Andy Gray and Richard Keys disciplined

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9371642.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12263398

wouldnt get fined if they said it about a male lino would they?

They wouldn't have been derogatory about a male linesman and brought the fact that he is male up and used it as the only reason he wasn't going to do his job properly.

The thing is that it was a private conversation which was only meant for their own consumption and did not go out on air. Thought Crime!

I guess wearing mics for many years makes them forget they're actually there and people are listening. Nice people who pass it onto the papers.

The thing is that it was a private conversation which was only meant for their own consumption and did not go out on air. Thought Crime!

I guess wearing mics for many years makes them forget they're actually there and people are listening. Nice people who pass it onto the papers.

Thing is if they had been BBC or ITV pundits, i'm sure the various other arms of Murdoch's empire would hang them out to dry like Atkinson was (and rightly so). Double standards again from News International, prejudice is prejudice...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9371642.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12263398

wouldnt get fined if they said it about a male lino would they?

What would have happened if it would have been a black or Asian liner?

Couldn't resist a chuckle at what they said about Wendy Toms. Proper golf clubhouse chat was that.

Couldn't resist a chuckle at what they said about Wendy Toms. Proper golf clubhouse chat was that.

She was :censored:e though :wink: Nowt to do with her sex..same as Mr Matador is :censored:e too and that's nowt to do with him being Asian, simply that he and Ms Toms are crap linos…

As for the lino on Saturday I thought she did very well, bloomin' young though...

Thing is if they had been BBC or ITV pundits, i'm sure the various other arms of Murdoch's empire would hang them out to dry like Atkinson was (and rightly so). Double standards again from News International, prejudice is prejudice...

I have seen somewhere online today that Andy Gray's phone was one of those 'hacked' by the News of the World and that he was suing them over it. Then suddenly an off air conversation featuring him is passed onto the media by someone at Sky - i.e a News International employee. Maybe it wasnt an employee with a grudge, or someone outraged at their chat - maybe it was his employers putting him in his place.

I thought the whole converstion was quite funny actually, private off mic banter that was never intended for public consumption, Keys comment regarding Karren Brady really made me laugh.

I thought the whole converstion was quite funny actually, private off mic banter that was never intended for public consumption, Keys comment regarding Karren Brady really made me laugh.

I think they were being slightly ironical - I think they knew people would be listening in and performed the role of stereotypical middle-aged clowns. They should have their own sketch show.

I think 24Hours makes the most pertinent point - if this had been them making racial stereotypes and not sexual ones then even the notoriously right-leaning NewsCorp couldn't have stood by them.

However as it's sex which is in question they'll likely get off with a slap on the wrist. Wrong, but the way the world works sadly.

Oh - as for the 'thought police' argument - it's not really applicable because if I were to say something overtly racist/sexist/homophobic (etc) to a friend at work and be 'caught' in some way, by a colleague or a member of the public, then I'd be liable to reprimand or sacking - it might not be a direct product of my job but I'm representing my company and saying things which are entirely unacceptable.

Oh - as for the 'thought police' argument - it's not really applicable because if I were to say something overtly racist/sexist/homophobic (etc) to a friend at work and be 'caught' in some way, by a colleague or a member of the public, then I'd be liable to reprimand or sacking - it might not be a direct product of my job but I'm representing my company and saying things which are entirely unacceptable.

Binned for tonight

Keys and Gray

Time someone put these two self-opinionated no marks n their place and time they are told they know fook-all about football….

Edited by oafcprozac

Call me an evil sexist but I personally, like most others I suspect, dont think suggesting women dont know what the offside rule is is in any way whatsoever anywhere near as bad as saying that someone is a "Lazy f****** thick n*****" as Atkinson did. It just isnt the same thing, not in the same league but all over the shop today I am reading that they should be sacked because it's no different from Ron Atkinson.

As for the "well they were at work" argument I can see the validity of that argument but think we're in exceptionally dangerous territory if we think people should be sacked for things they say in conversation with their workmates. If I go into the office tomorrow and have a chat with the bloke opposite me about how all the women we've worked with who have had the same job as us have been rubbish should that mean I should get sacked? It's a small sample size due to the nature of the work but it is correct. It is like a thought crime and people wanting people sacked for personal conversations are the thought police.And if tomorrow I also overhear a woman say to another how men are crap at something should I report them?

I would like now to place on record that I have never liked Andy Gray and that I believe women are just as capable of men as knowing what offside is.

Oh, and Karen Brady is inept.

There's a context though isn't there.

These people are paid to report on officials as part of their job. No matter how much we wish it wasn't so they have a very substantial influence over the game.

As a result their opinions carry an influence over the official. A crude analogy would be to say you were talking about a customer at work saying how you don't like dealing with her on your account because she's a woman and a man would do it better. Crude, like I say, but provides an image.

If that woman were to find out your opinion via overhearing then it would impact on her ability to do her job not just with you but with those who you work with.

I hear you Ackey and yes I can see your point but I still think that it's not quite the same. I can see, for example, that if a woman doing the same job as me overheard me make my hypothetical remark then it would be verrrrrry bad but I dont think the two Sky bods should be axed for whaffling on to each other about their own views about women in football - even though they are boorish.

And Tulsehill, I know what you mean but sometimes I think yeurgh and then others think hmm you know what I think I would. I was within 30 foot of her the other week and it was more of the latter but then I mused that anyone with that kind of salary could look half decent. Ooops, I'm betraying my stone age views again

I hear you Ackey and yes I can see your point but I still think that it's not quite the same. I can see, for example, that if a woman doing the same job as me overheard me make my hypothetical remark then it would be verrrrrry bad but I dont think the two Sky bods should be axed for whaffling on to each other about their own views about women in football - even though they are boorish.

And Tulsehill, I know what you mean but sometimes I think yeurgh and then others think hmm you know what I think I would. I was within 30 foot of her the other week and it was more of the latter but then I mused that anyone with that kind of salary could look half decent. Ooops, I'm betraying my stone age views again

Whether you would or wouldn't and all the factors involved is basically a stone age question, so you're alright there. I always think yeah. I can't imagine someone that powerful not being absolute dynamite in the cot.

a joke andy gray would like ...The referee for last weekend's Liverpool game has said that he was very happy with the female assistant's performance.

He said she did a great job ironing his kit, and the half-time sandwiches were delicious.

I've not heard the manner in which things were said, only read the transcript.

I read it as an off-air jovial laddish conversation that's a bit tongue in cheek. There's something of a novelty factor about a young woman running the line.

Not a million miles off moaning about the wife with your mates in the pub, even though you love her really. And I'm sure "wimmin" have similar conversations in reverse.

If the politically correct world we live in today frowns on such goings on demands discipliniary action, then so be it.

Personally I think there are more important things the world should be worrying about. May be I'm turning in to a dinosaur.

(By the way, the woman running the line for the game in question appeared competent for the 45 minutes I saw and probably understands the offside rule better than me).

I've not heard the manner in which things were said, only read the transcript.

I read it as an off-air jovial laddish conversation that's a bit tongue in cheek. There's something of a novelty factor about a young woman running the line.

Not a million miles off moaning about the wife with your mates in the pub, even though you love her really. And I'm sure "wimmin" have similar conversations in reverse.

If the politically correct world we live in today frowns on such goings on demands discipliniary action, then so be it.

Personally I think there are more important things the world should be worrying about. May be I'm turning in to a dinosaur.

(By the way, the woman running the line for the game in question appeared competent for the 45 minutes I saw and probably understands the offside rule better than me).

Nooooooo.... You've got to make out like it really offended you....