The lost art of being a low budget manager

I think for all his faults Mr Penney may have lowered fans expectations to the benefit of his successor. After that nine months I'd be happy for a mid-table finish, as long as the football was easy to watch.

All I want is for it not to be a chore any more and the people I go with feel the same.

Sheridan it is then.

Oops.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand all these fears over Gannon. I don't care if he's as popular as a ginger-haired stepson, if he gets results crowds will rise.

Surviving in front of 2,000?

No they won't! Coz only the ugly stuff will see us get results. :censored: players which is all we'll be afford will have to play :censored:, ugly football for us to get results. And that will see the same meery-go-round. Crowds won't rise unless we have a Dowie season and you can see what that cost!

Realism...it wasn't ever gunna be pretty...now it's gunna be diabolical and relegation!

I think for all his faults Mr Penney may have lowered fans expectations to the benefit of his successor. After that nine months I'd be happy for a mid-table finish, as long as the football was easy to watch.

All I want is for it not to be a chore any more and the people I go with feel the same.

So if we won on Saturday and finished 13th (highest possible with a big win now Hartlepool have lost 3pts) or 14th what would that be then??? Oh well...

Edited by boundaryblue80

No they won't! Coz only the ugly stuff will see us get results. :censored: players which is all we'll be afford will have to play :censored:, ugly football for us to get results. And that will see the same meery-go-round. Crowds won't rise unless we have a Dowie season and you can see what that cost!

Realism...it wasn't ever gunna be pretty...now it's gunna be diabolical and relegation!

I disagree. And it can't be more diabolical than it was.

So if we won on Saturday and finished 13th (now Hartlepool have lost 3pts) what would that be then??? Oh well...

Read the rest of it. As long as the football was easy to watch and going to Latics was not a chore.

I disagree. And it can't be more diabolical than it was.

Be afraid!!! Be very, very afraid...I didn't see us going to Hereford and losing 5-0 this season...play that sort of stuff and you'll get what you ask for...you can't do it in this league!!!

I'll do it again...

Budget fit for League Two players or players cast off from League One clubs

Some fans baying for managers blood before he stepped in here as he wasn't their choice and a Yorkshire :censored:, more follow quickly

Pre-season injuries

Hungarians swamp the reserve set-up causing unrest behind the scenes

High number of big teams and budgets in league (Leeds, Norwich, Charlton, Udders, Swindon, MK Scum, Southampton)

17 Southern teams in League one

Start off well, have good away record, then injuries bite into October...TEN...yes...TEN potential 1st teamers injured

Hit all the top teams back-to-back

Dec/Jan can't get a game on the pitch

Return in February with 4 games in hand on most but sucked into relegation battle due to postponements

Team returns without match fitness, any pre-season a team relies on through Xmas to May is shredded

Hit February and as we start being able to play again face Norwich, Leeds and Colchester just when we didn't need it

Time comes to play SURVIVAL football...try not to lose and nick wins...points mean prizes

March - Chance to get some points on board

April - Take on a few top teams and manage to get the points to see us safe in the most testing season in my years as a fan

May - "Fans" ecstatic that the manager who saved the Titanic from going down is sacked

I'm sometimes ashamed to follow this club...the "fans" are a huge reason why.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Be afraid!!! Be very, very afraid...I didn't see us going to Hereford and losing 5-0 this season...play that sort of stuff and you'll get what you ask for...you can't do it in this league!!!

I'll do it again...

Budget fit for League Two players or players cast off from League One clubs

Some fans baying for managers blood before he stepped in here as he wasn't their choice and a Yorkshire :censored:, more follow quickly

Pre-season injuries

Hungarians swamp the reserve set-up causing unrest behind the scenes

High number of big teams and budgets in league (Leeds, Norwich, Charlton, Udders, Swindon, MK Scum, Southampton)

17 Southern teams in League one

Start off well, have good away record, then injuries bite into October...TEN...yes...TEN potential 1st teamers injured

Hit all the top teams back-to-back

Dec/Jan can't get a game on the pitch

Return in February with 4 games in hand on most but sucked into relegation battle we'd been nowhere near until postponements

Team returns without match fitness, any pre-season a team relies on through Xmas to May is shredded

Hit February and as we start being able to play again face Norwich, Leeds and Colchester just when we didn't need it

Time comes to play SURVIVAL football...try not to lose and nick wins...points mean prizes

March - Chance to get some points on board

April - Take on a few top teams and manage to get the points to see us safe in the most testing season in my years as a fan

May - "Fans" ecstatic that the manager who saved the Titanic from going down is sacked

I'm sometimes ashamed to follow this club...the "fans" are a huge reason why.

Alistair Campbell couldn't have written that any better.

Alistair Campbell couldn't have written that any better.

Those are facts...no spin...facts matey!

Stick any manager in to deal with that lot and not one would've done much better, if any. Unless the budget increases next season, which it won't, be afraid!!! I was after Moore was sacked but at least I knew Shez would have the benefit of a good side. This time though...no such thing. Reap and sow...

Those are facts...no spin...facts matey!

Stick any manager in to deal with that lot and not one would've done much better, if any. Unless the budget increases next season, which it won't, be afraid!!! I was after Moore was sacked but at least I knew Shez would have the benefit of a good side. This time though...no such thing. Reap and sow...

Joe Colbeck, Worthington, Keigan Parker, Rob Purdie, Dean Brill, not playing Morrow for months - all things that can be improved on.

Joe Colbeck, Worthington, Keigan Parker, Rob Purdie, Dean Brill, not playing Morrow for months - all things that can be improved on.

Colbeck - I'm told wasn't his signing but a "club" signing...not sure I believed that when I was told it, but either way, he scored at Swindon then got left out in the club. Hauled off at Udds...not sure what went wrong, thought he had some potential but would never see it when we had to play SURVIVAL football as he'd rather get down the wings and we were being more conservative than that.

Worthington - Started the season brightly. Got injured...not come back the same player. Jury out. Certainly wouldn't call him a bad'un yet.

Parker - Dire...no arguments. Said last Summer that I wasn't inspired as he seemed to me to be a purple patch player. Penney rightly cast him off after giving him umpteen chances. Rightly so. He could've persisted with him and us gone into the mire.

Purdie - Comes highly rated...can't slag off a player we haven't seen. Hope we can get him fit for next season and proves a good'un

Brill - Dire...given similar chances to Parker and rightly replaced. Debutised where needed, but rightly dropped when Flav was fit. Another case of Penney rightly addressing a situation.

:censored: - Got pissed, got into a fight, got concussion and got himself ruled out of playing for 7 days. Penney rightly addressed the situation. I would've hoped the hatchet could've been buried...and in some ways, maybe it was as he got to play a bit more often.

Managers make mistakes...every single one in history...when in tough circumstances ya have more decisions to make and get some right and some wrong...the Red Scum let Tevez go and bought Berbamiss...secretly Taggart will be kicking himself over it now it appears they've lost the title.

I'll add one more to your list...the biggest disappointment of the season for me...Furman. I'm sure Penney is gutted at this lads lack of ability. I know I was.

Boy, weren't his mistakes magnified? I feel he was the wrong man for the job from the off. Mistakes have been made with managerial appointments for ages, way before Penney. And when they did look to getting it nearer the mark with Shez, there's interference such as going on record (Latics player) questioning players desire. Knock-on effect means a collossus dip in form and a plummet down the division.

Now, I truly am thankful of TTA footing the losses, being the bank and ensuring we're not going down the route of many, many other clubs such as selling out, racking up more and more losses "chasing the dream". Given the circumstances, and dwindling gates we get they do well to run us within our means, or as close to as possible. But major decisions made at top level (including today) are just simply the main, deep-rooted problem which isn't going away. Today's decision is simply driven by a fear of fans threatening not to renew ST's. But to blame them is folly, because it's bad decisions made waaay back which have caused this.

Bring on the next fall guy. I'm just completely bored by the whole circus anyway.

I'm sick of seeing all this: "Jose Mourinho could be in charge and he wouldn't get us in the top half on our budget', 'All that will happen is that a new man will come in, be given a year and then fired off', and 'It doesn't matter who the manager is, the problems at the club run deeper than that.'

RUBBISH

Was Joe Royle's budget the first time round one of the biggest in the Division? Is Blackpool's now one of the highest in the Championship? What about Bournemouth? Howe couldn't even sign anyone could he?

The fact is that there ARE managers out there who are better than others. Whose teams finish above others who have more money to spend. Big budgets don't buy titles. Ask City. That's the beauty of football.

Jim Gannon worked wonders at County with nowt. Why can't he do the same here? League One is not rocket science, despite our outgoing manager making it look that way.

Let's be honest. Penney was abysmal. He didn't fail because of the fans. Absolute tosh. He failed because of his own pathetic performance. What precious little he had he squandered.

This is a pivotal point for Latics now. The right choice needs to be made.

A league one football outfit similar to ourselves :shock: with a tight budget simply can not afford to bring in top quality players, does the club have scouts? I would hazard a guess as to No it doesn't, therefore we will have to look no further than season long loan signings, now for me the best type of manager to take over from Penney would be someone who has friends in the right places ie: Premiership clubs down the road, now look at the list who everyone has drawn up and who would be the best person for the job out of that list? I'll leave that one there.....

Colbeck - I'm told wasn't his signing but a "club" signing...not sure I believed that when I was told it, but either way, he scored at Swindon then got left out in the club. Hauled off at Udds...not sure what went wrong, thought he had some potential but would never see it when we had to play SURVIVAL football as he'd rather get down the wings and we were being more conservative than that.

Worthington - Started the season brightly. Got injured...not come back the same player. Jury out. Certainly wouldn't call him a bad'un yet.

Parker - Dire...no arguments. Said last Summer that I wasn't inspired as he seemed to me to be a purple patch player. Penney rightly cast him off after giving him umpteen chances. Rightly so. He could've persisted with him and us gone into the mire.

Purdie - Comes highly rated...can't slag off a player we haven't seen. Hope we can get him fit for next season and proves a good'un

Brill - Dire...given similar chances to Parker and rightly replaced. Debutised where needed, but rightly dropped when Flav was fit. Another case of Penney rightly addressing a situation.

:censored: - Got pissed, got into a fight, got concussion and got himself ruled out of playing for 7 days. Penney rightly addressed the situation. I would've hoped the hatchet could've been buried...and in some ways, maybe it was as he got to play a bit more often.

Managers make mistakes...every single one in history...when in tough circumstances ya have more decisions to make and get some right and some wrong...the Red Scum let Tevez go and bought Berbamiss...secretly Taggart will be kicking himself over it now it appears they've lost the title.

I'll add one more to your list...the biggest disappointment of the season for me...Furman. I'm sure Penney is gutted at this lads lack of ability. I know I was.

They were all mistakes. If it wasn't for a chance encounter Gregan wouldn't have been back. And then we really would have been in the mire.

Hopefully the right new man will be chosen and you'll be surprised.

I'm not about to defend every point of Penney like you yourself aren't BB, but I think Furmans standing is largely due to Penney not letting him past the halfway line often enough.

But, be it by accident or on purpose we've had successes too.

Abbott before being worn out was acers early on.

Stephens was a revelation in midfield, after not making the Dale side.

Gregan has been put in his place and has had his best season under us.

I just think (and it is something I learnt with Ronnie's sacking) that it was sacking a bloke halfway through a job which started with one hand tied behind his back and then continued with injuries smashing his fingers in.

Dull it was. I don't think anyone would argue that, but it got better as players returned (alright it wasn't great) - and was easily standable so long as results followed.

I'm not about to defend every point of Penney like you yourself aren't BB, but I think Furmans standing is largely due to Penney not letting him past the halfway line often enough.

But, be it by accident or on purpose we've had successes too.

Abbott before being worn out was acers early on.

Stephens was a revelation in midfield, after not making the Dale side.

Gregan has been put in his place and has had his best season under us.

I just think (and it is something I learnt with Ronnie's sacking) that it was sacking a bloke halfway through a job which started with one hand tied behind his back and then continued with injuries smashing his fingers in.

Dull it was. I don't think anyone would argue that, but it got better as players returned (alright it wasn't great) - and was easily standable so long as results followed.

I thought even early season that Furman was being overrated by our lot...for every good pass, there were 5 overhit ones...so much so, myself and those I sit with had this thing called "cooking with Dean Furman" which ranged from slightly overdone to burnt to a cinder. Poor player...has a lot to prove. Yeah, he could tackle but he made Allott look like a roving midfielder in comparison.

Edited by boundaryblue80

u got any inside scoop oafcmike? presumably you spoke with corney today - what's he said about it all?

I did, briefly. Was honest as always. One or two things off record which will hopefully come out at a later date. On record - don't expect a decision in the very near future.

I did, briefly. Was honest as always. One or two things off record which will hopefully come out at a later date. On record - don't expect a decision in the very near future.

it's painfully obvious that the fan's have held him to ransom yet again...I thought that you supported your club through thick and thin...Who am i to preach hey ho

so much so, myself and those I sit with had this thing called "cooking with Dean Furman" which ranged from slightly overdone to burnt to a cinder.

Aah them the days- I thought we went beyond burnt to a cinder as well didn't we?

I don't think we should rush into anything at the mo. regardless of who has sent CV's in all ready. Other managers could be released after the season is over.

Why can't we give them all a weeks trail?

I don't think we should rush into anything at the mo. regardless of who has sent CV's in all ready. Other managers could be released after the season is over.

Why can't we give them all a weeks trail?

I think most of them will be wanting to give us a weeks trial, when they know what their budget is likely to be next season!!

I stopped reading after there...

Joe wouldn't have been sacked...would he?

Final 1983/1984 English Division 2 (old) Table P HW HD HL HGF HGA AW AD AL AGF AGA Points GD

Chelsea 42 15 4 2 55 17 10 9 2 35 23 88 +50

Sheff Wed 42 16 4 1 47 16 10 6 5 25 18 88 +38

Newcastle 42 16 2 3 51 18 8 6 7 34 35 80 +32

Man City 42 13 3 5 43 21 7 7 7 23 27 70 +18

Grimsby 42 13 6 2 36 15 6 7 8 24 32 70 +13

Blackburn 42 9 11 1 35 19 8 5 8 22 27 67 +11

Carlisle 42 10 9 2 29 13 6 7 8 19 28 64 +7

Shrewsbury 42 13 5 3 34 18 4 5 12 15 35 61 -4

Brighton 42 11 6 4 42 17 6 3 12 27 43 60 +9

Leeds 42 13 4 4 33 16 3 8 10 22 40 60 -1

Fulham 42 9 6 6 35 24 6 6 9 25 29 57 +7

Huddersfield 42 8 6 7 27 20 6 9 6 29 29 57 +7

Charlton 42 13 4 4 40 26 3 5 13 13 38 57 -11

Barnsley 42 9 6 6 33 23 6 1 14 24 30 52 +4

Cardiff 42 11 3 7 32 27 4 3 14 21 39 51 -13

Portsmouth 42 8 3 10 46 32 6 4 11 27 32 49 +9

Middlesbro 42 9 8 4 26 18 3 5 13 15 29 49 -6

C Palace 42 8 5 8 18 18 4 6 11 24 34 47 -10

Oldham 42 10 6 5 33 27 3 2 16 14 46 47 -26

Derby 42 9 5 7 26 26 2 4 15 10 46 42 -36

Swansea 42 7 4 10 20 28 0 4 17 16 57 29 -49

Cambridge U 42 4 7 10 20 33 0 5 16 8 44 24 -49

Joe's advantage was the internet wasn't around to give people the opportunity to 'discuss' his managerial skills.