

I watched the United/Bayern Final in Nana Plaza back in 1999. I needed to drown my sorrows after the final whistle, so decided to try and have one in every bar.

It does indeed get seedier the higher you get, and the girls seem to get younger, but it was hugely more respectable than I remember when I first went there in the mid eighties - there were blokes then who were blatantly peddling their preteen daughters. Stick to the ground floor for decent bars.

Soi Cowboy is another one to be careful of - if the bar owner I was out with hadn't warned me that the girl I was talking to was one of the many 'Kathoey's in there, I might just have made a very embarrassing discovery.

If Cabbages and Condoms is still there (Sukhumvit Soi 12), make a point of eating there. It's a fabulous restaurant, with profits going towards birth control projects in the Thai villages (Hence the name). Gorgeous food served on a banana leaf.

If you go to Ko Tao (easily the best of the islands, IMO) stay at Mr J's Bungalows.

They're mediocre at best, more of a back-packer thing than a couple on a nice holiday thing, but he's the funniest man in the world!

http://www.kohtaotoday.com/rooms_mrj_resort_kohtao_E.html

He keeps a league table of which nationality spends more and if you're from that country you get a better discount! He's then using all his money to build a temple on a hill where his house used to be!

Shame that you won't be here the following weekend, as the Thai Premier League season kicks off then. And FC Phuket (Division 2 South) are playing away this weekend.

Have a good time. :)

Oh, and be warned, it's just hit 96 degrees F! It's bloomin' hot!!!

Edited by ThaiLatic