The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitchell is one dimensional, over protected by Frank Warren and made the mistake of spending to much time on the ropes which you do not want to do against Katsidis.

Khan put in a solid performance but looked sloppy when he wasn't throwing the jab, if he lunges in like that against Maidana or Devon Alexander then he gets put away.

Mitchell is one dimensional, over protected by Frank Warren and made the mistake of spending to much time on the ropes which you do not want to do against Katsidis.

Khan put in a solid performance but looked sloppy when he wasn't throwing the jab, if he lunges in like that against Maidana or Devon Alexander then he gets put away.

Katsidis looked a massive class above Mitchell, he was very heavy handed as well, he is the sort of fighter you want to watch when he is charging forward with no respect for the opponent whilst throwing big bombs, Mitchell was like a bullied kid as he was trying to run away.

Khan looked good and like you said very solid, his hand speed and head movement has improved alot under the guidance of Freddy Roach, however are they never going to take the chance of pairing him up with a boxer who can actually land a big punch after what Prescott did to him, his chin has not been tested since that fight and if he wants a big pay day there is few big fights in that division awaiting him against guys who can punch.

James Degale frustrates the hell out of me when i watch him, if he concentrated on his boxing instead of pissing about with the crowd he could be a great fighter, he throws shots from all angles but he is too inconsistant at the minute.

Katsidis looked a massive class above Mitchell, he was very heavy handed as well, he is the sort of fighter you want to watch when he is charging forward with no respect for the opponent whilst throwing big bombs, Mitchell was like a bullied kid as he was trying to run away.

Khan looked good and like you said very solid, his hand speed and head movement has improved alot under the guidance of Freddy Roach, however are they never going to take the chance of pairing him up with a boxer who can actually land a big punch after what Prescott did to him, his chin has not been tested since that fight and if he wants a big pay day there is few big fights in that division awaiting him against guys who can punch.

James Degale frustrates the hell out of me when i watch him, if he concentrated on his boxing instead of pissing about with the crowd he could be a great fighter, he throws shots from all angles but he is too inconsistant at the minute.

Really poor show from Mitchell, standing in front of Katsidis with your back to the ropes is just suicide.

As for Khan I think they've reached that point in his career where they don't have any have any option but to fight legit opponents (Bradley/Maidana/Alexander). To give credit to Khan he sounds up for it too, and unlike Warren, Goldenboy aren't over protective of their fighters. *cough*Calzaghe*cough*

Paulie was a pathetic excuse of a fighter. Couldnt punch his way out of a wet paper bag, thought he could win by landing more shots (*thinks shots ala homer simpson punching a fly, and the fly flying off) and dodging Khan all night.

Was easy to see why he has only won five of his fights by KO

It was always going to be an easy fight for Khan. I can't wait for him to take the mandatory he has been dodging though. That should be a good fight, explosive anyway. Paulie M got through a few times but doesn't have the power to trouble people. Kahn didn't look good against him in the same way that Hatton ripped him apart.

I was gutted Mitchell lost. But it was nice to see Warren's face when he lost. As another of his cash cows goes begging. Only issue is this means he'll definately wrap the rest of his fighters in cotton wool for the whole of their careers.

De Gale seems to love showing off. It's a shame Warren won't throw him in with his old foe George Groves. A best of British bout. The whole thing with De Gale when he ducks really low down makes me want to see someone bop him on the top of the head.

Looks like Khan's gonna be back in the ring by the end of July against Michael Katsidis.

If that fight comes off then Khan has balls. To take on such a dangerous pressure fighter who will bum rush Khan, in just 10 weeks after going 11 round with Paulie Malignaggi. Props to Khan.

Crikey. Are you sure ? Source ?

Katsidis is one of my favourite boxers and if he smashes Khans to bits he will become a true hero of mine..up there with Barrera and Euuuuuuuubank.

Just found a mention of Khan V Katsidis in the The Mirror - I just cannot see Golden Boy putting Khan in with someone like Katsidis. Khan could and should whoop him, but Katsidis has no respect.

I definately cant see that fight happening because Katsidis will knock khan out quicker that Prescott did, every credit to him if he takes it on

Khan v Katsidis could happen in July- July 2011. Khan gets knocked out by Prescott (has he had a world title shot despite beating a current world champion in less than 6 minutes) and he has somehow become world champion and defended his title in favourable bouts a couple of times. When Khan has faced anyone of decent quality he has struggled- I'd fancy Mitchell against him nevermind Katsidis (who looked awesome last weekend).

What Khan is showing is that the Olympics and other amateur boxing competitions whilst being fairer than they used to be- just ask Roy Jones Jnr.- still have yet to find a way of letting the cream rise to the top more times than not. To be a good boxer you have to be able to take a punch- not simply land more punches than the person opposite- Khan is still yet to prove that. Eventually Khan will have to fight someone of decent quality because of the way professional boxing works I'll be surprised if that person is Katsidis but I wouldn't mind having a cheeky flutter on whoever gets to knock Khan of his self-inflated (possibly politically motivated) podium gets their ass handed to them by Katsidis.

Khan v Katsidis could happen in July- July 2011. Khan gets knocked out by Prescott (has he had a world title shot despite beating a current world champion in less than 6 minutes) and he has somehow become world champion and defended his title in favourable bouts a couple of times. When Khan has faced anyone of decent quality he has struggled- I'd fancy Mitchell against him nevermind Katsidis (who looked awesome last weekend).

What Khan is showing is that the Olympics and other amateur boxing competitions whilst being fairer than they used to be- just ask Roy Jones Jnr.- still have yet to find a way of letting the cream rise to the top more times than not. To be a good boxer you have to be able to take a punch- not simply land more punches than the person opposite- Khan is still yet to prove that. Eventually Khan will have to fight someone of decent quality because of the way professional boxing works I'll be surprised if that person is Katsidis but I wouldn't mind having a cheeky flutter on whoever gets to knock Khan of his self-inflated (possibly politically motivated) podium gets their ass handed to them by Katsidis.

Prescott's chances went pear shaped after he got beat by Mitchell, Frank Warren has absolutely slated Mitchell's commitment after his defeat by Katsidis saying he went shopping on the day of the fight and he has walked out of training camps, where as Katsidis had left his wife and kids to train in Thailand for two months.

Khan is undoubtly offensively good but could he take the power of Katsidis on his fragile chin, this would be a good fight to watch if it ever happened.

Prescott's chances went pear shaped after he got beat by Mitchell, Frank Warren has absolutely slated Mitchell's commitment after his defeat by Katsidis saying he went shopping on the day of the fight and he has walked out of training camps, where as Katsidis had left his wife and kids to train in Thailand for two months.

Khan is undoubtly offensively good but could he take the power of Katsidis on his fragile chin, this would be a good fight to watch if it ever happened.

OK cool I remember being told Mitchell beat Prescott but it didn't register until you reminded me. Prescott isn't likely to get a title shot then (well not against Khan at any rate) as whilst Khan hasn't defended against anyone of any quality (in fact the bloke he beat to win the title probably wasn't any good) he will have to soon and against Prescott he has nothing to gain but everything to loose. Whereas against someone like Katsidis (and his interim championship- which sounds like a bit of a no name title) he might show his quality if he wins (which i doubt).

• 2 months later...

So Marquez – Diaz anyone watch it. Wasn’t as good as the last one Marquez controlled the most of it and took it comfortably.

The undercard:

George Groves (with Haye in his corner) had a fight in Vegas, the referee stopped the fight with groves getting on top but stopped it far too early in my opinion.

Was sad to see Casemayor at the end of his career. A few years ago he would have wiped the floor with most that stepped in the ring with him. He looked slow and uninterested. Rumours are abound of a fight with Amir Khan. Another good name on Khan’s record after another easy fight can be the only predicted outcome of this id it happens.

Fight of the night:

Pirog - Jacobs – two undefeated fighters. Jacobs is/was Golden boys ‘golden child’ huge things have been expected by this kid. The management must have thought that this would be a safe fight for him.

Try and watch it if you haven’t already it was brutal.

So Marquez – Diaz anyone watch it. Wasn’t as good as the last one Marquez controlled the most of it and took it comfortably.

The undercard:

George Groves (with Haye in his corner) had a fight in Vegas, the referee stopped the fight with groves getting on top but stopped it far too early in my opinion.

Was sad to see Casemayor at the end of his career. A few years ago he would have wiped the floor with most that stepped in the ring with him. He looked slow and uninterested. Rumours are abound of a fight with Amir Khan. Another good name on Khan’s record after another easy fight can be the only predicted outcome of this id it happens.

Fight of the night:

Pirog - Jacobs – two undefeated fighters. Jacobs is/was Golden boys ‘golden child’ huge things have been expected by this kid. The management must have thought that this would be a safe fight for him.

Try and watch it if you haven’t already it was brutal.

Yeah, saw the Marquez/Diaz - Had Diaz carried on taking the fight to Marquez, he may have caused him a few more problems, but 1st 2 rounds and last 2 rounds were nowhere near enough. Diaz' speed/jab should have caused him more problems - though saying that they both looked cream crackered at the end. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Couple of good fights here from the ABA finals earlier this year. Amateur boxing can be a bit lame but these two fights are very good.

Brilliant fight : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3NFqbFtHE...feature=channel

This guy is from Oldham/Chadderton : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07l8NvjsZq8...feature=channel

• 4 months later...

There's a great fight on 2am Sky Sports 2, the sort of fights boxing needs at the moment. Tim Bradley v Devon Alexander, both undefeated champions in Amir Khan's weight class. Both slick, undefeated Americans, both won their belts from Junior Witter and the winner will likely be regarded as number 1 in the 140 division until Khan faces the winner later this year. The fight is for the WBO and WBC Light Welterweight titles (Khan has the WBA).

HBO teasers:

Definitely one to catch if you're still up, Sky Sports 2 at 2am. I can't wait, it's probably my 3rd most anticipated fight for the past couple of years (Mayweather v Pacquiao and Haye v Klitschko being the first two)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wladimir Klitschko v Chisora is off.

Wladimir Klitschko v David Haye is on!

The contracts were signed today.

Haye is gonna bet the snot knocked out of him, Mr. O'Dea. Still, it's a fight I wanna see.