Woolas loses High Court bid to reverse Election Court decision

can't get the hang of this quote thing.....Is it possible to bring a quote from another thread into this thread using quote buttons ?

Copy and paste the words you want to use.

Keep it highlighted.

Click on the little speech bubble thing immediately above the text box (second from the right) and away you go.

I miss the adventures of Catkins and Weasel. It took me back to my childhood, reading Beatrix Potter and Kenneth Grahame and I don't feel ashamed in mentioning 24hoursfromtulsehill and leeslover in the same sentence as those literary greats.

Why thank you :) I see Mr Tulsehill as more of a Tolkein, creating epic characters purely out of his own imagination. He is hard at work on the final piece of the trilogy, The Return of the Weasal.

Why thank you :) I see Mr Tulsehill as more of a Tolkein, creating epic characters purely out of his own imagination. He is hard at work on the final piece of the trilogy, The Return of the Weasal.

Your basic rhetorical style is so bad it probably has a name. It goes like this: make something up, such as a law or a stat, and then refuse to accept that the conclusion you've drawn from your own fiction is deeply, unbouncebackably flawed. Clearly, Tolkein is more your style. He can't deal with the world as it is, so heads off to pixieland, and enjoys credibility only among children of various ages.

I'm writing a book at the moment as it turns out. It's called "The End of Catman". It's a political thriller featuring rough justice, disgrace and revenge, which along with ale are my favourite things.

Your basic rhetorical style is so bad it probably has a name. It goes like this: make something up, such as a law or a stat, and then refuse to accept that the conclusion you've drawn from your own fiction is deeply, unbouncebackably flawed. Clearly, Tolkein is more your style. He can't deal with the world as it is, so heads off to pixieland, and enjoys credibility only among children of various ages.

I'm writing a book at the moment as it turns out. It's called "The End of Catman". It's a political thriller featuring rough justice, disgrace and revenge, which along with ale are my favourite things.

So just so as we are absolutely clear, the Weasal himself has now admitted that he has been thrown out from the seat because his weasely behaviour in the election, which appears to match the weasaly behaviour that a number of his constituents have reported on here, was against the rules which he was bound by.

Good Weasal. Now go and sink into a gutter somewhere.

Labour candidate Debbie Abrahams.

A curve ball in a by-election between the BNP and Respect, in an area with, shall we say, a variety of perspectives...

So just so as we are absolutely clear, the Weasal himself has now admitted that he has been thrown out from the seat because his weasely behaviour in the election, which appears to match the weasaly behaviour that a number of his constituents have reported on here, was against the rules which he was bound by.

This is the last I heard...

The disgraced former MP admitted afterwards: “That is the end, I am out - which I think is unfair and, more importantly, my 70,000 voters will think it is unfair.

“It is now unclear what is political and what is personal and that is not good for a strong democracy.”

Did I miss the mea culpa or does it exist only in your imagination, like many, many other political facts and figures?

The disgraced former MP admitted afterwards: “That is the end, I am out - which I think is unfair and, more importantly, my 70,000 voters will think it is unfair.

“It is now unclear what is political and what is personal and that is not good for a strong democracy.”

Did I miss the mea culpa or does it exist only in your imagination, like many, many other political facts and figures?

I stand corrected. The lying, corrupt, race-hate-stirring weasal went out acting like he had done nothing wrong. You are right and I was wrong. He still thinks he's a good bloke, and not a weasal. I you, and more importantly he, can still somehow put that face on when you both know it's not true.

Farewell, Weasal! Don't forget to put that £70,000 cheque in the post :chubb: No doubt one of the brotherhood will find you a job to keep the salary level topped up.

I stand corrected. The lying, corrupt, race-hate-stirring weasal went out acting like he had done nothing wrong. You are right and I was wrong. He still thinks he's a good bloke, and not a weasal. I you, and more importantly he, can still somehow put that face on when you both know it's not true.

Farewell, Weasal! Don't forget to put that £70,000 cheque in the post :chubb: No doubt one of the brotherhood will find you a job to keep the salary level topped up.

I may have missed something, but is there a reason you're repeatedly misspelling weasel? :unsure:

1.) He should get his facts right- he was elected by 14,186 people.

2.) I don't agree with the process but as I said when he was unelected, it doesn't matter how many of the 14186 people that voted for him think its unfair provided from 62-104 people that voted for him think the decision is fair its the correct decision. He lied on his election manifesto (some would argue that he did more than lie but that point is moot) if lying on your election manifesto means you get chucked out then the likes of Sheffield Hallam will soon be looking for a new MP, not to mention various other constituencies. He "deliberately" lied and because his majority was so small the judges ruled that it affected the result.

3.) If he has been treated unfairly then that treatment has also come from his own party (and judging by some of your posts at election time, your party too)

A curve ball in a by-election between the BNP and Respect, in an area with, shall we say, a variety of perspectives...

Whats the rule about candidates living in their own constituency, since she was a candidate in the "neighbouring" Colne Valley in May, and her closest connection to OE+S is that she headed up Rochdale PCT for a bit (a small fraction of which may be in OE+S).

She looks to me like the sort of person Labour want involved in politics but hasn't gotten anywhere near the level it takes to get ennobelled. Co-incidentally Labour was the encumbant party in Colne Valley before May and after the election they were 3rd.

I'm with you Doc, but it's not down to the number of voters who think they were deceived, but the judges opinion of what those voters did or did not believe. That's why it's wrong. The judges have decided that the people of Oldham E and Saddleworth were duped.

Yes they have and its what I'm wary about but if say Simon Hughes had lied on his manifesto and called one of his opponents a drug dealer, then I think the judges would have a harder time ruling that he should no longer be the MP considering his 8530 majority. The opponent would probably have a more substanial case for libel/slander though as it is untrue as it would be untrue for me to suggest that this happened. *

This is why I think Woolas has lost his seat because his small majority made it more statistically challenging to prove that this was the case, due to the small sample size.

There is nothing stopping Woolas from standing at the next general election in Oldham east and Saddleworth- if enough people feel he was harshly treated he will get elected.

*In case any lawyers are reading this let me point out that in no way am I suggesting that Simon Hughes lied in his election manifesto/leaflets I'm meerly using him as an example as I was aware he had a decent majority.

* In a celebrated example of cynical elections, Simon Hughes won his seat in a 1983 by-election by running an overtly homophobic campaign against Peter Tatchell. Simon Hughes, who touted himself as "the straight choice", is actually bisexual, which I suppose makes his homophobia all the more reprehensible.

• 4 years later...

Interesting coda to this thread. I'm just editing a transcript of the election petition hearing held in Edinburgh this week. The court could've saved some money by just reading this thread and the other one about Oldham East and Saddleworth from 2010 and then deciding that Carmichael is in the clear.