Our Lady's Royton

oafcprozac

Excuse the post on my sons account but just read this load of tosh and as a teacher of 24 years some people dont get it at all.

Today I was up at 5.15 and off to school 11 miles away in Rochdale. I de-iced the car 4x4 (42 to gallon £110 road tax ;-)) and set off. 90 mins later I had got 100 yards due to pillocks who could walkn and who cant drive. I eventually got to school at 9.50am having missed 3/4 of a lesson. Only 1 teacher out of 180 OFF due to weather and he had no chance of getting in.

However the surrounding roads shocking. Lots of kids not in and others thinking they should't be. So you teach a lesson half the class miss so has to be repeated for those who missed it. Everyone paranoid about H&S because sadly some take advantage. I had to deal with a kid who cut his leg on a playing field during SUMMER holiday tresspassing technically but got £7500 another slipped on a crisp packet £4000. So ice????? Should you have opened???? I have been a teacher, head of year, head of department, senior teacher, deputy head and can honestly say schools never like to close I once supervised 380 kids in a sports hall with two other staff for a morning in snow. Can you imagine the fuss IF something had gone wrong. Parents have a responsibility as well taking kids out of school for holidays rife, soft absences, oversees trips.... SHOPPING. CONDONED ABSENCE the biggest issue in schools. Send kids in when unfit passing germs on etc. One girl recently taken for a trip to Manchester because her boyfriend had dumped her. Excuse dental treatment. I have pursued several to court but can't recall ONE occasion when a school I have worked in closed without good reason. My wifes school closed today as simply could not risk the kids being stuck on transport on way home. Its ok stating the obvious roads clear where I am. I work with staff from Blackburn, Dewsbury, Halifax, Eccles, Hebbden Bridge, Tameside, Oldham, Clitheroe, Leeds, Chester. Ultimately schools have a duty of care for ALL.

Some of remarks bang out of order and ill informed. MANY people can take flexi hours / work from home / leave etc etc....Teachers can't and if off rigorous procedures these days, Mediscreen etc. You can't have cuppa in class, give up breaks to talk to people yet some try to suggest we are a lazy work avoiding profession.

Others genuinely need help with child care and I dont know a school who wont help with this. I have sat with 20-30 kids who had to be in. Teachers are on the 1265 hours directed time but ANY one who is worth the post puts in hour after hour beyond the formal hours. I worked 3 days of half term with exam classes, email most evenings and chase up parents. The simplistic view that teachers finish early always on holiday is frankly utter bollocks. TRY IT.... yourself. This week its parents night yet half can't be bothered to show up in many schools I am lucky I get good relationships with students and have very little negative to say about the 1000s of kids who work VERY hard.

H&S rules the roost because instead of parents telling little Asa he's a little idiot and grounding him they often give him a £5 FOR NOTHING to get him out on the street.

Rant over... but if you want the experience I will fix you up. :wink:

Great post and pretty much what I was trying to say... :applause1:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

consecutive Governments haven't got a clue ......

.... dont send your kids to school with a phone do they really need it?

:applause1:

I don't agree with everything you've posted Sir, but I do believe you've hit the nail on the head with governments being useless and parents working against the teachers/schools instead of with them.

All this schools closed business does however back up the OldhamSheridan Harsh but Fair Party's policy of closing schools for six week holidays in Winter, not Summer. Thus saving a fortune in heating and allowing for a nigh on full attendance record for all being possible (obviously snow in November may not have worked on this occasion).

All this schools closed business does however back up the OldhamSheridan Harsh but Fair Party's policy of closing schools for six week holidays in Winter, not Summer. Thus saving a fortune in heating and allowing for a nigh on full attendance record for all being possible (obviously snow in November may not have worked on this occasion).

Gosh, that's rather brilliant. I will support it if you tie it up with my proposal for Hansard reporters to be seconded to East Anglian gangs of illegal Chinese farm labourers during the summer recess?

I may have given the wrong impression to yourself and Leeslover. I'll be running a dictatorship so won't be education minister or in the habit of making deals ostracising my newly censored publisher.

On the bright side, Oldham will have a ground in Oldham with Galactico's Real can only dream of, although after last night I'm not sure we haven't got that already.

I may have given the wrong impression to yourself and Leeslover. I'll be running a dictatorship so won't be education minister or in the habit of making deals ostracising my newly censored publisher.

On the bright side, Oldham will have a ground in Oldham with Galactico's Real can only dream of, although after last night I'm not sure we haven't got that already.

You'll need a good Commisar for Ideology though.

You can probably count all the schools open in County Durham, Tyne and Wear and Northumberland today on your fingers. The school (well its a 6th form college really) within spitting distance of where I'm typing this from was shut and the roads around it are relatively clear. What is the point in having school catchment areas if it isn't safe for the children to walk home (Royton isn't exactly Moss Side)?

Everyone has to make special efforts to get into work on days like this (in all honesty you've not had it as bad as the likes of OS, if he has gotten in for either Monday or Tuesday then everyone can get in). If the teachers can't get in why are the hospitals relatively full of nurses? (That's just one profession in a hospital). What about the people working in Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc.

Some teachers blame Health and Safety, funny how Newcastle uni was open today? Frankly if as a parent if you send your child to school in such weather you waive all rights to sue. Some of it is because the schools (or more accuartely the councils) are frightened of being sued but there is defiantely an element of teachers wanting days off (who doesn't want a day off for snow)?

If I rang work and said I can't get in cos it's snowing I'd be disciplined! When the school is closed cos of snow do teachers still go in to take advantage of the free periods or do they just get the day off too?

Edited by BlueJazzer

I may have exaggerated with 30 feet. But it was knee high to a 5'8" bloke.

Monday was manic. Snow lightning/thunder was awesome. Getting stuck having given up going to work and trying to get back home wasn't*. I thought the couple of three/four hour drives to the Dale game were fun. Monday was the worst I've seen at all up here.

(A bloke in our office came in from Rothbury on Monday, the worst affected place in Britain. He had the Chief Exec coming along to see if he was real.)

*I eventually managed to turn back and just go downhill to work in the end.

If I rang work and said I can't get in cos it's snowing I'd be disciplined! When the school is closed cos of snow do teachers still go in to take advantage of the free periods or do they just get the day off too?

I'd guess they'd try and cover their marking and work on lesson plans.

They have to teach the syllabus and get their pupils passing still. Their work doesn't go away.

If the school is closed of course they don't go in. I doubt there's a teacher who doesn't have schoolwork aplenty at home to do.

It's bizarre that people on here think teachers are workshy fops. I'm jealous of their holidays (and maybe their union strength), but not alot else.

Whilst I completely agree with everything you have said, Hallam Blue's Dad, I sincerely hope you don't teach English Language.

That was one of the most difficult posts to read since Royle Army was at his height.

I have a great deal of family and friends who are teachers at various levels, and it amazes me that their poor standards of literacy don't appear to get in the way of their career.

This isn't a bitter rant, but it does become apparent why the youth of today cannot converse or spell correctly.

Maybe when the schools are closed to the pupils, they should hold literacy lessons there for the teachers?

:naughty::tongue::peepwall:

School has just text me, the boy's finishing at noon today. But conditions have deteriorated this morning and I think the wife will be working from home this afternoon (she's a community nurse)

just seen Masked Owls facebook and he is being sent home from Crompton house..

I wonder if all the doctors, nurses, police and firemen and women can go home as well...

<_<

Well there'll be fewer injuries and fewer crimes if everybody's safely indoors at home!

(Of course the injuries that occur during the migration from school to home could cause a short term peak in A&E attendance)