The Ashes 2010-11

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first session is vital tonight, we have the new ball and if we can knock over a couple of quick wickets then we will be right into the tail and still very much in the match.

If they survive early and get past our total without loss then we could be in real trouble, a lead of anything like 100 will be very useful and will make them strong favourites.

It's still in the balance though and they will have to bat last on the wicket, which hopefully might help Swann more on the 4th and 5th days.

One of the most demoralising mornings of cricket ever. Injustice after injustice, and that nagging sense that they would survive and pile in. The chirpier we became in the field, the more desperate we sounded.

The bad thing about cricket is that even after you've basically been defeated, you have to stay on the field and suck it up. There's still hope, but that's a bad, bad morning.

It's ok, we just need to bat for a day and a half now and claim a rather unspectacular draw.

Or collapse for about 150 and let the aussies grind us into the dirt for another 2 tests and claim the ashes back.

What a superb comeback, shows there's a bit of character about this team and was a welcome surprise when I got up at tea to see us only one down after Strauss' captain's knock and Cook on the verge.

It's ok, we just need to bat for a day and a half now and claim a rather unspectacular draw.

Or collapse for about 150 and let the aussies grind us into the dirt for another 2 tests and claim the ashes back.

We're not out of it yet but that was an amazing day. Just as they rubbed our noses in it yesterday, we really stamped on them today - absolutely trounced them.

We're not out of it yet but that was an amazing day. Just as they rubbed our noses in it yesterday, we really stamped on them today - absolutely trounced them.

The ability to show total domination for a day is something that will remind the Aussies that they have some real opposition.

Bet Fred are offering the best prices on a winner ... 16/1 Aussies and 25/1 England. Gonna be a well earned draw unless something truly extraordinary happens.

The greatest day in my life was kissing the penalty spot (and getting an infection in my bottom lip from the pitch) after Redfearn's pen secured us the title.

Being at the Gabba watching Cook and Trott destroy the Aussie bowling comes a close second....Ponting's grounded but claimed catch off Cook made it even more satisfying.

Same old Aussies, always cheating! The prick even had the audacity to say he was disappointed with Cook for not walking....because he said he would. Yes Ricky...only if he was actually out!!

There were 7,000 there today; six thousand were Poms! look out for the red and white JD Sports away kit!

What made it even more memorable was meeting a fellow Latics fan on Stanley Street after the game.

Truly Memorable!!

Awesome weekend, but today was sweet....fantastic way to turn 50!

Edited by L1onheart

The greatest day in my life was kissing the penalty spot (and getting an infection in my bottom lip from the pitch) after Redfearn's pen secured us the title.

Being at the Gabba watching Cook and Trott destroy the Aussie bowling comes a close second....Ponting's grounded but claimed catch off Cook made it even more satisfying.

Same old Aussies, always cheating! The prick even had the audacity to say he was disappointed with Cook for not walking....because he said he would. Yes Ricky...only if he was actually out!!

There were 7,000 there today; six thousand were Poms! look out for the red and white JD Sports away kit!

What made it even more memorable was meeting a fellow Latics fan on Stanley Street after the game.

Truly Memorable!!

Awesome weekend, but today was sweet....fantastic way to turn 50!

There was the classic from Atherton when playing in Australia and he nicked one and didn't walk, Ian Healy called him a "fu**ing cheat" so he just turned round and said "when in Rome my dear boy"

Atherton is a big believer you should never walk as it balances out with the times you are given out and shouldn't have been. Gilchrist always walked but to be fair that is made easier when your average is about 60.

There was the classic from Atherton when playing in Australia and he nicked one and didn't walk, Ian Healy called him a "fu**ing cheat" so he just turned round and said "when in Rome my dear boy"

Atherton is a big believer you should never walk as it balances out with the times you are given out and shouldn't have been. Gilchrist always walked but to be fair that is made easier when your average is about 60.

I think the age of the gentleman in sport is long gone.

Right or not, I think I'm with Atherton on this one.

Gilchrist always walked but to be fair that is made easier when your average is about 60.

Without taking anything away from Gilchrist, anyone can get an average of 60 when you face average bowling for so long. Coupled with the fact that when he was batting down the order, Langer and Hayden had already exhausted the bowling before Gilchrist even faced it.