Huddlestone

Parker

Wright-Phillips

Rooney

Crouch

Heskey

Defoe

Bent

Bolded players to go, leave the others behind.

I think my risk is going with 5 strikers (if you call Heskey a striker) might leave the midfield lacking solidity.

Any improvements on this folks?

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From that Dawson out, Upson in. Bent out, and one of Huddlestone or Carrick in. Need another defensive midfielder if Barry is so iffy.

The only problem being that neither of those two are especially of that ilk; the only one being Parker - but I think there's as much chance of me getting the chance to measure up page 3 girls as there is of Parker getting his dream come true.

Green

Hart

James

A Cole

Ferdinand

Terry

Johnson

Baines

King

Carragher

Upson

Gerrard

Barry

Lampard

Walcott

Milner

Cole

Carrick

Wright-Phillips

Rooney

Crouch

Defoe

Bent

I bet Parker must be gutted to watch his world cup dream shattered as he more or less kept West Ham up on his own, i would also play Ledley King before Terry if he remains fit.

My starting 11 would be: Hart

Johnson Ferdinand King A.Cole

Milner Lampard Barry J.Cole

Gerrard

Rooney

All depends on Barry being fit though.

I'd be surprised if (barring injury) the starting eleven isn't:

GK: Green

LB: Cole

RB: Johnson

CB: Terry

CB: Ferdinand

DMC: Barry

AMC: Lampard

LM: Gerrard

RM: Walcott

CF: Rooney

CF: Crouch

I think that's the team Capello would pick.

I'd probably go for Lennon over Walcott. But I suspect both will play most games, and rarely be on the pitch at the same time! There is also the Milner factor (against stronger opposition).

From that Dawson out, Upson in. Bent out, and one of Huddlestone or Carrick in. Need another defensive midfielder if Barry is so iffy.

Ledley King? Jamie Carragher?

Edited by opinions4u

Green

Hart

James

A Cole

Ferdinand

Terry

Johnson

Baines

King

Dawson

Carragher

Warnock

Upson

Gerrard

Barry (if fit) else Huddlestone

Lampard

Lennon

Walcott

Milner

Cole

Johnson

Carrick

Parker

Wright-Phillips

Rooney

Crouch

Heskey

Defoe

Bent

Edited by oafc0000

Ledley King? Jamie Carragher?

Well Carragher just isn't a midfielder.

King, granted has played there before and done well - but he himself carries his own risks, and certainly can't be depended upon to play two games in a number of days.

I just think we need the depth there more than a forward, where if we are running low we can shove Gerrard up to play 'in the hole' <cough>.

Well Carragher just isn't a midfielder.

Agreed... Although in a an emergency situation Carragher could step in and fill the void some what...

For me Carragher would be one of my certain to go's... Just due to the number of positions he can cover...

Edited by oafc0000

For me Carragher would be one of my certain to go's... Just due to the number of positions he can cover...

After the season he's had, he shouldn't really be in contention (ignoring the fact he'd "retired").

But like you I think that versatility is important.

After the season he's had, he shouldn't really be in contention (ignoring the fact he'd "retired").

But like you I think that versatility is important.

The only irony is that the retired player he managed to talk into coming back was the past it donkey rather than the wizard in midfield.

I have to say i don't understand Scholes' reasoning on this one. It's not prolonging his career any further by not going.

NB. I too would take Carragher for the reasons given by your good selves.

The only irony is that the retired player he managed to talk into coming back was the past it donkey rather than the wizard in midfield.

I have to say i don't understand Scholes' reasoning on this one. It's not prolonging his career any further by not going.

NB. I too would take Carragher for the reasons given by your good selves.

On first thoughts I wouldn't even have Scholes in contention. But when you look at the possibility of no Barry, there's not a lot of grit in the middle of the park and he suddenly becomes the obvious candidate.

Well, the seniors have been shown how to do it by the U17's today.

The first 'mens' tournament we've won in nigh on 20 years.

Connor Wickham does look a hell of a prospect.

NB. I don't think I'm getting at all ahead of myself in saying that he'll be partnering Rooney up front for England in three or four years. Well, maybe a little bit.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

james

green

hart

johnson

terry

ferdinand

a cole

carragher

baines

king

upson

lennon

lampard

gerrard

barry (if not parker or carrick, cant decide)

johnson

milner

walcott

j cole

rooney

crouch

defoe

heskey

please play gerrard behind rooney, or in a free role :pray:

Green

Hart

James

A Cole

Ferdinand

Terry

G Johnson

Baines

King

Carragher

Dawson

Warnock

Upson

Gerrard

Barry

Lampard

Lennon

Walcott

Milner

Parker (my choice - Capello won't take him though)

A Johnson

J Cole

Carrick

Huddlestone

Wright-Phillips

Rooney

Crouch

Heskey

Defoe

Bent

Hart

Green

James

Cole A.

Ferdinand

Terry

G. Johnson

Carragher

King

Baines

Gerrard

Lampard

Barry

Walcott

Lennon

Cole J.

Milner

Huddlestone

A. Johnson

Rooney

Crouch

Defoe

Bent

Gone for 9 in midfield because with Carragher going you can leave behind a defender (plus Milner has played RB, Barry has played LB and Huddlestone has played CH) and it gives us more options (especially if Barry is not quite 100%- if he close enough he goes). Left out Heskey as he only got in the team because he plays so well with Rooney and if Crouch is missing I'd play similarly to how they started the second half. Bent goes because he does actually score goals which might be needed off the bench (if Defoe is already playing/unable to come on).

I don't think Capello will be of the same mindset as me though and Barry won't go if he ain't 100%, Heskey will go (Bent staying) and A. Johnson will stay with Upson going.

Edited by rudemedic

Can't see why so many people take Walcott over SWP. Walcott is something of a disappointment, very naive and lightweight, no conviction. Where as SWP always looks a threat and generally plays well for England every time he appears, even if he's a sub he usually has some influence on the game.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Gerrard, J Cole, Carrick, Barry, Walcott, Lennon - going to need a big treatment room for the midfield! I think we have to take an extra body or two there even if it means a chance of one of the midfielders dropping into defence rather than the other way around. Gerrard, Barry and Milner could all play FB no problem if required, Carragher in midfield? Takes me back to the last game that squeaky and morally suspect weirdo was in charge.

Can't see why so many people take Walcott over SWP. Walcott is something of a disappointment, very naive and lightweight, no conviction. Where as SWP always looks a threat and generally plays well for England every time he appears, even if he's a sub he usually has some influence on the game.

He looks great but produces nothing really... Its one thing beating your man but if the cross is poor or the shot is tame its no use. I think with Walcott he does have it in him to produce that bit of special. I think he is a big game player, I can see him doing well in the World Cup.

He looks great but produces nothing really... Its one thing beating your man but if the cross is poor or the shot is tame its no use. I think with Walcott he does have it in him to produce that bit of special. I think he is a big game player, I can see him doing well in the World Cup.

agree

he will go because on his day he could win us a match on his own

he is capable of 'doing a croatia' again, or it could change to 'doing a spain' or whoever it may be in the world cup final 2010 :blink:

You say that, but Walcott was the only player who impressed me in the first half against Japan.

Very few people would argue that Lennon and Walcott don't belong ahead of SWP in the pecking order. And for me Walcott plays everytime. Not least because I think he will continue to improve as he gains experience, but at present he is fearless, he works hard and defenders hate playing against him. If we have a good run at the world cup, I expect him (and Rooney) to be at the heart of it.

SWP is just unlucky that there ar two pacey Right Wingers who have the edge over him, and they are both fit. If one of them was left footed, they might all be going.

Walcott, Lennon or Wright-Phillips? Yep, it's a tough one. You'd like to take all three, but I'd actually leave Walcott behind. I feel Lennon offers a bit more variety than Walcott and, if needs be, SWP can play on the left, something the other two can't. I'd also make Hart first choice between the sticks after the season he's had. I'd also give Heskey his bus fare home. Along with Crouch, Defoe, Bent & Rooney, Joe Cole can slot in behind the front man if needed as a real attacking threat as well as play wide left / right, so you've plenty of options without taking the donkey. Really feel sorry for Parker though (no, not THAT Parker!), he's had a great season WHU.

Now for a bit of controversy - am I the only one who doesn't think Ferdinand has earned his place? Injuries, 4 match ban for violent conduct, missed a drug test and goes on record as saying it's been his worst ever season AFTER being made England skipper. I just don't think he's solid enough. Is it me?

Edited by Bristolatic

People are calling our players spoilt!?

From the BBC:

It's all kicking off in the Mexican camp. They left out Barca youngster Jonathan from their 23-man squad, much to the disgust of big brother Giovani, who is on the plane. Here's the duo's dad, former Brazilian footballer Zizinho: "Gio is very hurt and he wants to be at home with us. We don't know if he will play in the World Cup or not."

:blink: