• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OUR TOP PICKS FOR SOUTH AFRICA

1 Kruger National Park

Savour creation's primeval majesty in this world-renowned safari destination

2 Drakensberg

Hike amid the magnificent peaks and plunging valleys of this breathtaking escarpment

3 Southern Coast

Explore South Africa's coastline, from Hermanus with its whales to the rivers and ravines of Tsitsikamma National Park

4 Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park

Visit this stomping ground for the Big Five plus other wildlife galore

5 Cape Town

Savour the cosmopolitan chic of one of the world's most beautiful cities and get pelted with spray at Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve

6 Winelands

Treat yourself to fine wining and dining in the verdant valleys around Franschhoek, Paarl and Stellenbosch

7 The Karoo

Marvel in the Karoo's space and silence, or visit Graaff-Reinet, one of South Africa's most charming towns

8 Wild Coast

Take in crashing waves and hidden waterfalls along the coast, or head inland to explore colourful Xhosa villages

9 Zululand

See history's footsteps fuse with modern rhythms in one of South Africa's most vibrant corners

10 Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Revel in the Kalahari's haunting vistas and vastness

11 Maputaland

Take in the off-season tranquillity and sublime beauty of the coast between the Greater St Lucia Wetlands Park and Kosi Bay NR

12 Namaqualand

Visit Namaqualand in springtime, when the rugged landscapes soften under an explosion of wildflowers

Or you could go and ram all those zuzumas or whatever they are called where the sun don't shine in time for the world cup.

Or ram it where the sun don't shine with one of the very many cheap prostitutes. You won't die of Aids so long as you have a shower afterwards, the President said so.

Or ram it where the sun don't shine with one of the very many cheap prostitutes. You won't die of Aids so long as you have a shower afterwards, the President said so.

Funnily enough I was watching the news last night and Zuma said exactly the same thing , but he said Lees Lover said so ....

Some beardy type was saying these eruptions can last as long as two months :huh:

Better bloody not do I am flying to Cape Town on the 9th June <_<

The eruption in December 1821 lasted for a week, yet it continued low level eruptions for about 6 months into 1822 - then it kicked off again for a further 3 months taking the total activity up to August 1822. It then subdued to low level eruptions again until December 1822.

I don't know how much ash was thrown out at the time - or what "low-level" eruptions mean, I would make a guess that it continued for over the twelve month period...

I'm trying to tempt work to Eurostar me to Geneva to fly from there. Whilst I'm not exactly moaning about that, or about the fact that I am currently sitting in my front room rather than in work, I am starting to get pretty bored of being in limbo.

Like Rummy points out, these things have been known to last for months at a time. Its only because either they occurred before the mass-flight era we're presently in or because thanks to their location/the weather in that region the ash was contained in an un-intrusive area.

Some of the things I've read in the last couple of days also suggest that two 'major' eruptions (that's how many we've had so far) would be the lowest output for this volcano in it's history.

And in the end, if you're going to be stranded then at least it's because nature is beautiful, and not because some mentalists believe the word of a 2000 year old bed time story...

icevolcano_fulle_big.jpg

And in the end, if you're going to be stranded then at least it's because nature is beautiful, and not because some mentalists believe the word of a 2000 year old bed time story...

i look forward to that mental bishop trying to blame it on God being angry at the gays.

The eruption in December 1821 lasted for a week, yet it continued low level eruptions for about 6 months into 1822 - then it kicked off again for a further 3 months taking the total activity up to August 1822. It then subdued to low level eruptions again until December 1822.

I don't know how much ash was thrown out at the time - or what "low-level" eruptions mean, I would make a guess that it continued for over the twelve month period...

And not a plane dropped out of the sky during that time!