England World Cup Squad

People are calling our players spoilt!?

From the BBC:

It's all kicking off in the Mexican camp. They left out Barca youngster Jonathan from their 23-man squad, much to the disgust of big brother Giovani, who is on the plane. Here's the duo's dad, former Brazilian footballer Zizinho: "Gio is very hurt and he wants to be at home with us. We don't know if he will play in the World Cup or not."

:blink:

Tottenham reject :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green

Hart

James

A Cole

Ferdinand

Terry

Johnson

Baines

King

Dawson

Carragher

Warnock

Upson

Gerrard

Barry

Lampard

Lennon

Walcott

Milner

Cole

Johnson

Carrick

Huddlestone

Parker

Wright-Phillips

Rooney

Crouch

Heskey

Defoe

Bent

Edited by aidan_latics

Also from the BBC - for those of you stupid enough to watch the World Cup with your Wife and/or Girlfriend then I'd suggest you force them to watch these first, as it might prevent you maiming them with a bottle of Carling when they ask for the eleventh time what the hell is going on...

Mark Watson's Guide To The World Cup

If you call your wife/girlfriend a 404 I suspect you may have plenty of time alone to watch whatever you want.

1250: If that Darren Bent story is true and if Fabio Capello is working his way through the players positionally, then we're desperately close to an official announcement. If he's doing it alphabetically, we're not even remotely near. Is this the most uselessly speculative entry yet?

:lol:

Walcott def out

We can confirm that Theo Walcott has been omitted by Fabio Capello. Meanwhile the plot thickens below as the Northern Echo suggest Manchester City winger Adam Johnson is not in the squad either, while NOTW's Neil Ashton is now saying Shaun Wright-Phillips has made the final 23.

Both Baines and Walcott played themselves out of the squad with their performances against Mexico and Japan (for Walcott). Just seeing Baines against Mexico confirmed to me that international level is a stretch too far for him. He looked shakey no composure and made some bad decisions. After that he didn't even need to see Warnock to know he's a better option.

Glad to see me Capello are on the same wavelength when it comes to Walcott, no end product, no conviction. SWP all the way.

I'm afraid I can't envisage SWP coming on and turning a match for england either, but his experience and marginally better end product give him the nod over Walcott, who has just looked completely out of his depth in his last few England appearances. Lennon is streets ahead of both of them.

I reckon Bent will retire from international.

He can't do anything more to get into the England squad. In 2006 he was the top scoring English striker and was left out for a 17 year old with no Premiership experience. This season he's the 3rd top scorer in the Premiership and has been omitted for a fat guy who scored 3 times. We don't need Heskey, we have Peter Crouch to be the big awkward freak these days, and he scores. Heskey will contribute nothing.

Bent just hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip and in both World Cup seasons he's come up trumps in the Premiership.

If he hasn't been picked these two times around when he's prime, it's unlikely he'll make the squad the next time. He should just forget about England and concentrate on his club, no point travelling half way around Europe in the qualifiers, just to sit on the bench and miss out in the finals.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

So much for Capello picking players who are playing regularly and are in form. Adam Johnson is keeping SWP out of the City team. Heskey is a bench warmer at Villa.

Yet our second most in form player is waved off. If any striker should have been sweating on his place (other than Heskey) it should have been Defoe. No goals in his final 12 Premiership games as well as being injured for a period.