25 years ago today

56 people went to a football match to celebrate their club being promoted and never came home. RIP. Never forgotten.

If you can afford to,the best way you can pay your respects is to donate to the Bradford Burns Unit. It was set up after the fire and pioneered new treatment for burns victims, but is now suffering a shortage of funding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8668479.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bradford/hi/pe...000/8659492.stm

RIP to those involved.

I want to make a related point- this fire was probably started by a cigarette, so all those on here that smoke in football grounds, please consider the consequences of doing so.

I want to make a related point- this fire was probably started by a cigarette, so all those on here that smoke in football grounds, please consider the consequences of doing so.

In wooden football stands with shed loads of rubbish underneath them that is.

Absolutely no consequences of smoking in league grounds nowadays as it won't catch. Well other than you'll give yourself cancer, but each to their own on that one.

In wooden football stands with shed loads of rubbish underneath them that is.

Absolutely no consequences of smoking in league grounds nowadays as it won't catch. Well other than you'll give yourself cancer, but each to their own on that one.

This is true, it was a powder keg and most people over the age of 7 smoked in those days. Still, it's a decent way to acknowlege it in a relevant way with a few pounds and I will do so when I am on a less evil computer. I have always been a bit haunted by the way it took them weeks to decide if something was a corpse or a melted plastic sheet, that brought home the horror of it.

I have always been a bit haunted by the way it took them weeks to decide if something was a corpse or a melted plastic sheet, that brought home the horror of it.

It's horrible little details like that, that make you realise just how gruesome it must have been in that stand. One of the nurses who was on duty that day was on the radio the other week and described how they were puzzled at first because so many people were coming in with their hands on their heads. It turned out that people were trying to cover their heads and faces from the burning debris that was falling from the roof, and the skin on their hands basically melted. You wonder how people would ever recover mentally from something like that.

• 2 years later...