My Letter to The Oldham Chronicle

Mr Paul Prendergast

Chadderton

Oldham

Dear Sir,

I would like to convey my exasperation at the Clayton NIMBYS, again threatening to scupper Oldham Athletic’s plans to progress. The new development is a chance to regenerate land around Boundary Park that has been a festering windswept eyesore for years. Whilst I appreciate the residents may have to venture further to walk their darling little mutts, surely this development will be for the good of the area. The land is of good quality and has real estate value, oh and if the Football Club did go out of business the paper clip counters up at the Civic Centre approved planning permission for 100’s of houses years ago when they bought the ground back off the club in the late 1990’s. Of course the ground is now owned by the club’s owners but as far as I know that planning application will still be current and binding.

This development is a real chance to put Oldham on the map, the facilities will be superb for the football club, a high quality hotel which the town has a shortage of, a health club of which there are only two in the town that I deem to be of suitable standard and of course the key worker housing which will give hundreds of people the chance to purchase an affordable home. If the development doesn’t go ahead because of a few people’s short-sightedness it would be a disaster for a Football Club that has existed for 112 years, and for 100 years on its present site.

The objections to this development are incandescent of the attitudes of a townsfolk that has stood by and let their town die. We’ve lost our only cinema, countless swimming pools, an architecturally superb old town hall that’s been moth-balled for years, oh and the railway warehouse fiasco….anyone got a quid!? Then of course the same Oldhamers sat back and let their Rugby club die, they gained a second chance yet still don’t support their local team. But of course the biggest travesty was the town sitting back and letting our jewel in the crown be destroyed bit by bit…..Tommyfield, a world famous landmark that has been allowed to drift into history.

I suggest the Clayton Nimby’s focus their attentions on the council slowly eroding the Clayton ‘Town Green’ by the back door. Pubs and car garages ring a bell? Believe me it is only a matter of time. Concentrate on saving the Clayton dog toilet and let the rest of the land OWNED by the club be brought into the 21st Century.

Yours Faithfully

Mr. Paul Prendergast

Guest sheridans_world

Interestnig, well written, different slant to mine.

I think that every time an article is published in the chron that so much sniffs at opposing the redevelopment one of us should write a letter back pulling it to pieces. Thier arguements will always stay the same as will ours. We have the power to stop them being repetitive, as shown above. If we are clever about this we can make people think they are reading it for the first time!

When did you send it in, Paul?

I think we all would agree with your sentiment mate - but good luck with getting that one printed!!!

As I say - spot on though.... the town needs the resources, and the hospital definitely needs the housing... perhaps the local residents would back it if they fell ill one day and found that the hospital which they live next door to had no nurses as none could find an affordable house...

It is pathetic, people with notjing better to do do than try to stop the future of our club and the town.... the worse thing is it is probably only two or three people that really care (past it morons, who still think its 1960) and they just manipulate the rest of the statistics...

I have no doubt permission will still go through - but it is so annoying....

Anyone go to the 'residents' meeting on Friday?

Alarming how they held it at The Clayton Arms when they arew so opposed to the 'outline' plans.

I've never met a stranger group of people in my entire life.

Residents of Downham Close refering to Covenants on Latics Car Park that could 'stop the whole thing dead in it's tracks'

Then there is the old man who claims to have bought/buying the land next to the Clayton Green where the old farm used to be so that the access road can't be built.

Remember - Change is not good, or so it seems!!!!

ROAM

Lets just say that the worst scenario of all occurred in a few years. Obviously a very hypothetical situation at present but if we did end up disappearing and the ground was knocked down, what do these people think would happen.

A big plot of land, vast in acres just left untouched because it is what suits them?

Or would the land be built on, with even more homes than our development would have ever included?

I think we all know the answer.

They're fighting a battle they'll never win. If it isn't us, it'll be sold on and someone with much bigger ideas will get the land and do it and I doubt someone with a bit of land will stop them.

Lets just say that the worst scenario of all occurred in a few years. Obviously a very hypothetical situation at present but if we did end up disappearing and the ground was knocked down, what do these people think would happen.

A big plot of land, vast in acres just left untouched because it is what suits them?

Or would the land be built on, with even more homes than our development would have ever included?

I think we all know the answer.

They're fighting a battle they'll never win. If it isn't us, it'll be sold on and someone with much bigger ideas will get the land and do it and I doubt someone with a bit of land will stop them.

Doesn't matter what you own, the council can slap a CPO on it, if they deem the building/piece of land vital to regeneration, ask the residents of Werneth and Derker, slightly different I know, but the same rules apply. Anyhow smoozing with the right peole at the highways agency will take care of that smug old git and his piece of land! Probably another reeason why Hillstone and Ian Hill are on board. A large contractor and a land and property expert.

Edited by oafcprozac

Senor Coconut (Proud Oldhamer) also had his letter published.

Here is the Chron's version of the Resident's Meeting:-

Revolt over Latics’ flats

RESIDENTS pack into the Clayton Arms to share their concerns over Latics’ plans

by Richard Hooton

RESIDENTS turned out in force to voice their concerns about Oldham Athletic’s plans to build 620 flats to help finance a stadium revamp.

Residents Together organised a meeting at the Clayton Arms on Friday to enable worried neighbours to unite in condemning the proposed residential development.

The group stressed that they are Latics fans and have no opposition to the club improving its facilities — but feel the proposals for the apartments, alongside 140 key worker houses and a hotel, have to be changed to address fears.

A survey by the group showed that 98 per cent of the 131 householders who replied were against the plans with 99 per cent feeling it would be detrimental to local residents.

However, Latics chiefs have made clear that without the residential development going ahead they will be unable to afford the stadium redevelopment and the club’s fortunes would dwindle.

More than 130 people attended the meeting and were unanimous in saying that the towering seven storey high blocks of flats and the increase in people and traffic they will bring will have a devastating impact on the area.

One resident said he had bought private land at the bottom of Furtherwood Road to protect access to his property and he would never sell it to make way for a proposed road extension to Chadderton Way.

And legal advisers are looking into a covenant on Downham Close that controls the redevelopment of near-by car parks and could also scupper the plans.

Residents spoke of how the large increase in traffic will cause total gridlock, that the influx of people will put pressure on services such as healthcare and schools and that the blocks of flats will overshadow their homes.

Residents Together spokeswoman Linda Brooks, who chaired the meeting, said: “Members are not against Latics. We are staunch Latics fans who want to see them do well on and off the pitch.

“Our concerns are about being the Latics’ immediate neighbours and the scope of the residential development.

“I love having Latics as a neighbour but as a neighbour Latics have to respect us as well.”

Royton councillors Stephen Bashforth and Phil Harrison attended the meeting to answer questions and give advice on the planning process.

The residents are to write individually to the council to raise their objections while a management committee of the residents group will be formed to help achieve their aims.

Councillor Bashforth revealed at the meeting that residents on Carlton Way, near Boundary Park, are to get a residents‚ parking scheme in a bid to prevent parking problems.

Residents have long been angered by being unable to park near their properties.

Spot on RBL, if Latics can't build on the land they will be forced to sell it off and just keep the stadium section... if that happens these supposedly all powerful residents will suddenly have to fight off Barratt Homes building a ten story block with Belfour Beaty sticking a 4 lane road thru to reduce conjestion on the roadabout at the retail park.

If these people want to try and compete with politcal power of those companies then good luck to them, but I'll certainly be loving it when they lose out! They'll have lost out not only on the club and the facilites it provides but also on the chance to have a REAL say in what happens and not just a moan about it.

The more you read about these people the less respect you have for them.

Doesn't matter what you own, the council can slap a CPO on it, if they deem the building/piece of land vital to regeneration, ask the residents of Werneth and Derker, slightly different I know, but the same rules apply. Anyhow smoozing with the right peole at the highways agency will take care of that smug old git and his piece of land!

And they will do.

If they look at it long term our plans might be a lesser of two evils for them. The housing market is also doing a belting trade at the minute. What better time to buggar off and get a new house before as they reckon "the valuations of their properties drop". :grin:

They'll have lost out not only on the club and the facilites it provides but also on the chance to have a REAL say in what happens and not just a moan about it.

That is actually something that grates with me too. They had a genuine chance to have a say in what was going on. They seemed to have gone in dead set against it. The end. No alternative ideas offered at all. Just we don't want this to happen.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Guest sheridans_world

Seriously people, great stuff coming out of these forums, i for one will be responding to every single letter printed in the chronicle and if no one else uses this material i will do!

And they will do.

If they look at it long term our plans might be a lesser of two evils for them. The housing market is also doing a belting trade at the minute. What better time to buggar off and get a new house before as they reckon "the valuations of their properties drop". :grin:

That is actually something that grates with me too. They had a genuine chance to have a say in what was going on. They seemed to have gone in dead set against it. The end. No alternative ideas offered at all. Just we don't want this to happen.

Realised the soppy old git hasn't thought about little Wembley has he? We may need a small part of the Clayton car park, where the changing rooms are ( Some of this may be owned by the club anyway as the land all the way up to the first house on Sheepfoot lane is owned by the club, loads of options for an access roads! There'll be more than enough room (handy being a former QS 'aint it, And we own the access road at the side of the Clayton arms which takes you round to the car park! NIMBY's you have no chance!

Edited by oafcprozac

Residents have long been angered by being unable to park near their properties.

Then protest to the council about it and get IT sorted, and don't blame that on the club and their plans!

In our area the permit based parking was introduced and worked on the grounds that people used it to park for the 10 shops at the end of the road... so I'm sure that the 5000 people who come to Latics is reason enough to introduce it with or without the development!

I have lost all patience after reading that... "We support Latics" HOW?!? What do you suggest then Linda? This development will sustain the club - without it the prosects are stagnation and the land becoming useless (CAUSE: price drop on homes) or as before, the sale to someone who WILL get the permission they need no matter what the residents army of idiots choose to say or do.

Change is going to happen,

if Latics have to find a green/brown field site and sell the land - residents loose

if Latics keep the land and build in conjunction with the residents - residents 'loose'

if Latics don't build and can't move we will fall down the leagues and end up playing 4th division or conference football. At which point the club would be loosing too much money to maintain the ground and as such it would become an eye sore of decay... at which point (you've guessed it) the house prices fall and the RESIDENTS LOOSE!!!

For the love of God let the damn thing go ahead and benefit from it!!! FOOLS!!!

Seriously people, great stuff coming out of these forums, i for one will be responding to every single letter printed in the chronicle and if no one else uses this material i will do!

Anything of mine you want take... anything for the cause, as I don't get the Chron anyway!

Also, what we as fans could do is to talk to teams who have developed and get opinion of people local to those and see the benefits they have had to put forward to the club for submission to the powers that be - people on here must have contacts with other clubs supporters.

What does the trust have planned to help out (aside from some form of 'sponsored...')??

Why don't they contact other trusts of teams who've moved - such as Hull - and ask for assistance in contacting such people!? Ask for tips from what they did etc etc?

Realised the soppy old git hasn't thought about little Wembley has he? We may need a small part of the Clayton car park, where the changing rooms are ( Some of this may be owned by the club anyway as the land all the way up to the first house on Sheepfoot lane is owned by the club, loads of options for an access roads! There'll be more than enough room (handy being a former QS 'aint it, And we own the access road at the side of the Clayton arms which takes you round to the car park! NIMBY's you have no chance!

I reckon the access road will run diagnol from the hospital car park we own over the waste land that incorporates Darlington Transport over the back of the Rocky and through little Wembley with an exit onto Broadway/Sheepfoot Lane, and incorporating access to the existing residential roads. It will only be a standard two lane road I reckon, taking you in and out of the ground, smaller car park and new residentail area. Will be a bit of nightmare but so is Derby, Bolton etc... one road in, one out. Tough titties NIMBY's!

I had a brief flick through the application files that have now been uploaded onto the Planning pages (http://planning.oldham.gov.uk/planning/acolnetcgi.gov and search for boundary park, 053016/07 is the North Stand plan). It's about 900 pages long!!! But it has stuff in there extracted from Oldham Councils own planning guidance stuff and there is a chunk about how permission will be granted for leisure/sports centre stuff, even if there is local and environmental opposition.

See here - http://planning.oldham.gov.uk/AcolnetDocs/...les/51588_1.pdf and go to p.101 onwards. Makes quite good reading actually.