Jump to content

Latics v Cambridge FA Cup 73/74


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know the attendance for the midweek FA Cup replay between Latics and Cambridge in January 1974? Or is able to point me in the direction of a website that might have the information?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Does anyone know the attendance for the midweek FA Cup replay between Latics and Cambridge in January 1974? Or is able to point me in the direction of a website that might have the information?

 

Thanks

 

According to Mr. Beckett..

 

Sun 6th Jan 1974 FAC3 Cambridge (A) D2-2 Lochead, Simmons og 8,429

 

Tues 8th Jan 1974 FAC3® Cambridge (H) D3-3 McVitie, Robins 2 10,250

 

Mon 14th Jan 1974 FAC3 (2R) Cambridge (N) W2-1 Jones, Garwood 3,563 (Played at The City Ground, Nottingham)

Link to post
Share on other sites
According to Mr. Beckett..

 

Sun 6th Jan 1974 FAC3 Cambridge (A) D2-2 Lochead, Simmons og 8,429

 

Tues 8th Jan 1974 FAC3® Cambridge (H) D3-3 McVitie, Robins 2 10,250

 

Mon 14th Jan 1974 FAC3 (2R) Cambridge (N) W2-1 Jones, Garwood 3,563 (Played at The City Ground, Nottingham)

 

I was at the Nottingham replay, a mud heap of a pitch, only 3, 563 and probably a good few of those from Cambridge, I must have been madder then than I am now.

Garwood was the type of goal poacher the Latics could do with now, he didn't do too much off the ball, but was usually deadly in an around the penalty area.

And George McVitie, what a wonderful elegant winger he was, probably on a par with David Eyres IMO .

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
I was at the Nottingham replay, a mud heap of a pitch, only 3, 563 and probably a good few of those from Cambridge, I must have been madder then than I am now.

Garwood was the type of goal poacher the Latics could do with now, he didn't do too much off the ball, but was usually deadly in an around the penalty area.

And George McVitie, what a wonderful elegant winger he was.

 

On the subject of poachers, I still say not signing Beckett cost us promotion. He would have carried the mantle whilst Porter's head was being turned and scoring only 5 goals from NYD onwards. I reckon Beckett would have easily been worth the 10 points we needed as he had earned us 14 points the year before. Shez wasted his budget on Dabo, Rocky and Wood - none survived more than a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On the subject of poachers, I still say not signing Beckett cost us promotion. He would have carried the mantle whilst Porter's head was being turned and scoring only 5 goals from NYD onwards. I reckon Beckett would have easily been worth the 10 points we needed as he had earned us 14 points the year before. Shez wasted his budget on Dabo, Rocky and Wood - none survived more than a year.

agree

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 years later...
46 minutes ago, OldhamAthlete said:

Can anybody recall what time the game in Nottingham kicked off?

Also am I right in thinking that the 6th of January fixture was the first time an FA Cup game had been played on  Sunday?

Yes it was the first pro game on a Sunday.  Can’t give a definitive answer on kick off times but with no floodlights in Jan must have been 2.00 or earlier to allow foe extra time.....certainly the first replay was a midweek afternoon kick off

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldhamAthlete said:

Can anybody recall what time the game in Nottingham kicked off?

Also am I right in thinking that the 6th of January fixture was the first time an FA Cup game had been played on  Sunday?

I was at that one, and I'm 90% certain it kicked off at 2pm, but my memory ain't what it once was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

That was the game at Cambridge not the second replay. I was at all 3. We drove in the middle of the night to get to Cambridge for 11am. I think the game at Forest was 2pm kick off. As you say it was rather a heavy pitch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

That was the game at Cambridge not the second replay. I was at all 3. We drove in the middle of the night to get to Cambridge for 11am. I think the game at Forest was 2pm kick off. As you say it was rather a heavy pitch. 

Yes it was the match at Nottingham I went to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw all 3 games. I have a feeling the game at Cambridge was 11.15 or 11.30.   There was another FA cup match that day but was an afternoon KOff. So we were down in football history as the 1st pro game on a sunday.   The other games were both 2.00pm.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember if I went to the Cambridge replay at Boundary Park, but I do remember going to the 4th round game v Burnley. They stuffed us 4-1 in front of 22,350 or 22,287 depending on whether you believe Garth Dykes's book or Stewart Beckett's! (A Burnley website gives the attendance as 28,114 which sounds on the high side). Leighton James had a good game I remember.

 

What a great season that was. We'd just started a run of 10 straight league wins when Burnley beat us. After that game we won 15, drew 4 and lost 4 and despite a wobble at the end (2 points from the last 4 games) we won the 3rd division championship. Happy days!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

LOL, just noticed this thread!

 

Remember getting up before 4 am to catch the coach for the first game at Cambridge. It was an 11-30 am kick off, and definitely the first ever professional football match played on a Sunday in this country - there were three other FA Cup ties played on that day, but all with afternoon kick-offs. We were cruising at 2-0 up with about 15 minutes to go, when the home team sprang into life, scored a couple of quick goals, and had us clinging on with our backs to the wall at the end.

 

In the Boundary Park replay, Cambridge went into a 2-0 lead with two goals at the Chaddy End in the opening quarter of an hour, we pulled one back before half-time and got a last minute equalizer in the second half to send the game into extra time. Both sides scored once more to take the tie to a second replay. The Boundary Park game was Harry Dowd's last appearance for the Latics - sadly he was probably at fault for the first two goals, being indecisive in coming for crosses, a problem that plagued him a fair bit in his last year at the club.

 

Didn't go to the second replay - had to attend school that day....

 

Cambridge were formidable opponents throughout this cup tie, but when we played them at Boundary Park less than two months later we were on our unstoppable run of ten consecutive wins, and Cambridge were crumbling under the pressure of their relegation dogfight, which was largely caused by their dreadful away record. As a result, we blitzed them 6-1.

 

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 8:57 PM, Worcester Owl said:

I don't remember if I went to the Cambridge replay at Boundary Park, but I do remember going to the 4th round game v Burnley. They stuffed us 4-1 in front of 22,350 or 22,287 depending on whether you believe Garth Dykes's book or Stewart Beckett's! (A Burnley website gives the attendance as 28,114 which sounds on the high side). Leighton James had a good game I remember.

 

What a great season that was. We'd just started a run of 10 straight league wins when Burnley beat us. After that game we won 15, drew 4 and lost 4 and despite a wobble at the end (2 points from the last 4 games) we won the 3rd division championship. Happy days!

One of my rare forays into the main stand paddock.

James was unplayable that day as was  Martin Dobson.

From memory, both scored. The wankers.

 

Edited by L1onheartNew
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

One of my rare forays into the main stand paddock.

James was unplayable that day as was  Martin Dobson.

From memory, both scored. The wankers.

 

I was on the Rochdale road end, on the perimeter boards( 10p cheaper than the Chaddy I think) , and seeing Leighton James up close was a treat for a young lad, if you didn't mind being in with a mix of home and away fans. They probably played in their away strip of white shirts, sad as their home shirts were the same as my then current schoolboy football shirts, Derker juniors . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

I was on the Rochdale road end, on the perimeter boards( 10p cheaper than the Chaddy I think) , and seeing Leighton James up close was a treat for a young lad, if you didn't mind being in with a mix of home and away fans. They probably played in their away strip of white shirts, sad as their home shirts were the same as my then current schoolboy football shirts, Derker juniors . 

The other thing that I remember about Leighton James was seeing him after the game wearing glasses 🤓 Apparently he was very short sighted so I can only assume that he played wearing contact lenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...