Gary Johnson

A BCFC fan I know posted this on another forum:

Press Association notes this morning state at 10.27 last night, Gary Johnson resigned as the Bristol City manager, agreeing to take compensation up until the end of the 2010 - 2011 season, meaning Bristol City saved 2 years on the 5 year deal.

Rumours of a half time bust up sadly seem true, with 3 players asking City chief Stephen Lansdown to tear up their contracts with immediate effect as they felt they could no longer work with Johnson. Lansdown reportedly very unhappy with these developments called an evening meeting to discuss the allegations and general poor performance of late both on and off the pitch in which he asked Johnson if he would resign, or take a public vote of confidence in which further altercations and poor results which would lead to him being sacked for misconduct, which was a clause in the five year signed contract, which would leave him unavailable for compensation after the season of departure. In company to his resignation he would leave with his reputation in tact and receive an agreed pay off.

Johnson was given an hour to make a decision and opted to resign.

Keith Millen will take charge of the game against Newcastle on Saturday, before interviews are conducted for a new full time manager.

All of Johnson's staff will remain in their roles, but will be accepted to take mutual termination if they are not part of the full time managers plans.

The Press Association learns that Paul Ince, Gareth Southgate & Paul Tisdale are all being considered for the full time role, whilst speculation leads the PA to believe that one time City player Steve McClaren has offered his name for the post, feeling it could be a new challenge back into English Football, having been told his contract with FC Twente will not be extended when it comes to an end in May 2010.

If I though there was a hope in hell he would be interested.... his style of football would be more than welcomed at Oldham...

However, with huge "allegations" that he has both booze and gambling addictions (including a few people I know seeing him permanently in their local bookies) - I'm not sure he will fit in. That was all soooooo 2009 :wink:

I'm sure he will probably get another decent championship or top-end league 1 job. His CV has enough, however whether he will move out of the south west remains to be seen...

Edited by BigfinLatic

If I though there was a hope in hell he would be interested.... his style of football would be more than welcomed at Oldham...

However, with huge "allegations" that he has both booze and gambling addictions (including a few people I know seeing him permanently in their local bookies) - I'm not sure he will fit in. That was all soooooo 2009 :wink:

I'm sure he will probably get another decent championship or top-end league 1 job. His CV has enough, however whether he will move out of the south west remains to be seen...

Aside from the local knowledge I agree- he's a good manager who has a reputation of getting teams out of this division and getting them steady in the Championship. Unfortunately he is probably too good for us. I can see him going to a few of the bigger teams in this league, for example Leeds if they don't go up, or some of the teams in the league above especially the ones who look like they might be coming down- e.g. Plymouth.

Just saying, like..

So do you know of any foundation to these booze and gambling stories? If so, I wonder if that might force him to look lower down the league than he might otherwise need to? Let's face it, that would be our only chance.

So do you know of any foundation to these booze and gambling stories? If so, I wonder if that might force him to look lower down the league than he might otherwise need to? Let's face it, that would be our only chance.

Other than the fact that two people I know (both Brizzle city fans) walk past a bookies every day on the way back from work, and Gary Johnson is in there virtually every day. allegedly They say its normally from about 2/3pm onwards. Traning finished... down the bookies etc... etc...

I still think no matter what he is too good for us, and willl get decent job offers. Your plymouth shout 'aint a bad one though.

Er, does the apparent reason for his sacking - that players refuse to play for him - not cause any concern?

If one of those is Lee Johnson - then I would be worried!

Taking everything else aside, he has run his course with Brizzle. 5 years, and thier first year in the champ gave them massive delusions of grandeur. This was always going to happen as the only way was down from there. Brizzle city fans for years have said they would have been more than happy with a decent championship side, after that fluke of a first season he was then supposed to pull the premier league out of his arse which is never going to happen, they just dont have the resources....

Ran his course... time to move on...

Er, does the apparent reason for his sacking - that players refuse to play for him - not cause any concern?

Not really. Certainly not with Johnson's record. I'd be more concerned if we were looking at bringing in any of those players.

Bristol City the season they got promoted, came to BP and beat us 3-0 when we were on a top run of form... They absolutely hammered us that day and were one of the best sides iv seen in recent years @ BP.

I’ve said sacking Penney would get us nowhere at this stage of the season, but if Gary Johnson was interested(no chance), I’d drop Penney like a shot!!!

He could end up at Chesterfield when they don't get promoted this season.