Christened this yet?

Dave_Og

I thought several places claimed the first fish and chip shop.

Plus, I thought the Oldham claim was based on a shop in Yorkshire street, not Tommyfield. Just a thought. I don't want to spoil anyone's tea. Do they do gravy?

I thought several places claimed the first fish and chip shop.

Plus, I thought the Oldham claim was based on a shop in Yorkshire street, not Tommyfield. Just a thought. I don't want to spoil anyone's tea. Do they do gravy?

Fish and chips through the ages

The first mention of fried fish was in Charles Dickens novel, Oliver Twist, which was published in 1837. Then in the 1850s, street traders sold pieces of fried fish and cooked ‘shaved’ potatoes in newspapers on the streets and alleys of London. Joseph Malin was said to have opened the first fish and chip shop back in the 1860s and Mr John Lees opened the first fish and chip shop outside London in Mossley, near Ashton in Cheshire in 1863.

source : seafish.org

Mossley, near Ashton in Cheshire :huh:

Fish and chips through the ages

The first mention of fried fish was in Charles Dickens novel, Oliver Twist, which was published in 1837. Then in the 1850s, street traders sold pieces of fried fish and cooked ‘shaved’ potatoes in newspapers on the streets and alleys of London. Joseph Malin was said to have opened the first fish and chip shop back in the 1860s and Mr John Lees opened the first fish and chip shop outside London in Mossley, near Ashton in Cheshire in 1863.

source : seafish.org

Mossley, near Ashton in Cheshire :huh:

The first fish and chip shop in the North of England is thought to have opened in Mossely, near Oldham, Lancashire, around 1863. Mr Lees sold fish and chips from a wooden hut in the market and later he transferred the business to a permanent shop across the road which had the following inscription in the window, “This is the first fish and chip shop in the world”.

However in London, it is said that Joseph Malin opened a fish and chip shop in Cleveland Street within the sound of Bow Bells in 1860.

source : historic-uk.com

The first fish and chip shop in the North of England is thought to have opened in Mossely, near Oldham, Lancashire, around 1863. Mr Lees sold fish and chips from a wooden hut in the market and later he transferred the business to a permanent shop across the road which had the following inscription in the window, “This is the first fish and chip shop in the world”.

However in London, it is said that Joseph Malin opened a fish and chip shop in Cleveland Street within the sound of Bow Bells in 1860.

source : historic-uk.com

I've alwasy had Tommyfield down as the first chip shop and Mossley down as the first fish and chip shop. Always seemed odd to me - I'd have thought somewhere on the coast would have been first.

I've alwasy had Tommyfield down as the first chip shop and Mossley down as the first fish and chip shop. Always seemed odd to me - I'd have thought somewhere on the coast would have been first.

it was -

The first chip shop stood on the present site of Oldham's Tommyfield Market

tommyfield.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have been to The Tommyfield this evening for a bite after work. The food was really good. It's about £10-12 for a meal and the portions were pretty large. Plenty of ale's and beers on tap. Also a vast improvement inside compared to it used to be laid out when it was The White Hart.