Oldham East and Saddleworth By-election

Who would you vote for?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. The electorate have been usurped by two out-of-touch judges, resulting in a by-election and other injustices. How do you vote?

• Labour (Debbie Abrahams)
    • "Liberal" "Democrat" (Crybaby Catman Watkins)
    • Conservative (Kashif "Floats like a bee and stings like a butterfly" Ali)
    • BNP (Nick "Not Gay At All" Griffin)
    • Libertarian (Gregg "2Gs" Beaman)
    • UKIP (Paul "Nuts" Nuttall)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't take it seriously when Labour supporters start bleating about u-turns and broken promises.

Absolutely startling lack of self awareness.

I wasn't best pleased when labour U-Turned on the fees first time around... and then the second time... but surely even yourself can see the level of U-Turn being operated in the last couple of months.

I do like to think I am harsh towards Labour when they back track as I am with the Tories and the Lib Dems at the moment. Everyone should be angry about the level of U-Turn going on at the moment. It makes our whole democracy look ridiculous and the respect for the voter is terrible.

Something else which stuck me today as well. Remember those billboard adverts about "Gordon wants to set free 10,000 prisoners."... And now we have Ken Clarke telling us prison doesn't work and is about to set more people free... Beggars belief...

Never been more disillusioned with politics.

I am not really interested in this whole party bun fight. I am not a Labour support any more. Unless a Blair type figure takes over I haven't got much interest in them at the moment. All the parties seem distant from what I want at the moment.

Edited by oafc0000

Guest Scratch2000uk
The main one I can think of for the Tories backtracking is the knifecrime one, and that sure as hell is down to the coalition and funds as they'd like nothing more than to throw away the key).

Oh right, i was under the impression that Ken clarke wants to reduce prison populations, then trying to reform/rehabilitate them ( junkies and drunks that is ) when released. by withdrawing "Legal Highs"

I can't see that working somehow, and reducing the police force isn't going to help either. :unsure:

Perhaps we should remember that the recommendation for restructuring of tuition fees came from a group of experts commissioned by the LABOUR Government.

Labour would ALSO have increased tuition fees - that much was admitted on QT last Thursday.

Its kind of besides the point though...

When you have a party that so adamantly opposed the rising of tuition fees, had it in their manifesto to reduce them and scrap them AND personally signed pledges and got in power from that policy, well I honestly can never remember a u-turn like it.

Its kind of embarrassing to see Lib Dem supporters like yourself try to justify it and only goes to show why people should stay well clear in the future.

At least the majority of atavists are humble enough to be deeply embarrassed about the whole thing.

Edited by oafc0000

The Tories are quite fair that way. They say they are going to screw you and do. Whereas the LibLab bunch throw away the vasoline to prove they aren't going to screw you. Then do.

I used to think this about the Tories, at least they do it to your face... Cameron basically lied through his teeth to gain power... and it might hurt him... The Child Benefit cut was a big kick in the bollocks for a lot of traditional Tory voters... and the average middle class mum is NOT going to like what happens with the education system over the next five years.

What this whole saga makes clear to me is that very few people seem to understand what "coalition" means.

The Lib Dems made one significant mistake in all of this. That mistake was to agree to the SU challenge for Lib Dem candidates to sign the pledge not to increase tuition fees. That was the act of a no hope, 3rd place party that supports whatever policies it wishes in the knowledge it'll never find itself in power and having to stand by them. By that point in the campaign, Lib Dem leadership should have realised that playing some part in a coalition was an entirely plausible outcome, and that the first term of the next government would be dominated by spending cuts. As for the manifesto, if 13 years of Labour has shown us one thing above all, that is to take election manifestos as works of idealistic fiction.

What this whole saga makes clear to me is that very few people seem to understand what "coalition" means.

The Lib Dems made one significant mistake in all of this. That mistake was to agree to the SU challenge for Lib Dem candidates to sign the pledge not to increase tuition fees. That was the act of a no hope, 3rd place party that supports whatever policies it wishes in the knowledge it'll never find itself in power and having to stand by them. By that point in the campaign, Lib Dem leadership should have realised that playing some part in a coalition was an entirely plausible outcome, and that the first term of the next government would be dominated by spending cuts. As for the manifesto, if 13 years of Labour has shown us one thing above all, that is to take election manifestos as works of idealistic fiction.

Yeah because Labour was the first to do it... Don't let your dislike for a political party cloud the facts of history...

What I will say is the coalition is being used as an excuse to backtrack on more polices than I have ever seen before. I can think of a handful Labour didn't live up to. I can think of more in the last 6 months than Labour did in 13 years.

The raising of tuition fees should of been a cast iron No from the Libs for them to retain respect in the public. I don't see them recovering from it.

Cameron has deployed a master stroke with the tuition fees argument. he has made Nick Clegg the most disliked person in the country and that is some achievement for a Tory PM. Its getting to the stage now where Cameron should think about ditching Clegg and the coalition in my eyes. Clegg is a liability to him going forward. Two years at most and we will be back at the polls with a damaged Lib Dems and a terribly lead Labour movement. I think the Tories will be stupid to wait to long for another election. Even considering the pain of the collation will be putting on people.

Edited by oafc0000

That isn't going to happen. Clegg and Cameron both promised to do a full term.

:lol:

You really think that counts for anything ? Even without pointing out the other broken promises... Cameron will do what he wants to do and what is best for the Tories... At the moment the collation gives him power to do almost anything he wants... Soon as its becomes a lame duck he will drop it and go for full control.

Edited by oafc0000

Labour weren't the first political party to lie to the electorate, or indeed to get themselves elected on a pack of lies, but under Blair and Brown they took it to unprecedented levels.

Don't let your support of a political party cloud the facts.

As for an election in two years, I doubt it. And it'd make very little difference - Labour will be unelectable for the next twenty never mind two. Mr Bean is the weakest leader you've had since Michael Foot.

You really think that counts for anything ? Even without pointing out the other broken promises... Cameron will do what he wants to do and what is best for the Tories... At the moment the collation gives him power to do almost anything he wants... Soon as its becomes a lame duck he will drop it and go for full control.

I thought you'd like that one :wink:

Labour weren't the first political party to lie to the electorate, or indeed to get themselves elected on a pack of lies, but under Blair and Brown they took it to unprecedented levels.

Don't let your support of a political party cloud the facts.

As for an election in two years, I doubt it. And it'd make very little difference - Labour will be unelectable for the next twenty never mind two. Mr Bean is the weakest leader you've had since Michael Foot.

People in glass houses.......

People in glass houses.......

On the contrary. I have no concerns about Nick Clegg, it's the rest of the party membership that troubles me deeply. I fear too many of them may be too left wing and too self righteous to stomach the fight and have shown themselves willing to risk a major split at the first sign of any upheaval with the Tories. Far too many so called Lib Dem supporters are "anyone but Tory" rather than "anyone but Labour".

On the contrary. I have no concerns about Nick Clegg, it's the rest of the party membership that troubles me deeply. I fear too many of them may be too left wing and too self righteous to stomach the fight and have shown themselves willing to risk a major split at the first sign of any upheaval with the Tories. Far too many so called Lib Dem supporters are "anyone but Tory" rather than "anyone but Labour".

Its funny how you seem to dislike the likes of Blair yet are fully in bed with two Blair clones... :) Smooth lieing bastards :P

Edited by oafc0000

I don't see them as Blair clones. Just because they have a polished tv demeanour doesn't make them Blair clones.

Although, I'll agree on your description of Bliar.

Only the shallowest of students with the shortest of memories (plenty of them admittedly) hate Clegg more than Bliar.

Edited by garcon