New York

opinions4u

Mrs o4u has come up with the idea of visiting New York.

Despite my attempts to claim poverty and work commitments, I've come to the conclusion that in the name of marital harmony I need to accept that this trip is going to happen at some stage.

So it's time to plan a trip for 3 adults and a 12 year old.

When is the best time to go (ideally between Sunday and Friday when there's no midweek Latics match - and it will need to be school holidays)?

How long should we go for?

What specific locations should we visit?

Where should we stay?

Where should we eat?

What other things do we need to know (e.g. tipping, other local customs etc, out of town attractions)?

Any visa requirements or port entry fees on arrival?

Can we get direct flights from Manchester, or is a trip to Heathrow required?

The good news is that I have around 20,000 Airmiles, which I reckon could do flights or hotel. The rest of the cost? Magic money at the moment - but she's no chance of a cruise next year as well as this!

Edited by opinions4u

Mrs o4u has come up with the idea of visiting New York.

Despite my attempts to claim poverty and work commitments, I've come to the conclusion that in the name of marital harmony I need to accept that this trip is going to happen at some stage.

So it's time to plan a trip for 3 adults and a 12 year old.

When is the best time to go (ideally between Sunday and Friday when there's no midweek Latics match - and it will need to be school holidays)?

How long should we go for?

What specific locations should we visit?

Where should we stay?

Where should we eat?

What other things do we need to know (e.g. tipping, other local customs etc, out of town attractions)?

Any visa requirements or port entry fees on arrival?

Can we get direct flights from Manchester, or is a trip to Heathrow required?

The good news is that I have around 20,000 Airmiles, which I reckon could do flights or hotel. The rest of the cost? Magic money at the moment - but she's no chance of a cruise next year as well as this!

I'm sure newyorkboss will be along to help you out!

I wrote this for my mates a while ago... Hope it helps...

Getting to and from the Airports in the New York is really easy. There is a set taxi fee of $45 each way to and from Manhattan including tolls. Do not forget to tip 10% plus about 1 to 2 dollars per bag.

DONT NOT GET IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN YELLOW CAB!!! There are taxi marshals at the airport who will sort you out at the TAXI RANK... Do not get lifts off anyone inside the terminal.. Go to the CLEARLY marked taxi rank outside the terminal. Unless you fancy being robbed on your first day that is..

To get back to airport flag down a yellow cab off the streets or find a taxi rank like they have outside of macys who will flag one down for you for a tip... Again, only get in licensed YELLOW cabs...

Most hotel rooms in NYC are small and I mean SMALL so dont be expecting much even if you have paid a lot :) Your not planning on staying in your room much anyway I would imagine :)

We bought this pass the couple of times we have been and we found it very useful. http://www.newyorkpass.com/

I am not convinced it actually works out all the much cheaper but what it does do is stop you from saying "is it worth $15 dollars each to do x,y and z" and instead you just swipe your card and do it. Changes your mindset and we found we was doing more stuff through having it. Your choice though. The best thing about the pass is you get to jump the ticket queues in a lot of instances. I will explain more later. The pass also resets itself every 24 hours. So you can do everything once every 24 hours.

Sights / Attractions

Empire State Building :- If you do anything you want to do this and you want to do it three times as well and dont forget your camera!!!... Go up during the day... Again during sun set and again at night (times square is amazing from the sky)... Each experience is really worth while (this is where pass comes in useful). If you buy your pass you get your tickets from the newspaper shop near by (its explained in the guide). You can also by pass the main queues further by using your pass to visit the New York Skyride on the second floor. The guy scans your card to enter the simulator but instead just puts you in the main queue for the lifts :) Its awesome.... and you get up quicker. Either way, by having your tickets already you should get up quicker. You will have to keep your eyes peeled on the day.

Top of the rock "Rockafella centre" - Go to the top of the Rockafella centre in one of the fastest lift you will ever go in. Its express up 80 floors or something and it has a glass roof and light show on the way up. Its awesome... And the view is even better... Looking down south towards the Empire State... Well worth it...

For both the above... If you get a clear day head for these two!!! Dont wait as NYC can cloud over....

Rockafella centre - the Rockafella centre itself is worth a visit. It contains a ice rink, fantastic cafe, shops and has the famous Christmas tree and walk way of angels. but I dont think the tree will be up when you are there which is a shame. A nice treat is to have Breakfast in the Rockafella cafe which over looks the ice rink. Very nice but pricey... Well worth it...

Museums of science & natural history (near central park) - This place is truly awesome and it is so big you could spend a week walking around the place. Has everything from Dinosaurs to a full size sperm whale lol :) Go see... not sure if it is included in the pass....

Central Park - If you get a nice sunny day you can spend most the dear exploring Central Park. Its great!!! Alice in wonderland statues, Strawberry Fields, base ball pitches and the Huge lake in the middle... It can very romantic.. You can get a Horse Ride around but its expensive and is not very good...

Times Sqaure - Night of day the place is crazy... Tons of shops and restaurants... and of course lights!!! Climb the red steps in the centre to get a fantastic photo...

Broadway Show - We saw Spamalot at the Sherbet Theatre and had a great night. Book tickets before you travel otherwise you could miss out...

NBC Studio Tour - One of the things you probably would not do without having the pass. We had a great couple of hours on the Tour and got to see where they Film Saturday night Live and the Today program which is the main NYC breakfast show. As well as a full tour of the NBC studios... Well worth it...

Helicopter Ride - Lots of fun but expensive... You get to see NYC from the air.. Its good but if your stuck for cash I have a better suggestion...

Bateaux New York Dinner Cruise - http://www.spiritofnewyork.com/ba/index.jsp This was a truly awesome night!!! Get dressed up in your best suit and the lady in her best dress... Three course meal, dancing and New York City from the river at Night. Its awesome. Its also sails out to the status of LIberty so you can see it close up at night. You get to see NYC as you do in the films. Get the Romance package for the best seats and Champagne. Checks its actually Champagne and not sparkling wine though, we had ours changed :) Book before you travel!!! Its seems more expensive then when we was there but this really was worth it.

Grand Central Station - I cant describe what a great site this place is. There is also the biggest and best food court you will find in any train station in the world :)

New York Public Library - Great building, well worth a visit. Spot the locations they filmed Ghostbusters :)

China Town - Its like being in China!!! Seriously... If you spot someone who is not Chinese they are a tourist :)

Little Italy - Used to be huge now its about three streets long... Still worth a visit...

Financial District - Walk the gloomy streets where no light reaches down because of the Sky Scrappers... Visit Wall Street...

Noho / Soho - Street Sellers / Lots of restaurants... Nice for a Sunday day time walk about...

Ghostbuster Firehouse - You have no doubt noticed I like Ghostbusters so I visit to the firehouse was high up on my list :) It really is worth the trip. They have the GB2 sign in the fire house. The lost someone in 9/11 from that fire house and their is a plaque on the wall. Which is a little sad. http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ny/ghostbus...firehouse.shtml

Ellis Island / Status of Liberty - Never been but if your going on the dinner cruise probably worth not bothering as you will see the Statue then. Otherwise probably worth it. You can actually get one of the tourist boats as part of your pass if you want to see it on the cheap :)

Madison Square Gardens Tour - You get a tour of the whole complex including Nicks and Rangers locker rooms. Very interesting if that sort of thing is your thing. I would love to go watch Rangers play there. Maybe next time :)

Fifth Avenue - Great window shopping :) If you can afford anything then I take my hat off to you :)

Macy's - Visit Macys for brilliant bargins! and a great shopping experience! Its HUGE!!!! Go to the one on Broadway.. Take your passport with you to get 15% off... You need to go to the customer service desk to get your visitors discount voucher :)http://gonyc.about.com/od/shopping/p/macys.htm Herald Square, between 34th and 35th on Broadway

Restaurant Recommendations:

Virgil's Grill - Our favourite restaurant in New York. First class service, big honest food... Not a dress up place... Rib and towel type place... http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

ESPN Zone Cafe - Typical American Bar Food... Nachos, Wings, Burgers... But they are MASSIVE potions... Three floors... Top floor is best where they have TONS of big screens showing American Football, Baseball and Hockey... Go on the day of a big Game for the most fun :) Defo go at night not day... http://www.espnzone.com/newyork/

Hells Kitchen - Went here for the wife's birthday last year. Went to the trouble of putting a candle in her desert when I ask them to which is good for new york!! :) Nice food, nice atmosphere... Book to grantee seats We just called in and got lucky... http://www.hellskitchen-nyc.com/ No need to dress up but you should be wearing nice shirt and jeans etc...

Tavern on the Green - One of the most expensive and famous restaurants in New York. Was in Ghostbusters (the scene where the dog thing chases Rick Moranis through the park to the restaurant. God I am sad... Its expensive and it didn't live up to its reputation and I would not go again... Still its was nice inside and it is romantic... You have to book in advance.. and you must dress up... Suits etc Expect to pay £400.... :)http://www.tavernonthegreen.com/

Bread - Hidden away in Little Italy / Soho... Hard to find to be honest but a great little Italian place where real new Yorkers go... They usually play reggae music... Which is weird... The food is nice and has a home made feel http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/bread/

Rockafella Centre Cafe - Expensive but really nice. Go for an early breakfast... The eggs are nice... http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=18

Hot Dog Stands - You MUST and I mean MUST try a hot dog from the hot dog stands. :) I dont like the Pretzels...

Dunkin Doughnuts - Doughnuts and Coffee... No better NYC breakfast :)

General Advice

Taxis are good... Reasonably cheap but make sure you know the street and avenue you want.. aka 41st and 5th,... Most taxi drivers do not speak much English... Always tip!!!

Underground rocks! Will take you most places you want to go and fast... You can get daily / weekly tickets etc which are probably a good idea... Beware that not all ticket machines take cards... Most take coins...

Tipping Restaurant - Always look to tip!!! People REALLY do not get paid a lot in NYC pretty much everyone lives off tips. Check your bill to see if the tip has been added to the bill automatically (this happens a lot around times square but not elsewhere). Don't confuse this with city tax. If the tip isn't on the bill you should tip 15% as a matter of course or 20% or more if you have enjoyed the service. 10% at the very very least (if your pissed off for some reason). I have only ever once not tipped once and I got in a blistering row. The arse still didn't get his tip mind you... He was that bad...

Tipping Bars - On the bar their is usually a plate. After ordering a round of drinks stick a 1$ or 2$ bill down... You will continue to get served and not ignored... If their is not a plate just stick it on the bar... Considering the current exchange rate... I would be putting down a $1 and not $2 :)

Rudeness - Don't take it personally :) The service and attitude of people working in NYC is generally short snappy and some what rude :) Specially in restaurants.... Welcome to being a New Yorker for a couple of days :) Its just the way New Yorkers are....

This is a very SHORT guide to NYC :) I have probably missed off loads of awesome things but I have probably covered the main ones. Invest in a guide tourist guide and trust it and you should not go to far wrong :)

If you do anything you enjoyed and it wasn't on the list then let me know for my next visit!!

Bit disppointed I can't see where you've told me when I should go.

Tut.

:wink:

Seriously, cheers - that's really appreciated.

Zero's has it pretty well covered.

I'd add that you don't want to miss out on the chance to see the Statue or Liberty. It's only up close you appreciate just how huge she is. There's a real sense of power from her, it's quite surreal. The boat out also offers decent views back over downtown too.

I went to see The Daily Show being filmed and there's lots of American TV filmed in NYC which can a fun and different way to spend an evening. There's nothing quite like a pumped up American audience.

I also did the tour of Radio City Music Hall which is part of Rockafella plaza and has some astonishing architecture (plus you get to meet and perve on a Rockette).

I'd try and find time to see a sports team too. I'm partial to Ice Hockey as most know but there's also Baseball and Basketball (the chance of getting a NFL ticket is pretty much zero) and don't count out going over to New Jersey for this as it's cheaper. Just take care as it's a little rough out there! :lol:

One thing I tell everyone is to not use the subway. It's great if you need to move from X to Y for a specific reason but if you can allow the time you will benefit a lot from being able to walk from place to place (easy thanks to the grid system, just don't underestimate how huge Manhatten island is).

Check out the bridges too, they're cool to walk over and look back on the city and they're also great structures in their own right. Also this is supposed to be amazing and I regret so much not being able to make it whilst I was in NYC.

I'd try and find time to see a sports team too. I'm partial to Ice Hockey as most know but there's also Baseball and Basketball (the chance of getting a NFL ticket is pretty much zero) and don't count out going over to New Jersey for this as it's cheaper. Just take care as it's a little rough out there! :lol:

Due to the new stadium and the over priced seat license its a lot easier to get tickets now.

On getting from JFK to Manhattan, we used a minibus (I say "mini", it was massive). Cheap rate, just that it took a little while longer as it dropped folk off all over the island.

I doubt a Yellow Cab is much dearer though, so would go for that. It's the dodgy limos you should avoid - awfully tempting and all that, but a bit of a rip off.

On getting from JFK to Manhattan, we used a minibus (I say "mini", it was massive). Cheap rate, just that it took a little while longer as it dropped folk off all over the island.

I doubt a Yellow Cab is much dearer though, so would go for that. It's the dodgy limos you should avoid - awfully tempting and all that, but a bit of a rip off.

People have been mugged or worse via them :(

Don't forget the GrayLine bus tours. A good informative view of the city, and you can hop on and off wherever you like (I'd stay on board while going through the Bronx though).

Not sure if it's changed now, but Hard Rock Cafe used to have (Friday?) nights where they didn't advertise the band that were playing, and there were one or two real surprises - We were treated to Red Hot Chilli Peppers a few years ago.

A novelty for the kids would be McDonalds on Broadway. It is a swankily decorated upmarket version of McD's and even includes a bloke playing a grand piano in the restaurant.

Tower Records in Trump Tower has always been a great source for me to pick up rare versions of albums, and you could always take the Mrs a couple of blocks up to Tiffany's afterwards to drool over the jewellery.

As for the best time to go? The week leading up to Christmas is always best in my opinion - the atmosphere is fantastic with (Hopefully) snow on the ground, steam coming from the grids, Ice skaters on the Rockerfeller, and Father Christmas on every corner.

Having been to New York a few times, Zeros has covered a lot of the stuff, plus the bus tour (not necessary Gray Line) but it is a great way to see the city. One of the things I did which I can remember is no longer available thanks to 9/11 but where it was might be worth seeing. I don't think the McDonalds is on Broadway (although if it is its right at the bottom near Wall street).

Flying wise you should be able to fly to New York from Manchester quite easily, although if you want to use your air miles I'd check the availability. If you can't use your air miles I'd shop around as Manchester to New York could be quite expensive (although the cheapest is probably the Pakistani flight). But say going via Dublin/Shannon might not be, (as Aer Lingus are very cheap- more like a long distance easy jet) and going that way usually saves you a very long wait at customs in the states (can definately be worth it).

I stayed at the Hilton but I wasn't paying and I've had my best meal in New York round the corner at a place called Le Cirque (I think), the Ajax team were eating at the same time (including Edwin Van Der Sar), but we were ridiculously lucky to get in (they had a cancellation 10 secs before). So if you know where you want to eat I'd be booking now (certainly before you go).

Apparently the Yanks don't have an October half-term so that might be a good time to go but having never been to New York then I couldn't tell you for sure.

I don't think the McDonalds is on Broadway (although if it is its right at the bottom near Wall street).

It's at No 160 Broadway near Ground Zero, but I've just been told that it is nowhere near as swanky since its refit after 9/11 (Is it really that long since I last went in there?).

Have a bite to eat in Greenwich Village instead then - if you get a seat near a window there are some amazing sights walking by.

Also, if you're worried about missing any big games while you're out there, you might want to try the Manchester Pub on Second Avenue (Not sure of the exact address but it's up near 44th St). They have all the live Prem and European games on, and have a real interest in 'Soccer'. Last time I walked in in my Latics shirt the barman instantly recognised my shirt and said "You're losing 1-0 to Wimbledon" He was right, and it amazed me just how much interest he had in the English leagues.

Edit: Just checked, The Manchester Pub is at 920 Second Ave near the 49th St junction.

Edited by outoftheblue

It's at No 160 Broadway near Ground Zero, but I've just been told that it is nowhere near as swanky since its refit after 9/11 (Is it really that long since I last went in there?).

Cool I knew where it was roughly but I didn't realise it was on Broadway (considering the Hilton I stayed in is on Broadway). I remember being impressed about the piano and the stock details in a McDonalds.

Oh and Opinions I forgot to say you will need a visa and its an online thing I think- the FCO website should have the correct link (be wary of simply googling it as it could mean you end up paying for it when you didn't use to have to- that might have changed).

For a FREE close view of The Statue of Lib. & Ellis Island take the Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, not worthwhile staying on SI so come straight back, some good views of Manhattan to be had also.

Best expensive trip was the the helicopter trip (mentioned earlier) since 9/11 the 'copter cannot fly directly over Manhattan but it did take us all round the island.

For something different take the tube down to Coney Island, well worth a visit.

Edited by DavidCollinge

Personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole...

Would highly recommend Virgin...

Virgin ain't much cop for going across the Atlantic - I flew with them a couple of times to the Caribbean and they weren't great for me.

However, American Airlines are dire. Several years ago I flew with them 4 times (2 lots of 2 flights) to go to Disney World and only 1 of them was any good. They oversell their flights so even if you are there very early they might not get you in good seats for a family (my Mum was seperated from the rest of the family despite arriving 4 hours early for the flight- changeover). I don't think I'd ever fly American again, Continental aren't much good either.

Virgin ain't much cop for going across the Atlantic - I flew with them a couple of times to the Caribbean and they weren't great for me.

However, American Airlines are dire. Several years ago I flew with them 4 times (2 lots of 2 flights) to go to Disney World and only 1 of them was any good. They oversell their flights so even if you are there very early they might not get you in good seats for a family (my Mum was seperated from the rest of the family despite arriving 4 hours early for the flight- changeover). I don't think I'd ever fly American again, Continental aren't much good either.

Virgin always been great for me...

Its probably luck of the draw...