New York

opinions4u

Virgin always been great for me...

Its probably luck of the draw...

Aye, the rest of my family liked them but I didn't think they were any good. Although if I fly with them again I know to pester the stewardesses for more drink (the main problem).

You can fly to New York from Manchester direct. American Airlines and Continental Airlines both fly there

Yep, I'm flying Manchester to Newark next month with Continental. Can't give an accurate cost as I'm going onwards from there but it'd have been circa £300 return (booked a month in advance).

I find 'Skyscanner' is always worth a look for flights.

Aye, the rest of my family liked them but I didn't think they were any good. Although if I fly with them again I know to pester the stewardesses for more drink (the main problem).

If you just got to the galley and ask they will give you anything you want... Beer, Wine, Shorts etc...

AA wanted you to wait for a trolley... I am thirsty when I thirsty... :)

Edited by oafc0000

If you just got to the galley and ask they will give you anything you want... Beer, Wine, Shorts etc...

AA wanted you to wait for a trolley... I am thirsty when I thirsty... :)

Yeah I worked that out now but not at the time as they had been coming round with drinks.

Get on the right side of them once and you are sorted for the whole flight drinks wise, I find the main thing is to avoid making it too obvious that you do actually plan to get loaded or they get wary, so don't be asking them for another drink when you have half the previous one still on the go, and don't fuss them when they are serving the meals etc. Simples really.

Despite meeting doesn't of widely travelled Americans where I am I can honestly say that I have never heard one recommend, or even mention, AA, so I'd guess they aren't the best.

Get on the right side of them once and you are sorted for the whole flight drinks wise, I find the main thing is to avoid making it too obvious that you do actually plan to get loaded or they get wary, so don't be asking them for another drink when you have half the previous one still on the go, and don't fuss them when they are serving the meals etc. Simples really.

Despite meeting doesn't of widely travelled Americans where I am I can honestly say that I have never heard one recommend, or even mention, AA, so I'd guess they aren't the best.

All American airlines (AA, United, Delta, USAirways, Continental) are :censored:e. They are all broke and haven't been able to update their cabins for years (despite goverment subsidies, bailouts etc). Though United have just started upgrading theirs.

They are tight (mean) with food, drink, checked baggage (and now carry-on baggage). Continental started the trend of flying 757s across the Atlantic, so the rest will follow. BA are expensive but still good despite the Willie Walsh cuts in service.

Avoid US airlines at all costs if you can.

Edited by martjs

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I will add is walk! I've been a few times and done the underground, which is great but you miss so much. Walked from Central Park down to battery park one day and saw so much stuff that would have normally missed. You can plan a route and see something 'famous' pretty much every block!

Kebabs from street vendors. Just awesome. Think they're more like gyros or whatever the Eastern European kebab thing is. Still damn tasty though.

Further to what was said earlier about going up the Rockefeller. Last time I went I did that, so my photos have the Empire State in them. Much better than being at the top of the empire and having the Rockefeller in your pics (IMO).....

One thing I will add is walk! I've been a few times and done the underground, which is great but you miss so much. Walked from Central Park down to battery park one day and saw so much stuff that would have normally missed. You can plan a route and see something 'famous' pretty much every block!

Kebabs from street vendors. Just awesome. Think they're more like gyros or whatever the Eastern European kebab thing is. Still damn tasty though.

Further to what was said earlier about going up the Rockefeller. Last time I went I did that, so my photos have the Empire State in them. Much better than being at the top of the empire and having the Rockefeller in your pics (IMO).....

Totally agree with all this. My feet are killing me, but the walking has been well worth it.

The Rockefeller view is sensational.

Down to southern Manhatten today.