LOTW - 3/5/07 - Vic Halom

Stevie_J

lotwhalomfx4.jpg

Welcome to the sixth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's the King of all Geordies, Vic Halom.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend!!!

Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Go to school with him? Get hit by his car?
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stat's or career stat's then post them too, pictures, videos, songs!?
Post them all!!

So, Get Posting!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

I'll nip in before Diego on this one. Contrary to popular belief, Vic isn't a Geordie, he's from Burton on Trent. I was at school with a lad who's dad was a good mate of his.

He was one of my favourite players and I once made a spoon in a metalwork class and engraved it with the legend, "Vic Halom, Oldham Athletic." My mum probably still has it somewhere!!

Didn't he end up becoming the Lib Dem candidate for a constituency in the North East?

Edited by Ackey

I have never met him or anything like that, my memories of him are purely as a Latics player.

He had a decent goal scoring record for us in about 3 years he played for us in the late 70's I think.

Big bustling striker who was a real handful for defenders and a good header of a ball, not exectly a speed merchant either but did get in good positions in the box and knew how to finish.

We were in the old Div 2 during Vic's time with us.

I'm sure he will always be best remember by Latics fans of that era for the song 'Vic Halom king of all geordies' that used to come from the terraces.

Great memories.

I'll nip in before Diego on this one. Contrary to popular belief, Vic isn't a Geordie, he's from Burton on Trent.

That's correct - King of all Burtonians...well not quite. Born in Burton on 3rd October 1948 (think his mother was of Hungarian descent). He also wrote himself into Burton Albion history, as their shortest-serving manager ever, lasting just 21 days before challenging Chairman Sam Brassington to sack him - he did! :sign0007:

Most famous as a hero of Sunderland's FA Cup giant killing of Leeds in the 1973 Cup Final. Halom chested down a corner from Billy Hughes before the deflected high ball was controlled by Ian Porterfield who shot home from 12 yards. :first: It was one of Leeds' worst moments.....until last Saturday. :laught16:

Guest oa_exile

Vic signed for us at the start of season 1976/77 for £25K

season 1976/77 League appearances 37 Goals 19 , Cup appearances 5 Goals 4

I remember the FA CUP 4th Round at Maine Rd , won 3:1 and Vic scored 2 (Attendance 28,635).It was one of them games that i always remember.

season 1977/78 League appearances 31 Goals 11

That was the season he partnered Steve Taylor who hit 20 goals that season

season 1978/79 League appearances 28 Goals 5

The one game that sticks out was the home game against Sunderland in 1977/78.

The first time Vic had played against his old club since his move to the Latics.

Sunderland fans ran onto the pitch putting scarves around him treating him like the God he was !

I remember the Sunderland fans singing that day "Vic Halom King of all Geordies" when he was subbed near the end of the game.

Another song they used to sing went something like this..."vichalomvichalomvichalom..dedededede!! obviously sung quick! (or that's how my dad used to sing it! :disguise:

i remember that song too ,and lol your dad used to sing it ,i must be getting old when you say your dad ,as i sang it too

The one game that sticks out was the home game against Sunderland in 1977/78.

The first time Vic had played against his old club since his move to the Latics.

Sunderland fans ran onto the pitch putting scarves around him treating him like the God he was !

I remember the Sunderland fans singing that day "Vic Halom King of all Geordies" when he was subbed near the end of the game.

Remember that game well exile, the Mackens sang the "Vic Halom King Of All Geordies" song longer and louder than the Chaddy that day.

I remember when Vic was at the Tics that i was just a wee bairn of 11 or 12. He had a house in Grasscroft opposite Lovers Lane and at the time i was at Saddleworth School and lived in Springhead. Every afternoon i would barge my way to the upper deck of the school bus and ensure that i was sat on the left side of the bus just to make sure i could see over the road wall and see Mr Haloms house (i'm not a stalker or anything folks, honest). I swear he was once getting into his car when i went past, then again it could have been his neighbour but at the time it was a stone wall sighting in my book and i went home a very happy Tic.

Also seem to remeber him scoring two or three at home against Carlisle AND it was on MAach Of The Day and i was sat directly behind the Chaddy goal on the advertisement boards with a flag in my hand, a scarf on each arm and a scarf round my neck. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh happy days

big vic

A powerful striker who scored a wonder goal in the fifth-round replay against Manchester City, Halom played in 110 games, scoring 35 goals. He began at Charlton and had spells at Leyton Orient, Fulham and Luton. After three years at Roker Park, he joined Oldham and then Rochdale. He coached in Norway, managed Barrow and Rochdale, and fought as a Liberal Democrat candidate for Sunderland in the 1992 general election. He now runs a customer service company based in Manchester
and i met him in london when he was manger of i think bradford ? or posh when they played brentford ,he gave me a free ticket to to game .. Edited by boboafc

i remember that song too ,and lol your dad used to sing it ,i must be getting old when you say your dad ,as i sang it too

haha sorry about that bob, i was actually around when they sung that....though my early childhood doesn't recall that 1!! and i needed my owd fellas recollection! :Israel::lookers:

Big bustling barrel chested monster of a forward who wouldn't last 2 minutes these days as refs do like anybody to be too rough with the delicate little luvs on the pitch. My favourite goal was a cracking overhead kick (have I mentioned this before :) ) that he scored in the first home game of the 77/78 season, a night match against there's only one f in Fulham. He tried it again a few weeks later in the League Cup against Brighton, notice Mark spacker Lawrenson

brightonhalomoverhead30lf8.jpg

Anyway here's another Vic pic scoring against Burnley

burnleyhalomgoal271277uq4.jpg

Finally, and I don't think I've posted or mentioned this before either, a Vic near miss against Notts County (Stevie Taylors debut) featuring me :)

nottsc151177meuf4.jpg

More pics from 77/78 can be seen on the smashing video made by Rummy just clicky this linky I don't like cricket, I love it .