General Election

Right. I'll get the ball rolling, since I'm totally impartial.

Yesterday, Cameron used lines borrowed from one President Richard "Tricky Dicky" Nixon - the "great ignored" are just the same as the "silent majority" as it turns out. What kind of goon would borrow lines from a goon like Nixon?

Also, business leaders and national chain store owners (who get one vote apiece, just like you or me) are urging us to vote Tory by threatening not to take any more people on. Nothing like a bit of old-fashioned capitalist blackmail to get the election off to an incendiary start. I say they should get back to their shelves and prepare to be insulted. Aren't these the same people who threatened they wouldn't take people on if Labour introduced the minimum wage?

Vote Labour.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camoron has announced national service for the 16 year olds.

Yes, that it exactly what this country needs.

Tomorrow's news now, he will promise the blind will be able to see, the deaf will be able to hear and the lame will be able to walk.

Camoron has announced national service for the 16 year olds.

The problem with this sort of scheme is that the take-up rate from youngsters who would otherwise spend their summer taking recreational drugs and stabbing people is likely to be fairly low.

Also, business leaders and national chain store owners (who get one vote apiece, just like you or me) are urging us to vote Tory by threatening not to take any more people on. Nothing like a bit of old-fashioned capitalist blackmail to get the election off to an incendiary start. I say they should get back to their shelves and prepare to be insulted. Aren't these the same people who threatened they wouldn't take people on if Labour introduced the minimum wage?

Vote Labour.

The minimum wage did and will continue to cost jobs, like a lot of Brown's damaging economic policies the effects were masked as he introduced them at a time of worldwide boom. We are seeing the impact no in that we were first into recession and the last out, and the idea of making it 1% more expensive to give someone a job seems like total madness to me.

Little Girl arrived on Easter Sunday...

She is going to need the NHS, Education system, Surestart and such like over the next couple of years so have decided to vote Labour. Makes sense for my family.

Edited by oafc0000

She is going to need the NHS

Hopefully the one that operated successfully to remove my appendix a few years ago. Not the one that killed my Mum and made a decent effort at finishing off my Dad.

Education system

Where I think Labour have improved it at primary level, but have failed horribly beyond that. At least everybody passes their exams now though.

Surestart and such like over the next couple of years so have decided to vote Labour. Makes sense for my family.

Never heard of it so found a linky. Seems like a good idea, but sometimes there is a risk of too much state involvement in our lives.

Hopefully the one that operated successfully to remove my appendix a few years ago. Not the one that killed my Mum and made a decent effort at finishing off my Dad.

There is little government control really besides funding. Imagine what it would be like with Tory funding (I don't believe they will ring fence funding).

Where I think Labour have improved it at primary level, but have failed horribly beyond that. At least everybody passes their exams now though.

I was failed massively by my primary school under the Torys so very happy to see the level of investment under Labour. I will be honest I don't know much about how secondary schools have fared over that time though. Universities where fine when I was there but I think the governments 50% target is nuts. University should be reserved for the better students IMO.

Never heard of it so found a linky. Seems like a good idea, but sometimes there is a risk of too much state involvement in our lives.

I think surestart is a real Labour success.

There is little government control really besides funding. Imagine what it would be like with Tory funding (I don't believe they will ring fence funding).

I was failed massively by my primary school under the Torys so very happy to see the level of investment under Labour. I will be honest I don't know much about how secondary schools have fared over that time though. Universities where fine when I was there but I think the governments 50% target is nuts. University should be reserved for the better students IMO.

I think surestart is a real Labour success.

Like shooting fish in a barrel, you have proved your point spectacularly! :grin:

The results of the investment in surestart and primary will take a while to filter through to the secondary sector, one of the only long term policies that a British government has enacted for a long time, rather than a badly thought out cheap quick fix.

Congrats on the addition to the family.

Like shooting fish in a barrel, you have proved your point spectacularly! :grin:

The results of the investment in surestart and primary will take a while to filter through to the secondary sector, one of the only long term policies that a British government has enacted for a long time, rather than a badly thought out cheap quick fix.

Congrats on the addition to the family.

:lol:

My spelling skills will never be great :(

Cheers for the congrats :)

Like Zero's I was let down greatly by my primary school education under the Tories. This coupled with their more 'right wing' views on social minorities (such as homosexuals) means I could never bring myself to vote for them. Simple as that.

This year I'm torn between Labour, who I've supported historically, and the Lib Dem's, who have very little hope of getting in despite it being arguably their best opportunity in years.

Like Zero's I was let down greatly by my primary school education under the Tories. This coupled with their more 'right wing' views on social minorities (such as homosexuals) means I could never bring myself to vote for them. Simple as that.

I find it a bit odd that issues like gay equality are even on the agenda these days. I mean, who exactly cares any more? As a teenager I was more towards the, “burn them and send the ashes to Mars,” school of thought but the world has moved on. It’s stupid the fuss made over the Tory bloke saying he thought B & B owners should have the right to choose who to let into their home. I mean, they just should. The world is a big enough place to allow people their own little quirks and foibles in their private domain. It shouldn’t be hard to find a guesthouse with gay-friendly owners...

Chris Grayling is an example, not an exception. That's the problem. He's been dumb enough to come out and reveal what a narrow-minded fool he really is. For me he's just an example of the mentality that runs throughout the party.

Chris Grayling is an example, not an exception. That's the problem. He's been dumb enough to come out and reveal what a narrow-minded fool he really is. For me he's just an example of the mentality that runs throughout the party.

I don’t know much about him personally but so far as I can tell his only mistake has been honesty. He has apparently voted in favour of reduced age of consent etc throughout his career, all he has done her is suggest that people should be allowed to live according to their own principles in their private sphere. I could imagine for example a religious (of whatever flavour) or just old-fashioned guesthouse owner not being happy to rent a 10-bed room out for Gary Lineker to throw a soiree in even if there wasn’t a hint of homosexuality to it, and most people wouldn’t mind that, this couple weren’t comfortable with gay men sharing a bed in their house. I don’t see why the law can’t respect their views, although I don’t share them.

There's a significant difference between the Lineker inspired orgy and a couple sharing a bed mate.

This wasn't a gay couple looking to run an all night session in their hotel for any gay man in the village. This was a couple looking for a quiet weekend get away together. They are just as entitled to that room as any other couple.

If you wish to make comparisons it should not be with an orgy but with another, straight, couple of equal social and economic standing. In that case the couple who were straight would have been welcomed with open arms. In this instance, therefore, the owners are making their objections based entirely on sexuality and I find that deplorable. Sickening.

If they are not comfortable with people staying in their home then they should not open it up to people in the first instance.

Finally, they say they object on religious grounds. Whilst this is a slight tangent, I also find it sickening that just by basing your prejudice on an ancient, and in my opinion fictional, text, gives it more validity when being used to create or substantiate a prejudice. It shouldn't make an ounce of difference.

There's a significant difference between the Lineker inspired orgy and a couple sharing a bed mate.

This wasn't a gay couple looking to run an all night session in their hotel for any gay man in the village. This was a couple looking for a quiet weekend get away together. They are just as entitled to that room as any other couple.

If you wish to make comparisons it should not be with an orgy but with another, straight, couple of equal social and economic standing. In that case the couple who were straight would have been welcomed with open arms. In this instance, therefore, the owners are making their objections based entirely on sexuality and I find that deplorable. Sickening.

If they are not comfortable with people staying in their home then they should not open it up to people in the first instance.

Finally, they say they object on religious grounds. Whilst this is a slight tangent, I also find it sickening that just by basing your prejudice on an ancient, and in my opinion fictional, text, gives it more validity when being used to create or substantiate a prejudice. It shouldn't make an ounce of difference.

Yet strangely, you yourself are displaying your own prejudices against adults having consensual sex whilst a tanned jug-eared bloke cracks one off, seemingly finding that less acceptable than a married or otherwise coupley couple doing it? No more rational than a religious belief IMO

Eh?

Personally I have no problem with the orgy, especially if my childhood hero is involved - good effort that man!

However that doesn't make it comparable to a couple sharing a room, no matter what their sexual orientation may be.

Eh?

Personally I have no problem with the orgy

So I'd heard

However that doesn't make it comparable to a couple sharing a room, no matter what their sexual orientation may be.

I think it is. Both involve the owner making a value judgement about consensual activity.