The Ashes 2010-11

If we don't beat this Australian side, with it's friendly bowling and fragile batting, I'll eat my own cricket bat.

Prediction:

Brisbane: England win

Adelaide: high-scoring draw

Perth: England win, Australian broken fingers

Melbourne: Australia win (dead rubber bounce)

Sydney: England win

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't beat this Australian side, with it's friendly bowling and fragile batting, I'll eat my own cricket bat.

Prediction:

I got shot down for saying we would win the Ashes so I will refrain for now...

I got shot down for saying we would win the Ashes so I will refrain for now...

Steve Smith, fielding at leg slip for Australia A in Hobart last week, was heard on the stump mic to complain about the cold. Anyone ever hear Langer, for instance, complain about anything? They're not like they used to be.

Steve Smith, fielding at leg slip for Australia A in Hobart last week, was heard on the stump mic to complain about the cold. Anyone ever hear Langer, for instance, complain about anything? They're not like they used to be.

Cold its Hobart FFS, I'd rather be fielding in Hobart in November than Chester-le-street in June.

Come on the ECB you know you want to make their first game at Chester-le-street for the next time they come over, sometime in April would be lovely.

Cold its Hobart FFS, I'd rather be fielding in Hobart in November than Chester-le-street in June.

Come on the ECB you know you want to make their first game at Chester-le-street for the next time they come over, sometime in April would be lovely.

September cricket in Durham seems to be the in thing.

The outfield was swimming for the visit of the Pakistan lot. India's turn next early-Autumn.

Edited by opinions4u

I think Punter's wicket will be key, he will fight like a bastard to hold them together.

There was a decent demolition job of the Punter's technique on the Sky preview last night - showed him taking longer and longer and going later and later with the pull shot, meaning it gets skied or he gets hit. He's not the force he once was.

There was a decent demolition job of the Punter's technique on the Sky preview last night - showed him taking longer and longer and going later and later with the pull shot, meaning it gets skied or he gets hit. He's not the force he once was.

Agree, but he wants it enough. We'll have to get through him at some stages to get through the rest of them.

It was cold - it was 10 degrees and damp, but nevertheless.

First he complained about the cold within the range of the stump microphone, but the final straw for Ian Healey and Michael Slater in the commentary box was when he came on to bowl wearing his thick woolly pullover (on top of a thick woolly tank top and long-sleeve shirt). He might as well have been wearing a ra-ra skirt for all they respected him.

Will be a tough series. We usually lose the first test which puts us on the back foot, if we can by hook or by crook get a win, even a draw I think it will pile the pressure on the aussies and release a bit of pressure from us. The convicts won't be as much of a walk over as the form book suggests but if I was a betting man I would have a small wager on England to just shade it.

Prediction:

Living out here and experiencing my first Ashes in Australia, I can tell you that the Aussies are definitely not as cocky as usual. Ponting is discovering that life is a bit tougher when you don't have Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden etc to call on. There's a distinct lack of confidence among everyone here, from the media to my work colleagues. They're worried - it's great!

The mind games are predictable, but ridiculously inane. Fox Sports conjured up a story of Pietersen being 'obviously' unpopular and an outcast from the rest of the England squad. All seemingly based on brief footage they had of him using his mobile in the corner of a room! The endless, ENDLESS references to 'The Poms' are really getting annoying as well. For frig's sake, we're ENGLAND! Loads of references in the media to 'cocky' England as well. Oh, get stuffed! What, just because we think we've got a chance this time? I suppose we do the same to them, but it's still a bit tiresome.

I'm not getting too carried away. I reckon it's 50-50. Still not convinced we have the bowlers to take 20 Aussie wickets consistently on home soil. Having said that, the Aussie attack ain't that great. Could be famous last words, but Mitchell Johnson (to my mind) is the most overrated bowler on the planet.

Anyway, I reckon we've got a decent chance. Knowing these Aussies, they will give me hell if England get stuffed. Don't think it's gonna happen this time, though. Come on Straussy!

i work 2 - 10 too so get to stay up, really looking forward to it, i think it will be 2 - 2 meaning we retain the ashes.

i will be watching it on the internet (if you know what i mean) seeing as you are only round the corner - ill come to yours and watch it on Sky :grin::wink: