Overheard in the main stand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, with about five minutes left.

"That Tounkara's got a few nice touches but he's not a goalscorer."

Gotta hold my hand up, i also think he's not a REGULAR goalscorer.......at the moment. Sometimes when in the box when a bit of a cool head is needed he seems to have a rush of blood and tries to break the net.....as was seen yesterday.

His workrate can't be faulted though, i just think we still need that elusive poacher.

Hope i'm wrong and he goes on to hit 20 goals this season :grin:

Got a point to some degree, he is not a prolific scorer ( only scored 6) but still maybe he finished more of his chances then he'd be a goalscorer

I'd agree with that. Since his arrival his hold up play has improved tenfold and showed Yesterday that he has developed a smarter way of playing (chest down to play it onto Morais I think) but overall seems to want about half a second too long before getting a shot away. He is a good target man but seems to be without a true strikers instinct like a Beckett or Hughes.

I think Tonk has been a good player for us but everybody knows if we had someone who could pop it in the onion bag on a regular basis we would probably be comfortably in the play offs. Someone to play of Tonk BTW not to replace him.

he has been fantastic all season - has a great all-round game and is only 20!!!!

Give him another 3 years and if we can snap him up in June and get PD working with him on his shooting he will be one hell of a forward!

He works his knackers off all game every game and he is starting to get his goal rewards - 2 in 2 now ;)

This lad will get better and better.

Pace, skill and strength and he's not far off a goal every three games.

I was thinking that. If he carries on and gets to say 11 or 12 for the season, that wouldn't be the worst tally we've had from a forward. I'd prefer that than 20 from a Beckett type player where if he doesn't score, we don't score.

Take it that we all rate him then :lol:

He is certainly a hand full for most defences at this level. His control and shooting isn't the best, but there's enough there to be worked on. We've also seen some point blank header's fly wide too. I still think when all is taken into account he's done well for us this season.

He is certainly a hand full for most defences at this level. His control and shooting isn't the best, but there's enough there to be worked on. We've also seen some point blank header's fly wide too. I still think when all is taken into account he's done well for us this season.

said the same yesterday,he is a big handfull for defenders having to double up on him....needs to work on his first touch and learn to shoot straight but other than that he will be a big star in a few years time...just makes me piss when he sprints,head back legs up ...

The first comment was bang on - he's not got the goalscoring instinct yet.

What I would say though is that he's got some great physical attributes and importantly is improving all the time. His performance yesterday was so much better, and so much more polished, than earlier in the season - if he continues like that then he'll do very well.

Plus he looks like he loves it; top work.

I thought his performance yesterday was one of his best to date so far.

+1

great run and finish from the goal, made the defence know he was there, got a couple of kicks because of it but still carried on and got a goal and assist.

if he puts more chances like the one he skied over in the first half away, he's a good striker.

The first comment was bang on - he's not got the goalscoring instinct yet.

What I would say though is that he's got some great physical attributes and importantly is improving all the time. His performance yesterday was so much better, and so much more polished, than earlier in the season - if he continues like that then he'll do very well.

Plus he looks like he loves it; top work.

I'd say his instinct is fine, it's his composure that needs to improve. He had a chance before his goal that just needed stroking into the net and he blasted it. His goal wasn't blasted, but the keeper did get a touch (foot) to it.

Composure can be learned, instinct cannot.

That bloody 'sprint' in the second half, about half the length of the pitch!! He looked like Forest Gump on acid, i was crying with laughter...run Tonk run ya beauty :grin:

Nah- he runs like a chicken. The phrase "pin your ears back" doesn't apply- if he pinned his ears back anymore he'd be able to hear out of his arse. I think he holds on to his jersey too. Plus at one point I thought I saw Taylor breaking out the same running style.

I've been very impressed with him, he won't bag 20 goals a season more than the odd time, but he contributes far more to a team than some who will.

said the same yesterday,he is a big handfull for defenders having to double up on him....needs to work on his first touch and learn to shoot straight but other than that he will be a big star in a few years time...just makes me piss when he sprints,head back legs up ...

+ ears pinned back