Barry Owen role in the club

Forte_Baby

On the basis of this style of repreentation, you have to accept that you will not agree with everything that is done, and may strongly disagree, but unless their is someone else who you think would have better judgement then you are stuck with who you've got.

Oh, and in a cheeky chappy moment I would suggest that in the above circumstance you would still have the opportunity to vote out the disagreeable incumbent!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bit about Parliament is pertinent, but I would argue in favour of my point. The Freedom of Information Act puts the majority of information into the public domain unless there is a compelling reason that it shouldn't be. FoI applies to public bodies. It doesn't apply to OAFC, so that point is moot.

I'd say that the fundamental issue is that the info that you reference in the first paragraph is highly unlikely to impact on the club - both Stockport, Exeter and Ebbsfleet have all got fans associations in place and I don't think any of those have struggled due to the availability of the information. Stockport are in trouble because the fans overspent and Ebbsfleet because interest in the My Football Club concept faded with little or no real link to the club. They may have Trust/ Fans groups running them, but they don't spill every detail of board meetings, just as at Latics. They are no doubt, run by a board of ssome sort which abides by the same rules of governance.

In any event, what you say has merit but I would suggest that maybe it is proof that the concept of having this fan on the board is outmoded anyway. We know that a 3% stake buys you nothing by way of influence, so should we not pull the guy out of the boardroom and instead remodel the Trust into a sort of auditor of the club? In that way the Trust can use the 3% stake to examine the books, to sit in on Council meetings, to be consulted on major projects such as the stadium - but with a panel of appropriate members being appointed on a case-by-case basis rather than one man who we place all our faith in? I would reference that the recent visit by two members of this site to view the books was received with far greater trust and interest than any of Barry Owen's disseminations. Not, I stress, that this is an attack on BO but rather that a group approach with more open access for more people who have a bit of knowledge about the subject is more reliable than being told that "it's okay, I'm one of you and I think it is okay".

The last bit is a good point - an alternative way to involve fans/the trust. The key would still be confidentiality, which is not what many fans want, but is the way that business has to be done. You can see the trust as either an Animal Liberation Front type outsider group, or a National Farmers Union type insider group. The current approach is the latter, but with the access, influence and information comes the requirement to keep confidences and behave reasonably.

I'm sure these sort of changes could be proposed by trust members, at the AGM. The problem is that many people want to change/complain about the trust without being members. It's rather bizarre.

As for the election comment, they have had them, for members, so BO could have been voted out. That is the way the Trust is constituted and that is based on members wishes when it was formed.

As for the election comment, they have had them, for members, so BO could have been voted out. That is the way the Trust is constituted and that is based on members wishes when it was formed.

Do we know this to be true though? We are still waiting to hear how Barry was re-elected and if it complied with the Trust constitution. How was the process advertised, was he nominated via due process if required, who was in charge of the election process, did Barry himself stand aside from managing the process? All that was mentioned about it on here was an announcement of the results and certain Trust Directors telling us that Barry is the only person who could do the job. This does not inspire confidence in me, but this could be fixed if someone were to provide details of how the process ran. If this is not possible I may join and request the information formally, as I want to know how the custodian of the shareholding I helped pay for got his position.

Do we know this to be true though? We are still waiting to hear how Barry was re-elected and if it complied with the Trust constitution. How was the process advertised, was he nominated via due process if required, who was in charge of the election process, did Barry himself stand aside from managing the process? All that was mentioned about it on here was an announcement of the results and certain Trust Directors telling us that Barry is the only person who could do the job. This does not inspire confidence in me, but this could be fixed if someone were to provide details of how the process ran. If this is not possible I may join and request the information formally, as I want to know how the custodian of the shareholding I helped pay for got his position.

Let's face it how long should it take to answer the questions asked about the election process/constitution ? the silence is deafening from the trust !!

Let's face it how long should it take to answer the questions asked about the election process/constitution ? the silence is deafening from the trust !!

We meet next week. I have written an article for the website that I will put up once I have cleared it with the rest, as there are elements of this that I would like to discuss at the next meeting.

But in order to answer questions regarding the position of chair, the chair of Trust Oldham is elected to his or her position by the directors.

As for the 'deafening silence' jolly, I am not employed by the Trust full time. I will reply as and when I can.

We meet next week. I have written an article for the website that I will put up once I have cleared it with the rest, as there are elements of this that I would like to discuss at the next meeting.

But in order to answer questions regarding the position of chair, the chair of Trust Oldham is elected to his or her position by the directors.

As for the 'deafening silence' jolly, I am not employed by the Trust full time. I will reply as and when I can.

Don't confuse criticism of the overall position with criticism of your attempts to bring clarity to it Carl. It's a fact that it is shambolic that the Trust as an organisation can't find a reply to these questions quickly and easily, it is to your credit that you are trying to find and publish the answers. I can't personally see why anyone involved wouldn't give all the information requested as a matter of course but then sometimes people need a little nudge here or there to get them moving.

My recollection (from when I used to take an interest in trust matters and was a member) is that all the board stood for election, with votes from all members; the board vote on the trust rep member on latics board.

It's a good way to avoid getting an idiot on the club board - you rely on the judgement of those you have elected to choose am appropriate club board member.

My recollection (from when I used to take an interest in trust matters and was a member) is that all the board stood for election, with votes from all members; the board vote on the trust rep member on latics board.

It's a good way to avoid getting an idiot on the club board - you rely on the judgement of those you have elected to choose am appropriate club board member.

I stand to be corrected, but I fear you are wide of the mark re: current arrangements. As far as I see it you become a Trust Director by asking to be. I don't think the membership play any role in appointing Directors, and therefore they have no role in the Directors' vote in who is appointed Chairman. If there is a vote. No doubt all will be revealed shortly. I tried to join tonight, not sure if I managed with Paypal having a bit of a fit.

I stand to be corrected, but I fear you are wide of the mark re: current arrangements. As far as I see it you become a Trust Director by asking to be. I don't think the membership play any role in appointing Directors, and therefore they have no role in the Directors' vote in who is appointed Chairman. If there is a vote. No doubt all will be revealed shortly. I tried to join tonight, not sure if I managed with Paypal having a bit of a fit.

Chairman no, directors yes.

As I said before, the chair of Trust Oldham must be a director on the trust board, and is elected to his position by other trust directors.

Trust members can nominate a candidate onto the board of directors at a AGM. The candidate must also be a trust member, and be nominated by at least two other trust members.

However, directors can also co opt a trust member onto the board of trust directors. As far as 'you become a trust director by asking to be', this is not the whole case. We have 9 active directors on board at the moment. Far from a full ship. However, when we decide whether to co opt people, at the moment that is heavily dictated by what people can bring to the table.

Will try to reply to any other queries later on today

As I said before, the chair of Trust Oldham must be a director on the trust board, and is elected to his position by other trust directors.

Trust members can nominate a candidate onto the board of directors at a AGM. The candidate must also be a trust member, and be nominated by at least two other trust members.

However, directors can also co opt a trust member onto the board of trust directors. As far as 'you become a trust director by asking to be', this is not the whole case. We have 9 active directors on board at the moment. Far from a full ship. However, when we decide whether to co opt people, at the moment that is heavily dictated by what people can bring to the table.

Am I right in thinking then, that if the Trust members were to vote Barry off the Trust board, the directors could simply decide to stick him back on?

Thanks Carl. As you seem to be the man pulling the information together, would it be possible to find out which of the current Directors were elected following nomination by members at the last AGM and which were co-opted?

Thanks Carl. As you seem to be the man pulling the information together, would it be possible to find out which of the current Directors were elected following nomination by members at the last AGM and which were co-opted?

Mike Nuttall

Richard Attwood

Simon Colebrook

Jeff Blackburn

All were the elected after being nominated by members

As for the membership, I will check the account for a receipt from the website memership tool cheers.

Links added to the Trust Site

Mike Nuttall

Richard Attwood

Simon Colebrook

Jeff Blackburn

All were the elected after being nominated by members

As for the membership, I will check the account for a receipt from the website memership tool cheers.

Links added to the Trust Site

And before that, myself and Mark Corbett were co-opted by existing directors in August 2006.

Am I right in thinking then, that if the Trust members were to vote Barry off the Trust board, the directors could simply decide to stick him back on?

If he was voted off, it would be the directors who voted him off. Hence why would the same directors want to simply 'stick him back on' if we decided we wanted to vote him off?

If he was voted off, it would be the directors who voted him off. Hence why would the same directors want to simply 'stick him back on' if we decided we wanted to vote him off?

So the members have no opportunity to un-elect him or anyone else?

Still don't see what your getting at. Trust members do not have the opportunity to elect/unelect the chair anyway, as I explained before. That power lies only with the directors, and any potential new chair would also be an existing director on the Trust board.

yes - members can opt to join the board and work within the trust and nominate the position of the chair !

The chair is elected from the serving directors ! The position is that of trust and role responsibility and can not be freely given by the trust board to a member without due diligence !

yes - members can opt to join the board and work within the trust and nominate the position of the chair !

The chair is elected from the serving directors ! The position is that of trust and role responsibility and can not be freely given by the trust board to a member without due diligence !

Genuine question then, am I right to take from that that Barry is Chairman for as long as his fellow Trust directors don't turn on him and that non directorial members have no opportunity to remove someone like Barry from the Trust board.

N.B. I'm picking on Barry, as the main Trust figure and the one whose position is most likely to be challenged.

Still don't see what your getting at. Trust members do not have the opportunity to elect/unelect the chair anyway, as I explained before. That power lies only with the directors, and any potential new chair would also be an existing director on the Trust board.

I think Stevie's point is that that the membership have no effective role at all in the appointment of officials and no apparent recourse if they don't like it. NB, "join the board and make a difference," is the worst conceivable answer to this point.

I think Stevie's point is that that the membership have no effective role at all in the appointment of officials and no apparent recourse if they don't like it. NB, "join the board and make a difference," is the worst conceivable answer to this point.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. I had mistakenly thought from past discussion that there were opportunities for the Trust membership to vote someone off the Trust but that no one knew about them and, consequently, no one turned up at the relevant meetings. However, I'm disappointed to hear that one would have to become a director in order to effect any such change. Nice job if you can get it!

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. I had mistakenly thought from past discussion that there were opportunities for the Trust membership to vote someone off the Trust but that no one knew about them and, consequently, no one turned up at the relevant meetings. However, I'm disappointed to hear that one would have to become a director in order to effect any such change. Nice job if you can get it!

Have a look at the guidelines here